SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Switch from iPhone 6 to Samsung 8?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Switch from iPhone 6 to Samsung 8? Login/Join 
Picture of FlyingScot
posted
I’ll stay part of the apple ecosystem, but giving this consideration. Today, my music, photos, etc can all stay in iCloud but be accessed as easily with Android. What am I missing here?

I really don’t see the iPhoneX as compelling, don’t care about face recognition. Compared To Samsung, the iPhone camera is lousy and I do care about that.

Not trying to start a religious war, I’m practical and in assessing this came up. Anyone already gone through the same? What decision did you make?

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingScot:
Not trying to start a religious war, I’m practical and in assessing this came up. Anyone already gone through the same? What decision did you make?

I went the other direction: Android -> iPhone.

There are many things about Android devices my wife and I miss, but the ecosystem's execrable security record is not one of them, and that trumps convenience, for us, every time.

Even my wife, who occasionally says things like "I liked my Android phone better" is uninterested in switching back.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I have an IPhone 7 and could not be happier with the change from the 6. The fact that it is water resistant down to 30’ with no case is pretty damn amazing, and prices are dropping with the release of the 8 and X.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15571 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
I have a 6S and I'm giving serious consideration to a Pixel 2.

I check email, use safari, and make phone calls; yet, for some reason iOS has caused my phone to lock constantly. Every time I open safari or the built-in mail app, it locks for 3-10 seconds. This phone was the bee's knees for iOS 10. I take good care of it, it has over 30gb of free space, and yet Apple has seen fit to make this phone a terrible experience and waste of time.

I'm eagerly anticipating either an SE refresh (to gain hardware speed and step down in size) or to leave the Apple iPhone ecosystem. It pains me, but if I regain all of this time I spend waiting, I'll be happier.

I'd love to hear about switches from iOS to Android. I already know I'll probably hate it in a lot of ways.

*Shakes fist in the air at Apple*

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9154 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
My wife was an iPhone user from the beginning but she got tired of Apple and went from the 5s to a Samsung and never looked back.

There was a serious learning curve that she had to power through. It took her a few weeks of referring to the manual before she felt like she really had the ew phone figured out but she is on her 2nd Samsung phone and thinking about switching to the Note.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My fiance just picked up a note 8 from an iphone 6+. There has been a learning curve, but overall I think she is much happier with it. The past 6 months to a years worth of apple os updates rendered her phone nearly unusable.

The dual camera on the note 8 is pretty damn good.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
You might want to look at the LG G6 instead of the S8. Very similar features with great cameras and water proof. The G6 has no face recognition but does have fingerprint security.

The biggest selling point for me was the price difference of $300 less for the G6 with the LG promotions that are going on right now.

There are a number of videos on YouTube comparing the 2 platforms. Check them out before you make a decision.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
I just switched from an iPhone 6s+ to a Google Pixel 2 XL and couldn't be happier. I can customize it the way I want, it's super fast, the camera is amazing, it has dual front facing speakers, Google Assistant kicks Siri's ass, no more messing around with iTunes, and I'm done with those POS lightening chargers.

The one thing I thought I would miss is FaceTime, but Google's Duo app is every bit as good if not better.

Posts: 1812 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes there was a learning curve for me going from iOS to Android but has never looked back.

Pixel 2 XL is great but pricy. Currently I am running both Nexus 6p and Galaxy S7 Edge. Hard to believe but I do prefer the S7 edge with TouchWiz over the bland Nexus running Oreo. Camera on the S7 edge is very nice. You can find new S7 edge (5.5" screen) for about $400.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I've always preferred Android, so I can't comment on that. I went to a Guns and Roses show earlier this month with some people coworkers who use Apple. The pictures that came off my Galaxy S8 are orders of magnitude better that whatever IPhones they have. I think they both have 6s. We had nosebleed seats and of course the lighting was terrible, but it was a huge difference. The difference was even more obvious when we looked at the videos.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I would like to use an android phone, tried it twice. I just don't like how I have to manage in which memory do programs go between the phone and the SD. And some apps don't like being run from the SD. That's my main problem with it.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
IN the process of switching wife's iphone 6 to S8, its SO fun.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
I currently have a 6+ as a work phone and a Galaxy S7 as my personal phone. My strong preference is for the Android device, but I can work either one just as well. Android is more flexible and provides better control over the operating system. Plus, the simple addition of a "back" button makes a world of difference in usability. Better screen and better camera on the Samsung as well.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5282 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
I have a 6S and I'm giving serious consideration to a Pixel 2.

I check email, use safari, and make phone calls; yet, for some reason iOS has caused my phone to lock constantly. Every time I open safari or the built-in mail app, it locks for 3-10 seconds. This phone was the bee's knees for iOS 10. I take good care of it, it has over 30gb of free space, and yet Apple has seen fit to make this phone a terrible experience and waste of time.

I'm eagerly anticipating either an SE refresh (to gain hardware speed and step down in size) or to leave the Apple iPhone ecosystem. It pains me, but if I regain all of this time I spend waiting, I'll be happier.

I'd love to hear about switches from iOS to Android. I already know I'll probably hate it in a lot of ways.

*Shakes fist in the air at Apple*

My son (who works for ATT) just bought a Pixel 2 and loves it. I was really surprised at how light it was and it seems like a great device!

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by saigonsmuggler:

Pixel 2 XL is great but pricy.

We got two of the 128gb version Pixel 2 XL's on Verizon's pre black Friday sale for $475.00 each with a qualifying trade in. Basically buy one get one free with a trade.

Posts: 1812 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I went 6S to the iPhone 8. Pretty happy so far.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Android makes me nervous because of this kind of story.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/w...ou-ask-it-not-to/amp

quote:

In a perplexing violation of privacy norms, Android phones collect the location of nearby cell towers even if you’ve turned off location services. The company confirmed the practice to Quartz, saying that the feature was in place to improve push notifications and messages. It also said it would stop doing so by the end of November.

I want to trust Google, but find it difficult when they need so much information about you to support their core business.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Android makes me nervous because of this kind of story.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/w...ou-ask-it-not-to/amp

quote:

In a perplexing violation of privacy norms, Android phones collect the location of nearby cell towers even if you’ve turned off location services. The company confirmed the practice to Quartz, saying that the feature was in place to improve push notifications and messages. It also said it would stop doing so by the end of November.

I want to trust Google, but find it difficult when they need so much information about you to support their core business.

I wouldn't doubt that Apple does some tracking as well. Data is money to these companies and they will collect it and sell it.

I could care less if I'm tracked as I go nowhere interesting and I probably just muddle the data pool. Now, if the Shit hits the FAN and .gov starts using these devices to locate wanted people, we'll have to alter our processes.

I'm Android, wife is Apple. I detest the constant updates that fix a bug in the last update. Get it right the first time.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
I could care less if I'm tracked as I go nowhere interesting and I probably just muddle the data pool. Now, if the Shit hits the FAN and .gov starts using these devices to locate wanted people, we'll have to alter our processes.
RMD

By then it would be too late. The government would already have the power.

Apple has no revenue from tracking, and they have made it an explicit part of their business model not to do so. You may not believe them, but I see no place where you can buy ad space from Apple.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I don’t know how you can call the camera on the X crap. I have one and it’s fucking great. If I were to go Android it would Be a pixel. I think that the Samsung phones would be a lot better if it were plain android. All the blotware and crap is annoying. I had an S5 for a short period and the fact that I had 3 different messaging apps was ridiculous (it came with the Android one, the Samsung one, and a Verizon one.) At the time I had 5 different email addresses; some corporate through exchange server, some corporate through gmail, some personal. There wasn’t a single email app that handled all of them. I had two use 2 different apps. The stock IOS email just works without issue. I also had issues with setting defaults. For instance I downloaded the google keyboard and every day it would ask me to choose a keyboard even though I chose it as default every day. All the hoopla about customization also means that you sometimes have to customize it for it to just work. I prefer the simplicity of Iphone and perhaps would enjoy the pixel experience since it is more stripped down. I communicate 90% via text message and the vast majority of people I know have iPhones so messaging is way easier.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post