SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gorsuch hearing
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 20
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gorsuch hearing Login/Join 
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
^^^^
And why should there be any trust? Schumer already lied to them a few months ago during the cabinet confirmations. Nuke 'em.

ANYONE who dosen't think Schumer would do it without blinking an eye is an idiot.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Voting on Cloture Motion right now......

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1527 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by entropy:
The only thing the dims understand is raw political power. We need to wield it without remorse and with extreme prejudice. Teach them a lesson that will hurt for a long time.

Words to live by!

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once again, our "representatives" are not looking out for the countries best interest but of their own.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BGULL:
Voting on Cloture Motion right now......

The No votes are now at 41....time to go nuclear....

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1527 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Before some of you lose your minds with rage that McConnell just changed his vote to "no," be aware that is a procedural move to allow him to bring it up again later, a privilege of the Majority Leader.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Cloture failed on a 55-45 vote, with 60 necessary to proceed to the floor vote for confirmation.

To initiate the Reid Option, Mitch McConnell changed his vote to “no” in order to bring up the privileged motion to reconsider, the next step in the process.

Posts: 19572 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I'd like to find the jerk who started calling this "the nuclear option" and beat them senseless with a bag full of doorknobs. When they come to, I'll give them another good pounding. I am so freakin' sick of hearing that stupid shit.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suppose the rule change will come back to bite us at some point, but might as well use it while we can. Set up the court as conservatively as possible and hold off the liberals for a decade or two.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I call it The Reid Protocol....

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Here's a different perspective - that maybe the loss of the filibuster is not such a disaster...

Good Riddance to the Filibuster

If the Democrats use the filibuster to protest Neil Gorsuch’s nomination, it might be the only constructive purpose the practice has ever served.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12329 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
not 100% sure, but I think senate is voting now on a motion by the DEMs to postpone consideration to 24 April.

The vote to delay revote until April 24 fails 48-52.

now Schumer asks to delay the revote until 5 p.m. -- there is an audible sigh from the chair.

The delay till 5pm will be voted down. 52 votes NO already

update: I think the vote is happening now to break the filibuster for SC nominations.

Posts: 19572 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Sausage is being made on CSPAN2, if you get that channel.

Schumer is hilarious with that motion to postpone so the President, Republicans and GDCs can come together on an acceptable nominee.

The Senate is powered by hypocrisy, the nearest to infinite energy source known to man.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Senate is powered by hypocrisy, the nearest to infinite energy source known to man.

Beautiful Maxim! Could it be broadened to: Politicians are powered by hypocrisy, the nearest to an infinite energy known to man?

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Here's a different perspective - that maybe the loss of the filibuster is not such a disaster...

Good Riddance to the Filibuster

If the Democrats use the filibuster to protest Neil Gorsuch’s nomination, it might be the only constructive purpose the practice has ever served.

Why do they even call it a filibuster if they don't have to speak?
If you want to filibuster, you ought to have to speak. If you want to speak, SPEAK!
Speak until you drop... and then we will call the vote!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24108 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
McConnell starts the process of using The Reid Protocol. Gorsuch will be a SCOTUS on Friday

https://www.bloomberg.com/poli...rump-high-court-pick

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Nuke deployed!

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10938 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
I call it The Reid Protocol....

Or "The Harry Reid Option?": Sen. Rand Paul Defends Going Nuclear, Says Harry Reid Set The Precedent

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As long as both sides keep playing along party lines and not doing what is best for the county, might as well revert the rule.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
Nuke deployed!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post