SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    To all of the Vietnam Veterans
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

To all of the Vietnam Veterans Login/Join 
posted Hide Post

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by molachi:
Thanks for that. Don't know about others but the only "welcome home" I got was from my family.

Me too brother, me too.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would like to add my thanks to them for their service. I served 69-72 but was stationed in Europe.

It is nice to see veterans getting good treatment from citizens today. It was not always nice back then.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Day late but Welcome Home my brothers and sisters in arms.

Kevin
101st Airborne Division
Vietnam, 1971

Posts: 697 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: July 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
I'm an in-country vet, U.S. Army. I experienced the treatment returning vets got from college hippies, employers, even people in my parent's Baptist church. I learned quick; don't tell anyone about it.
I am thankful to see soldiers returning from the Mideast being welcomed and celebrated...Thanks guys and girls, I am proud of you.
As far as thanking me, don't. I was just a Sgt in the motor pool. Saw a bit of action, but no heroic deeds.
Thanking veterans has gotten to be a PC thing. Average Joe has no clue what you actually did, what you saw. I read somewhere you really want to show appreciation ask the vet what and how it was, and LISTEN! CNN isn't able to give you the thoughts a vet who has been there can.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
Old Rider said:
quote:
even people in my parent's Baptist church

In my case it was from the pulpit in a Catholic church. The guy was frothing. I watched my mom start to get agitated between watching me and the sky-pilot so I just got up to leave; I got to the back of the pews, just before the door and an usher grabbed my elbow and told me I couldn't leave that mass wasn't over. I responded with an honest to pete threat of bodily harm and he let me go. Good thinking I thought then and now.

I have heard very few homecoming stories that I haven't believed. It was a different time and place and i don't miss it. Hippie chicks were cool though until they found out you weren't drafted and you weren't really a clerk-typist in the motor pool.

Posts: 6390 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
My dad, uncles and great uncles thanks you for remembering!

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6010 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by molachi:
Thanks for that. Don't know about others but the only "welcome home" I got was from my family.

This was the same for me ...twice.

Posts: 6618 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

Posts: 183 | Location: Clifton, TX, USA | Registered: September 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
My post was not to demean the good people that went over because of the draft or who joined on their own like I did. But after seeing the result of the war and how it went communist after all the efforts we made and the blood and treasure expended makes me sad. If you go over there today there are numerous Fortune 500 American companies doing business in VN like nothing happened. The Vietnamese people were great but were sold out by their corrupt leaders and suffered horribly as a result.

The VA, with their numerous non-veteran employees, will award a disability rating up to 50% but it is very difficult to get the 60% rating since that rating entitles the soldier to open the federal job register and place themselves on the job postings. It is a little known trick to keep the vets from applying for jobs that go to non-vet applicants. I am painting that with a broad brush but check it out.

Thanks to the OP for his thoughts and well wishes.

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I did three tours in SEA and my experience was very different from many. Maybe it was because my friends and family were warriors themselves but we were all very proud of our service and the service of others. Most civilian police departments were also heavily populated with Vietnam vets as well. What aggravated me so much was the political cowardice of our national command authority and their refusal to unleash military leadership to get the job done right. For all the political chicanery and corruption involved, we did a lot of good things for the right reasons in that war.

I am still angry, ashamed, and heartbroken at the debacle of April 29, 1975, when my country's leadership showed its cowardice to the world by turning tail and fleeing the rooftops. We had won that damn war and then threw it away, demeaning all the blood and sacrifice of those who served. I strongly believe attacks on America like the Iranian Hostage Crisis and others following occurred because of our shameful display of national cowardice. But nothing should diminish the courage and selfless sacrifice of those who served. It brings a tear to my eye to contemplate the depth of commitment to country and comrades in arms displayed by our heroes in that, and all other conflicts before and after. We must honor those who fell on Memorial Day, and to all those who served on Veteran's day, but that must continue 365 days per year.

History repeats itself and the cowards in our last administration continued in like fashion by withdrawing our troops from Iraq and Afghanistan and failing to support them. Thank God our military leadership learned the lasting lessons of the Vietnam War. The lieutenants and captains of that war became the generals who were determined to properly train our military. And we now have a national command authority that is intent on putting some meat on the bone of our military.

My service spanned 41 years until 2011, active and reserve. The advances in training and equipment, and the quality and attitudes of senior leadership over that period is extraordinary.

I am proud of every moment of my service, including Vietnam, and am doubly proud of the service of three of my grown children. God Bless the magnificent American men and women past and present who have been chosen to serve something greater than themselves. And please raise a glass with me to comrades absent.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
[W]e did a lot of good things for the right reasons in that war.

We had won that damn war and then threw it away, demeaning all the blood and sacrifice of those who served.

Yes, we did.
Thank you for your excellent comments.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post