SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    To all of the Vietnam Veterans
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

To all of the Vietnam Veterans Login/Join 
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37949 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
And a respectful Thank You to those who didn't make it back

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No shit, you motherfuckers had no internet.

Every Vietnam vet I come across I make it a point to to shake their hand and welcome them back.

I was IQ times two, AF times two. Every time I came back Vietnam vets were welcoming me back instead of spitting on me... as always the current horde of warriors stand on your shoulders with respect.

Don't call if you want a discount at Home Depo or such but read the above and realize you are much fucking appreciated. 1SG T

Posts: 693 | Location: West of the Pecos | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Thanks

Posts: 5615 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all, very much

Posts: 2223 | Location: Lawrenceburg, In | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks

Where's the beer!

Posts: 475 | Location: Oro Valley, Arizona | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A sincere THANK YOU!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Thank you

Posts: 13804 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Yes thank you guys.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Thank you all.

Posts: 11836 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dividing by zero
since 1966
Picture of rekstrom
posted Hide Post
Vietnam veterans, thank you for answering the call. Your service and sacrifice, and those you lost, are not forgotten!

Posts: 2952 | Location: between locations at the moment | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Yes, thanks to you all.

Speaking as someone who was born in 1963, I was about eleven (but more realistically like fifteen) years too young to have gone. You guys are my heroes. Thank you all.

I still have some profoundly distinct memories of that time though.

I remember being a little kid, riding in my great aunt's Rambler (yes, a Rambler) down the main drag in her small Southwest Oklahoma town when I realized I was hearing a newscaster talking about American casualty numbers on the radio. It was probably 1970. All of a sudden, it hit me. I realized for the first time that the U.S. was in a war! This really hit me like a ton of bricks, I distinctly remember actually feeling it in my chest. This was because I could not believe our nation was at war and there was positively no difference that I could see on the home front. Nothing like I heard about with WWII. It kind of pissed me off.

I also remember in 1973 telling my oldest brother who just graduated high school that he was a communist after he inferred that he might try and avoid the draft if were to get a notice. Pretty harsh, yes, but I was very serious at ten years of age about draft dodgers.

I have always regarded the treatment that many vets received upon coming home to be particularly disgusting. So much so that I actually got into a huge fight with a girlfriend in high school (1981) over that very subject. She was a thespian, dontcha know and completely filled with crap about this. When she told me she would have likely done some spitting had she been there, I took her ass home. I am probably the only dumbass in my age group that ever missed getting laid (a sure thing at that particular point) for that particular reason.

I sincerely hope ya'll all had a great day!

Posts: 7248 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I grew up watching the vivid accounts and footage on TV. I was some kind of military historian by age 10 and Vietnam Veterans were largely my inspiration for serving. I wanted to be Airborne. I wanted to be in a LRRP unit. I wanted to follow in the footsteps of giants. When I joined up I went 11X and begged for Jungle Warfare School in Panama. When I joined we were still using the a lot of the same equipment. Quite a few uncles were those Vietnam Vets and I still find myself looking up to them. Giants.

Posts: 6008 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I came back we were told to change into civilian clothes at the airport because of protestors. It didn't work since it was easy to pick out tanned men with military haircuts.

I still remember being cursed at and spit on.

Sgt. USMC 1970 - 1973

Posts: 411 | Location: Columbiana, Ohio  | Registered: May 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
I have no words, as a VN decorated army guy my private thoughts on the draft dodgers, peacenicks, and other pieces of crap including the shithead politicians and non-veteran government workers ar that they need to just die and go away.

We were in a war to protect the rubber plantations for the tire companies. IMHO it had nothing to do with communism. We really had no vital national interest in that area of the world. I flew a joint military-CIA mission north of the DMZ to take a sample of oil/fuel from a pipeline only to discover it was Esso product. We fought and died for the big money an so every memorial day they all get up and make speeches and wave the flag. Fuck'em all.

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
To the OP and others, thank you for the thought. I went with 218 other lieutenants and from late Dec. of 1967 to 1972 we lost 22 killed in action. I remember all of them.

Posts: 6386 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bushpilot:
We fought and died for the big money an so every memorial day they all get up and make speeches and wave the flag. Fuck'em all.

Gee, thanks, bushpilot, for making me aware that I volunteered to fight in a war to enrich Big Oil and Big ... Rubber—? Despite all the books I’ve read on the subject, I’ve never heard those … ideas before. I’m just surprised that the antiwar crowd (then and now) never picked up on them. It would have been much more effective, I believe, than just saying that we didn’t need to keep a small country from being overrun by Communist aggression. I guess all those people the Communists murdered during the war and especially after they succeeded really didn’t matter because they were so far away and didn’t look anything like me.

Now I feel like shit for having been duped so thoroughly all these nearly five decades and will just stop remembering that disgraceful period of my life. Perhaps I should take up watching teevee to help me forget.

Roll Eyes

quote:
Originally posted by bushpilot:
the draft dodgers, peacenicks, and other pieces of crap including the shithead politicians and non-veteran government workers ar that they need to just die and go away.

Seriously, though, if the war was being fought for such illegitimate reasons, I don’t understand your animus toward the draft dodgers and other antiwar folks. It seems to me you should have been firmly on their side in whatever efforts they made to get us out of the war, and be grateful to this day that they were finally successful in getting the US to abandon an entire nation to its fate.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47395 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that. Don't know about others but the only "welcome home" I got was from my family.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post