SIGforum
Anyone near Fairfield, CA?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/5290030634

January 11, 2018, 09:37 PM
dlc444
Anyone near Fairfield, CA?
I checked the member map, Synthplayer and Ontmark are fairly close.

Anyhow, I have to take some continuing education there Feb 15 and 16. Due to the coast-to-coast travel, I am getting into SFO at about 3pm on Valentines day and heading home Saturday morning. Will likely have some time to meet up if the drive isn't too far.

Any suggestions for things to do in the evenings otherwise? Anyone else around that part of the world?

-.---.----.. -.---.----.. -.---.----..
It seems to me that any law that is not enforced and can't be enforced weakens all other laws.
January 11, 2018, 09:46 PM
ElToro
Where is your hotel ? In Fairfield ? Will you have a rental car ? Napa is just a quick skip from there. No car...an Uber To Napa and/or one of the winery bus tours would be fun and you wouldn’t have to drive.
January 11, 2018, 09:46 PM
bobtheelf
Jelly Belly factory is in Fairfield if you like candy...
January 11, 2018, 09:55 PM
dlc444
Hotel is the Hampton Inn in Suisun City. about 10 minutes from the class location. I will have a car, but am not really a wine enthusiast. I have been to Napa about 20+ years ago and did one of the tours into caves and such. Pretty neat.

Would much rather have a great local meal with some (no longer) invisible friends. I have gotten to meet some of you folks at the local and national level, and it is always an enjoyable experience.

It seems to me that any law that is not enforced and can't be enforced weakens all other laws.
January 11, 2018, 10:33 PM
corsair
Suisun City...ugg, right at the foot of Travis AFB runway. You'll hear a lot of heavy cargo aircraft flying around.

I'm in Napa but, unfortunately that date I'm not around. Napa Valley, while wine is dominant, also has excellent food options, good cycling and some decent hiking trails. A bit wet right now with all the rain and after all the fires, a bit ugly in the hills. Nearby Sonoma you can spend several hours wandering around old town with all the historical stuff. Fremont Diner (in-between Sonoma & Napa) is one of the classic roadside diners around, best breakfast in the area.
January 11, 2018, 10:43 PM
Silent
Was in Fairfield last spring for work. I spent the early mornings hiking in the hills above the town; very pretty when the sun comes up.

If you like classic cars Speciality Sales Classics might be worth a visit.

The Bounty Hunter restaurant in Napa is a good place for drinks and a meal.

Silent
January 11, 2018, 11:00 PM
SigSAC
I'm in Sacramento. If some people are available Friday evening, I'd be up for driving down.
January 12, 2018, 01:41 AM
4ftty4
I'm working those days, so won't be around. Fairfield has gotten a bit seedy in the past few years. Kinder's BBQ has great sandwiches. Get the blazing ball tip if you go. Napa has lots of good restaurants for whatever kind of food you like. Red Rock Café has great burgers and BBQ.
January 12, 2018, 01:55 AM
Rey HRH
I'm just 30 miles/minutes south of Fairfield. I can meet up.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.
February 13, 2018, 09:20 PM
dlc444
Just a bump to check if anyone nearby has changed their availability. Email to the two who said it was a possibility.

Hope to meet up.

February 13, 2018, 09:35 PM
drew3630
I live in Fairfield - it's a bedroom community and if you want to do something fun, you go to San Francisco or the Napa Valley. One nice thing about Fairfield is that it is in Solano County and the sheriff is very pro 2nd amendment. There are a lot of CCW holders in the county.
I'm available the 15th if there is still interest.

We used to have a great gun range in Fairfield. It was in the hills around town, on private property and it was in operation since 1947. Since it was a private range, the owner allowed you to shoot like it was a non-California range. Unfortunately new neighbors moved near by, complained to the county about the "noise" and "danger of flying bullets" and the county closed it down. Sorry for the rant.
February 13, 2018, 10:44 PM
sjtill
quote:
We used to have a great gun range in Fairfield. It was in the hills around town, on private property and it was in operation since 1947. Since it was a private range, the owner allowed you to shoot like it was a non-California range. Unfortunately new neighbors moved near by, complained to the county about the "noise" and "danger of flying bullets" and the county closed it down. Sorry for the rant.

Really sorry to hear about that.
Yolo Sporstmen's Association just north of Davis is a nice place to shoot.

February 14, 2018, 07:22 AM
dlc444
Drew

Looks like at least two folks are going to try make something happen. Rey HRH and SigSAC. I will include you in the next round of emails.

February 14, 2018, 02:39 PM
Scott in NCal
Travis Air force Base has a museum well worth a visit. Not sure the hours but they may be open some evening.
February 14, 2018, 04:19 PM
SigSAC
I replied last night - trying to find some place to meet. Anyone have any preferences on cuisine or location?
February 17, 2018, 12:05 AM
SigSAC
Four of us got together tonight in Vacaville. I really enjoyed our time together!

Everyone needs to meet a few other members from the forum along the way.