SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bee hive question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bee hive question Login/Join 
Team Apathy
posted
Is it possible to have maintain a small beehive with very little effort on my part? Some years we don't seem to get much bee attention to our small selection of plants in our backyard. Mostly tomatos, berries, and squash. Is it possible to put a small hive somewhere without it getting huge?

Posts: 6361 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
You might try contacting a beekeeper and asking if they would put a hive on your place.

I took a bee keeping course a few weeks ago. Really seems like a lot of work.

Posts: 832 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgshooter:
You might try contacting a beekeeper and asking if they would put a hive on your place.

I took a bee keeping course a few weeks ago. Really seems like a lot of work.

I would suggest this. And bees have this tendency to multiply!! When the population in the hive gets too high, they swarm and part of the population moves out with a new queen and starts a new colony.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Yeah you can easily find a beekeeper that would love to keep a hive on your property that they would maintain.

Posts: 6345 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:
Is it possible to have maintain a small beehive with very little effort on my part?
\
Short answer? Yes.

You can put as much or (pretty much) as little effort into beekeeping as you like. I've got a buddy who put up two hives last year. Once he did his install, he did absolutely nothing with them until he harvested in September. I'm a little more involved with mine than that, but not much.

Bees have been taking care of themselves without any help just fine for a few million years.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
A little bee related sidetrack...

I saw someone on Craig's List selling 50 gallon drums of high fructose corn syrup, targeting bee keepers. $150.00

My first thought was WTF? Are they cutting their honey with it? that would be pretty profitable. $3 per gallon vs 60-80 per gallon for honey. With little risk of getting caught.

So after a googling... Turns out they are! At least some are, and it's extremely hard for the consumer to detect.

Also some feed it to the bees, and apparently it isn't very good for the bees.

We buy Honey from local bee keepers to mix with fruit juice and vinegar and take 2 or 3 oz daily for arthritis and allergy abatement...

So I was just wondering.
How wide spread or how big of a problem do you think this is?

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:

I saw someone on Craig's List selling 50 gallon drums of high fructose corn syrup, targeting bee keepers. $150.00

My first thought was WTF? Are they cutting their honey with it? that would be pretty profitable. $3 per gallon vs 60-80 per gallon for honey. With little risk of getting caught.

So after a googling... Turns out they are! At least some are, and it's extremely hard for the consumer to detect.

We buy Honey from local bee keepers to mix with fruit juice and vinegar and take 2 or 3 oz daily for arthritis and allergy abatement...

So I was just wondering.

I've read that much commercial honey is actually of Chinese origin. That scares me. I buy mine direct from a local bee keeper and I doubt he is cutting it with syrup, but if he was I'd be beyond livid.

Posts: 6361 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:

So I was just wondering.

It isn't very common, if not non-existent in the local beekeeping world. I can't speak for the commercial apiaries.

Beekeepers do feed sugar water to bees during times of drought or early in the spring before there are adequate nectar sources. But that is usually just 1lb table sugar to 1lb water.

Posts: 6345 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
How much honey is typically harvested from a hive?

posted Hide Post
the l.e.o.'s have seen a pattern here.

Those that place their hives where visible from the county roads, are getting them stolen.

three thefts in the last two years.

those placing them out of sight are not reporting
thefts, so far

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54606 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:
How much honey is typically harvested from a hive?

It really varies depending on the season and the strength of the hive. For a really good season, 60lbs.

Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
It is work but I wouldn't call it alot. The initial setting up of the hives takes time. The building and prep work. The first year is extra work because you have to feed them daily since they are making all the new wax for their hive. After that the bees do most of the work. Just inspect every two weeks and treat for vermin.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A question for the hive, eh?

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post