SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is the recommended virus protection software?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the recommended virus protection software? Login/Join 
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted
Setting up new desktop for my daughter this weekend. Windows 10. 13 year old. Mostly gaming, plus google classroom

What do you recommend?

Thanks

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
You are going to get so many answers. It is like asking what is your favorite ice cream flavor. I personally use McAfee when I had to pay for it and use it today as I do not have to pay for it as it is provided free by AT&T with my internet. I also make sure to use Malwarebytes with it.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
No doubt you'll get a lot recommending simply use Window Defender. But I opt for Comodo Internet Security Premium (free which includes a Firewall) along with switching on the Defender's app & browser control protection.

And FWIW I also use Malwarebytes (free) and Malwarebyte's adwcleaner (also free).

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16183 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Just the built in Windows virus protection and firewall.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Windows Defender.

I have found that if you really want to cripple a machine's performance and exponentially increase boot time, just install a 3rd party virus protection software.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
And MalwareBytes too. Link The free version is just fine as far as I know.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
I use Webroot; seems to work pretty well and since it’s web-based, it’s pretty fast.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1680 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use windows defender and load Ccleaner, Malware bytes and super anti-spyware.

I run the three programs anytime my machine starts acting sluggish.

I use the free versions.

If you don't want to be doing this manually you can buy the paid versions and set a schedule.

It would not be a bad thing to run manually and see what is on your daughters computer.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Does your ISP offer anything? Mine (Charter/Spectrum) has one, included with my plan, they call "Security Suite," for example. Also, many viruses require an action on your part to get downloaded, so don't click on anything that looks suspicious.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to run the free programs. Went from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and dumped all the ‘free’ stuff and relying on Windows Defender and weekly updates. Not had a problem in 3 years.

Hoping I didn’t jinx myself.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Since switching to Windows 10 a number of years ago, I've relied on Windows Defender and have never had a problem. (knock on wood)

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
ESET and MalwareBytes.

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I'm on W7Pro and running Trend Micro and Malwarebytes.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bayouman
posted Hide Post
I have used AVG Free antivirus program for over five years and it works great.

Bayouman
Never let the enemy pick the battle site.

Posts: 727 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana  | Registered: June 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
The built-in Windows Defender is top-notch. I don't use anything other than that these days with Windows 10.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Eset for over a decade with good results.

Posts: 1769 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Still use Avast Free.

One other recommendation: After you do the Windows installation, set up two users. Set up a standard (non-administrator user) for your daughter to use, then password protect the administrator user, and DON'T give your daughter that password. This means she can't install any software on the PC without you doing it. And if she does manage to tiptoe through some poisoned tulips on the web, and it somehow gets past the antivirus software, the virus can't embed itself into the PC.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dropped avast, when I found out their other business was jumpshot, and that business was selling all your information.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post