SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Home coffee roasters, please step in...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home coffee roasters, please step in... Login/Join 
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted
I've roasted coffee beans in the past on my gas grill in a cast iron skillet with pretty decent results, but not a very consistent roast. I thought I'd step it up a bit and use a nut roasting basket with a rotisserie.

My first experiment at 470F I heard what I believe was the first crack start at about 4 1/2 minutes and it seemed to go for about 2 minutes. I kept waiting to hear the second crack, but never heard it. Pulled them off at the 10 minute mark and cooled the beans off quickly (it was about 17F outside). I definitely missed the second crack, my beans are burnt...

I'm about to give it another shot, but before I do what temp do you guys typically shoot for when roasting your coffee beans?

Posts: 1800 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
I’m fairly new to roasting, but my bean temp doesn’t get above 400 before I start cooling. I don’t go into second crack though. Second crack is much louder than first crack in my experience, so could you have missed first crack and heard second crack?

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
I was thinking about this some more. It’s also possible that you’re going from FC to SC without any time in between given the details you gave.

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig Sauer Kraut:
I was thinking about this some more. It’s also possible that you’re going from FC to SC without any time in between given the details you gave.

Thanks for responding. I was wondering about that too. The later portion of that 2 minutes sounded pretty violent.

I did another test run with a lower temperature (400) and had much better results and definitely heard the second crack 2 minutes after the first crack. Second crack seemed to last about 3 minutes. The results were pretty good - a little more mellow than I was looking for, but drinkable Smile It made a pretty good crema in my espresso this afternoon.

Lots of variables to tinker with - I think this is going to take some time for me to dial in exactly what I'm looking for Big Grin

Posts: 1800 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of djinco
posted Hide Post
I would recommend a Behmor roaster. A dedicated roaster provides you with consistent, repeatable results. Behmor 1600 Plus will roast 4-16oz per batch. A one lb roast is a total of 18 minutes.

Cheers, Doug in Colorado

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 648 | Location: Colorado | Registered: February 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post