SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Questions for our boaters. How much fiberglass damage is too much?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions for our boaters. How much fiberglass damage is too much? Login/Join 
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
No way for me.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
It is an expensive segment, even for 18 year old boats they tend to run $7-12k depending on brand and condition. This one is listed at almost ten grand.

$ 10,000.00 to much, keep looking.

Posts: 1955 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't buy anything from a guy that lets his expensive items get in that bad of a condition. Would you buy a motorcycle stickman in that same kind of condition for top dollar? I doubt it.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The current owner seems to have purchased it in this condition and done little to fix most of it. If he is being honest he probably did what I did with my first boat and take a gamble and enjoy it with little issue. Problem is how long before it bites you. You can only roll the dice so long. For 10k no way. I’d be nervous spending half that simply due to the corrosive damage to the outdrive. Volvo Penta outdrives are $$$$$$

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted by ensigmatic,

quote:
I'll tell y'all this: The stuff stick's coming up with in his search is making me feel very good about putting our boat up for sale next spring Big Grin

Nothing but questionable projects so far. To be completely fair if I posted up the specs of my first boat and the concerns I had at the time I probably would have gotten a similar consensus to run. My first boat had a hole about the size of a basket ball in its deck which was remedied by placing a steel plate over the hole and carpet over the plate. The engine was a two stroke Johnson from the early 1970’s. I still got three trouble free years of fun out of that boat and never came close to a grand in repairs. A new battery and chasing down a bad ground were the only two issues I encountered.

Yeah but you probably only paid $1-2k for that first boat. Parts to repair them were a smidgeon of what they are now, and most of them don't last nearly as long as they used to. Engines weren't nearly as complex either. Labor rates are $130 an hour at most dealers here now.

Wait and find a deal on something that's ready to go. They're out there, you just have to be a little patient. Your season is pretty much over in Virginia in a month, so why rush.....take your time, look and look, and something that you truly want, in a condition you want, will pop up in your price range. I can't say it enough though, expand on what you're looking at also, don't get stuck on just looking at regals.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The good thing about seeing all these basket cases is that it makes it easier to explain to the wife why tripling the original budget is a good idea.

I’m seeing some beautiful Cobalts in the $14-16k range.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Have you considered Sea Ray?

https://www.boattrader.com/lis...e=standard%20listing

They are pretty solid boats if taken care of.

Posts: 17886 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
If you are willing to call it a project boat and get it for a song, say $4,000-$5,000 it would be okay. Otherwise just keep looking there are far to many nicer boats on the market today and as fuel prices climb there will be more.

Run, don't walk away as quickly as you can....

Posts: 3851 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
edited to remove overabundance of snarky from me. Uncalled for.

I do think it will be a challenge to find an inexpensive boat that won't have issues and risk of leaving you stranded on the water, but do hope you can find that nugget in hiding and enjoy some boating this fall.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Georgeair,

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
BAhahahahaha, FTW!!!!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Actually cheap can work. It worked for three years for me. Yeah I drifted twice with no engine and it sucked but it wasn’t a huge deal. The vast majority was mostly a great time on the water. Hitting mud flats as well as objects in the water will ruin your day on any boat, on a used boat that’s already dinged a bit it just stings a bit less I suppose.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
Stickman, I'm presently in Va Beach, if you find something in this area and need someone to take I look, I can do it if it's not too far out of my way.
I have circumnavigated on a fiberglass boat and have been a USCG licensed Master since 1985. I'm also an experienced ship surveyor. I'd give a definite no to the current (pictured) Regal. Not even addressing the galvanic corrosion of the outdrive, the transom fiberglass damage looks like the original glass was under-resined, which will generally lead to rapid delamination once water gets past the gelcoat. You should be able to find a boat in your price range that isn't a major project boat.

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
That’s too much.

Boat looks like it’s been severely abused and neglected.

It’s crap.

No way.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
That transom is rotten.

The anodes on the stern drive were never replaced now it's ruined.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
CaptainMike, I’ve been considering widening my search to include the 757, it’s a HUGE boat market. I’d been thinking that looking around Lake Norman in NC would yield good boats that have only been used in freshwater but obviously I haven’t found anything good yet. The search continues.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The mistake I made with my first boat was getting something I outgrew too quickly. A 19 ft bowrider would work fine for a while but the extra size of a 21-22 footer is nice, they are about the largest I can go to store in my heated garage. I’ve been tempted to look at a few smaller boats locally but something’s telling me it’s smarter to wait and get a slightly larger boat.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
OP:

Everyone seems to be telling you to run away from a boat, yet you seem to be intent on driving ahead.

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The mistake I made with my first boat was getting something I outgrew too quickly. A 19 ft bowrider would work fine for a while but the extra size of a 21-22 footer is nice, they are about the largest I can go to store in my heated garage. I’ve been tempted to look at a few smaller boats locally but something’s telling me it’s smarter to wait and get a slightly larger boat.

Your first post in this thread mentions a 9 person capacity. If that's what you're looking for, a 21-22 isn't going to do it. They may have a capacity plate that says so, but there is no way in heck 9 people are going to have any fun squished in there. My 21' Sea Ray is good for about 4 comfortably. Oh, there are more places to sit, but it's not the way you'd want to ride.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Half the people saying Run are the same sort who don't have a swimming pool because they've heard its a pain to maintain or expensive, or they're the sorts who only have the kinds of Boats, Bikes, Pools, etc that other people maintain or that have a full warranty.

A boat's a boat's a boat.

If it runs and doesn't sink, which is the vast majority, who gives a shit... neither boats nor pools or bikes are particularly challenging, and if you're the sort that enjoys such things and aren't scared of them, ignore most of the warnings without second thought.

I've had every bit as much fun in ugly, old, beater boats as I have on Master Crafts and a tons of other fancy, new, posh specimens. I've never had one sink, never seen one sink in person, and only know one person who has and their problem was a bilge plug and pump.

We aren't talking about Arctic Icebreakers here, or blue water ships. It's pleasure boats.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RaiseHal
posted Hide Post
Run Forest, Run!!!!

It's a shame that youth is wasted on the young --- Mark Twain

Anyone who is not a liberal by age 20 has no heart; anyone who is not a conservative by age 40 has no brain---Winston Churchill

Posts: 4650 | Location: The Free State of Georgia | Registered: August 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post