SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Questions for our boaters. How much fiberglass damage is too much?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions for our boaters. How much fiberglass damage is too much? Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
There is no wood in the hull/stringers of a Regal boat. It looks like a hole in the pic but it’s just discolored fiberglass and composite. It does look pretty bad though.

I think the consensus is to pass.

Most boats in that time frame have a wood transom including that Regal.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
My social media has figured out I’m in the market for a boat and recommended this amazing ship! Big Grin Sigforum group buy? We could charter “adventure/pirate” trips along the Somali coast. Ammo prices are coming down. A themed anti piracy Cruise in that region complete with simulated drone pirate ship attacks (and possibly real ones) could be big. It would need a hell of a waiver..

I don't have any idea who would have a use for it, and I'm sure it would be very expensive to clean up and keep running, but damn, that still seems like a hell of a deal.

I guess the operating costs must be so much higher than a modern vessel that it is essentially worthless.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
Thats only the damage you can see, if they took that poor of a job taking care of it, I could only imagine the underlying issues.

Posts: 5589 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
It's only too much if it exceeds your willingness to mess with it. Fiberglass work isn't difficult, nor particularly expensive in terms of materials. Spraying Gel Coat is a bit more involved as is spraying anything, but fiberglass work in the 12"-square or less category is easy for most even fairly mechanically inclined people who don't mind getting dirty. We were using foam to make molds and were making custom door panels and speaker boxes molded into spare tire holes and junk like that in late high school and I'm no savant at those things, it's just not that difficult... especially in the YouTube era.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The glass work isn't particularly difficult, but if done improperly can lead to other issues. To do that properly, a larger area is going to need to be cut out, glassed, and finished. The integrity of the gel coat will never be the same. The areas with significant loss of gel coat indicate damage to the structure, and possibly some delimitation going on. The area should be cut out and re-glassed, but as it would have been built over a gel coat in a mould, it will have to be blocked internally by foam and built up; it should be vacuum bagged, too.

The metal corrosion looks like it was put in salt water and not washed.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
Run. No telling the rot you can't see.
First response is the best response. Run, don't walk, away from this hole in the water.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
too much is always a price and time issue. Glass work is one of the things in life that doesn't require very much in terms of tools or acquired skills (some will object but skills is relative). You can learn to be very good at it, I did and I'm pretty average otherwise. If your first attempts aren't good trying again is relatively easy and the materials are inexpensive. Your risk really is your time. The outdrive I don't know anything about so I'll pass on judging that. Parts are expensive especially for the Volvo. What I see wouldn't bother me in terms of glass work. Don't know the exact hull construction layup but I doubt its beyond the almost immediate area in terms of risk. But hey sometimes you lose a bet. I started to fix a balsa cored hull with what looked like a small area and it extended eventually to 96 sq ft. But the materials to fix it were really cheap and the time wasn't very bad. just an example.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
I think you should buy it and video the restoration, saving all receipts and logging all the hours of enjoyment rebuilding it.

Posts: 1811 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Don't buy somebody else's problem.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Bust
Out
Another
Thousand

My FIL has a boat (second boat, upgraded the first then sold it off when something else caught his eye). I’m quite sure the man hours spent maintaining, modifying, installing, fixing is at least 3:1 compared to time underway. New engine, fixed transome, fiberglass work, install a tower, blow a motor, chase down wiring problems for a year before rewiring the whole thing.

In the end boat repair is his real hobby.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
quote:
The hit on the stern looks fixable but the blisters along the left side of the boat are worrisome. The corrosion on the outdrive is also something I’m worried about.

Yeah, the entire boat is worrisome.
I wouldn't take that boat for free, let alone pay actual money for it.

That boat looks like trouble. The transom damage almost looks like a breach in the hull.

Keep looking.

Posts: 1781 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
My social media has figured out I’m in the market for a boat and recommended this amazing ship! Big Grin Sigforum group buy? We could charter “adventure/pirate” trips along the Somali coast. Ammo prices are coming down. A themed anti piracy Cruise in that region complete with simulated drone pirate ship attacks (and possibly real ones) could be big. It would need a hell of a waiver..

I don't have any idea who would have a use for it, and I'm sure it would be very expensive to clean up and keep running, but damn, that still seems like a hell of a deal.

I guess the operating costs must be so much higher than a modern vessel that it is essentially worthless.

Trust me when I say that when the Coast Guard gets rid of a boat...it's DONE. My dad was on a ship made in 1938, when I enlisted that ship was still in service and was decommissioned in 1990's.

We had a 25 Boston whaler on the Gulf that took us only two years to fully break due to ops tempo.

I was on a patrol boat that only lived ten years before it was so ravaged and falling apart that she was scrapped.

Trust me, stay away from DRMO/.gov sales of boats.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mod29:

This ^^^^^

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
Run. No telling the rot you can't see.

Yup. Junk.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7506 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Run before you are forced to swim!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I'll tell y'all this: The stuff stick's coming up with in his search is making me feel very good about putting our boat up for sale next spring Big Grin

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Now is the time to buy and I know it’s hard to say no when you really want one, but be patient and the right one will come up.

As to capacity, you would not like that size boat with 9 people. Maybe 4 adults and a few kid if the water is reasonably calm.

Don’t be afraid to look in another state. You may find some nice deals around Knoxville. The farther away from salt the better.

10 grand can buy something fun and reliable here but we have a ton of boats.

Posts: 17881 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by mod29:

This ^^^^^

+1 agree

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Posted by ensigmatic,

quote:
I'll tell y'all this: The stuff stick's coming up with in his search is making me feel very good about putting our boat up for sale next spring Big Grin

Nothing but questionable projects so far. To be completely fair if I posted up the specs of my first boat and the concerns I had at the time I probably would have gotten a similar consensus to run. My first boat had a hole about the size of a basket ball in its deck which was remedied by placing a steel plate over the hole and carpet over the plate. The engine was a two stroke Johnson from the early 1970’s. I still got three trouble free years of fun out of that boat and never came close to a grand in repairs. A new battery and chasing down a bad ground were the only two issues I encountered.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
My first boat was a "beater," too. Had a ton of fun with that little boat in New Jersey's inland waterways.

But the hull and engine were sound. (Except the starter was bad, so I always had to pull-start the outboard.)