SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Questions for our boaters. How much fiberglass damage is too much?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions for our boaters. How much fiberglass damage is too much? Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
I’ve been looking for a boat for my family. I found a 2000 Regal 2100 LSR that checked all the boxes so I went and looked at it today.

I really liked the size and layout, especially the 9 person capacity. To my dismay the boat had a bit of damage to its gelcoat and fiberglass. The hit on the stern looks fixable but the blisters along the left side of the boat are worrisome. The corrosion on the outdrive is also something I’m worried about.

Is this fixable? The blisters are small and appear to be only on the left side of the boat near the stern.

Transom damage

Blisters and missing gelcoat

I like that it has a fuel injected Volvo Penta but the corrosion on the drive is not good. He has the boat priced about average. I know it isn’t worth what he is asking but I am not exactly sure how much to deduct from the value based on the issues.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Run. No telling the rot you can't see.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
That outdrive is a mess. Looks like it’s been stored in water with no anodes.

The blisters worry less than water has gotten in that stern damage.

Pass, IMHO.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
Unless you want a project boat to sink time and money on to restore, I would steer clear of this nightmare. This boat was not loved during its day. May be a good project if the boat was free and you got money that you just got to spend.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do... or do not.
There is no try.
Picture of fau
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't recommend even considering it.

Posts: 2736 | Registered: March 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
why in God's name would you want that piece of crap
RUN

NRA Life Member

Posts: 240 | Location: Kiawah Island, SC | Registered: July 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
Run. No telling the rot you can't see.

This X 100

Someone did a great job of abusing and neglecting this boat.

Just out of morbid curiosity, what would a fine craft such as this one be offered for these days?

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Agreed. Run. Damage below the waterline and a drive with no anodes - major problems and signs someone has not taken care of that boat.

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
It is an expensive segment, even for 18 year old boats they tend to run $7-12k depending on brand and condition. This one is listed at almost ten grand.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Ten grand not nearly enough. You’d have to pay me at least 12K to take it.

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Regal is one of the better brands as far as build and resale value.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Regal is one of the better brands as far as build and resale value.

For 5-8K more you can have the same era Cobalt, SeRay, Chaparrel or Bryant. That are at the actual top of that list.

Bryant 214

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
It looks like the fiberglass at the bottom of the transom has a hole in it. If there is wood in the transom, I'd be worried that it's wet or worse. The outdrive is a mess and I can't imagine what the manifolds and risers look like. That boat would be a pass for me as I don't need anymore projects.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Run.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
There is no wood in the hull/stringers of a Regal boat. It looks like a hole in the pic but it’s just discolored fiberglass and composite. It does look pretty bad though.

I think the consensus is to pass.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of Unishot
posted Hide Post
If you want a boat for your family, I would suggest looking at Bennington pontoons. You can ski behind them, tow a big tube, carry a ton of people and gear COMFORTABLY, with WAY more space to move around. You can beach it or run into debris without too much fear of damaging the hull, and they ride smoother and more stable than a V-hulled boat. With a decent sized motor, they really are fast too. They aren't just "slow party barges" anymore. Quite luxurious, too, if you get one of the higher-level trims. And, with an outboard, maintenance is much easier, and cheaper as well.

Tell me what a V-hulled boat like what you are looking at can do that a pontoon can't do? With your budget, I really think you will get "more boat" with a pontoon.

Insert your favorite gun-related witticism here!

Posts: 653 | Location: TX | Registered: March 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
My social media has figured out I’m in the market for a boat and recommended this amazing ship! Big Grin Sigforum group buy? We could charter “adventure/pirate” trips along the Somali coast. Ammo prices are coming down. A themed anti piracy Cruise in that region complete with simulated drone pirate ship attacks (and possibly real ones) could be big. It would need a hell of a waiver..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post
THAT is the kind of boat that creates the reputation for being a money pit and "hidden costs". Of course, there's nothing hidden about it. The clues to the problems are right there in front of you.

A quality boat that has been properly maintained looks nothing like that after 18 years. My Sea Ray is 16 years old and looks like new.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
There is no wood in the hull/stringers of a Regal boat. It looks like a hole in the pic but it’s just discolored fiberglass and composite. It does look pretty bad though.

I think the consensus is to pass.

Composite coring can still delaminate from the fiberglass from water intrusion. Just because it isn't wood, doesn't mean jack.

The drive looks pretty standard fare for a boat kept in saltwater. It can be sanded, primed with zinc chromate, and repainted. Just need to make sure all of the seals are good on trim rams, lower unit, etc.

The transom damage is what I would worry about, you really need to get a moisture meter out and check the entire transom and hull sides below the water line. (You can get them at Home Depot pretty cheap). Anything over 20% is bad......8-14% moisture is pretty normal. But if it's been sitting on a trailer a long time it might have delaminated but the moisture might have dried out by now, which means you have to hit it with a plastic hammer and listen for voids. The gelcoat and transom are a pretty easy fix for a professional IF there's no delamination issues.

Honestly, I would run from this one. And also, Regals are not a great brand, they're ok, but not Great.

I managed/maintained a new at the time 2005 42' regal, owner had already bought a 2003 new 38' regal that he traded up to the 42' 2 years later. The entire hull got pea size blisters about every 2" below the waterline. Boat was 2 years old then, called regal, only way they'd warranty it is if we ran the boat to a yard 200 miles each way to get repaired (would've cost the owner about $9,000 in expenses RT). We had a very reputable local yard do it, peeled the entire bottom, let it dry 30 days, 6 coats of Imron barrier coat and 2 coats of bottom paint, and they chipped in 20% of the total repair cost and wouldn't pay a penny more. Total bill was $13k and they paid $3200.... so much for their useless warranty. Also, ALL of the interior woodwork turned milky in the first 2 years, looked horrible and they wouldn't cover that either. Boat performed well, but this has ALWAYS left a really bad taste in my mouth. There are far better brands I'd recommend to customers of mine that stand behind their product.

Here is everything you're looking for in a quality brand, and has the wakeboard tower and all!
https://www.yachtworld.com/boa...listing#.W7AFZfZFzIU

There's also a 2006 searay for $13,995 in virginia in addition to this one for sale.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
Lightly used cutter and a Somali cruse? I am in for $50 and a couple belts of .50 ammo.

Big Grin

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post