SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Weatherwool products
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weatherwool products Login/Join 
posted
Anyone have any experience with any of their products?

I’m considering buying one of their hoodies when they become available again. Their stuff is pricey but apparently it’s worth the cost.

www.weatherwool.com

Posts: 683 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Makes Filson look inexpensive.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting...they have an immense amount of content but, bury the pricing.

I used to sell wool apparel for Vermont based Ibex. The wool sportswear market has steadily grown, mainly a result of less people wearing suits in favor of sportswear, mainly the cheap ready-to-wear stuff (see the racks at Walmart, Target, Kohls, etc). Icebreaker and Smartwool can largely be credited with the revival of wool in sportswear starting in the mid-90's. Curious that they're pumping-up their military customers who've bought their products, relaxed field-uniform policies have largely disappeared for all but certain units; not to mention the NSN pipeline has 20-years of experience now outfitting for higher elevations and winter conditions.

Weatherwool is using Rambouillet Marino, which is a breed that does well here in the US as they can handle the hotter Summer/Fall seasons compared to New Zealand. They use a 21-micron fiber, which is thick; that size is usually used for thick mid-layers and outer layer garments. For styles like next-to-skin shirts, sweaters, suits, etc.. you want a 17-19 micron, most of that textile is coming from New Zealand sheep, where the colder conditions, allow for softer, finer fleece to be grown. I like wool and can appreciate its appearance and performance but, it's limited due to weight and packability. A nice peacoat/over coat is nice however, anything beyond a sweater gets too heavy for me.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post