SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    seeking recommendations for snow chains for tires
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

seeking recommendations for snow chains for tires Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
I don't live in snow country, but I couldn't get out of my driveway today with my year-around daily driver highway tires. I don't know what the current technology is in snow tire chains, but I think I need them.

Do you guys have any that you've used that work good, particularly at higher speeds ?

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8679 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Chains are a PITA, get some snow tires.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chains and cables are made for low speeds. I second snow tires if needed...

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
"Higher speeds" and snow chains don't go together in the same sentence.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I highly recommend snow chains. I make my own from heavy-gauge chain, and use twisted link for the cross bars. Then again, I'm referring to my job, a county highwayman, for my plow truck Smile

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Aren't there some states with highways that cut through mountains that won't let you go on the pass without chains?

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just call in sick. Snow tires the best move. If you are going through mountain passes and up steep hills then go with the chains. It takes some skill to put those on, especially with deteriorating road conditions.

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chains are for crawling up the mountain pass.

Get good all weather tires and if it's still too slick stay home.

quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
Aren't there some states with highways that cut through mountains that won't let you go on the pass without chains?

We've got Stevens Pass and I-90- They'll have Warnings and Mandatory chains when the weather gets bad. You're probably not making it over without them.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
When I lived in Anchorage, Alaska, '09-'14 I had studded snow tires and they were awesome. I owned chains but never used them. I planned ahead and bought a house in the flat part of the city so I stayed home if it were bad enough that I needed more than a 4wd truck with studded tires and 350 lbs of sand bags in the rear end. Some of my friends and coworkers lived hillside or had remote cabins so they used them at low speed as short of distance as possible.

When I lived in Calgary, Alberta, '14-'16 I tried to buy the Michelin X-ice (Michelin X-ice and Nokian Hakkapeliittas are highest rated snow tires) but they were sold out at 5 tire chain stores. I ended up buying the Yokohama IceGuard which some (not all) review sites rate right behind the Michelin and ahead of the Blizzaks. They were awesome and I never missed the studded tires. In fact, university research showed that studded tires were only better when it was 25 to 35 F (i.e. more likely water on surface of ice and softer ice) and studless snow tires were equal at temperatures colder than 25F (actually superior above 35F).

In both locations, I had 4wd trucks with multiple sand bags over the rear axle. I drive the same speed as everyone else, but much more following distance. All of this combines for having a larger safety margin than other drivers and zero accidents in 7 winters.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
Chains are a PITA, get some snow tires.

Snow tires not a good idea, since it only snows like this every once in five years. Where I live most winters we get no snow at all, so snow tires would dry rot before I could use them. I only need traction for a bad snowfall once every five years, and only for a day or two at most. So if I can slap on some tire chains once every five years for one or two days, I am asking if that is a realistic and practical solution. Also this is not a HD truck, it's a f150, if that makes a difference, so the "chains" or whatever it is the current technology for tire chains, couldn't be very big like a real HD truck or commercial hauler etc.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8679 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanner:
http://pewagchain.com

This is the style I use and they are pretty easy to put on. http://pewagchain.com/Products...UV/brenta-c-4x4.aspx

Posts: 74 | Registered: April 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Get a couple bags of rock salt and a couple bags of sand. Much cheaper than chains for a once every 5 years type of thing.

If you really want chains, check your owner's manual. I believe it will say you should use class S chains.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What are you driving and what tires is it wearing? My suspicion is that your vehicle and/or tires are probably marginal for snow.

Chains may be illegal in some states. Chains are certainly overkill unless you are talking feet of snow. Chains are a PITA, as previously stated. Once you put a set of chains on and off once, you will do anything to avoid doing it again. In fact, I would rather change out four wheels and tires the day before the storm than put on and remove snow chains.

I have lived most of my life in the northeast (NY, PA, VT). I never stayed home due to weather and I never once needed chains on my passenger vehicles. Not even on my 1969 Mustang in severe western PA/NY winters or the several 24-50" snowfall events. Driving in snow is part driver skill and part knowing your vehicle's limitations. Smart vehicle choice and good tires go a long way. A 4x4 F150 with good all season tires should get you anywhere you should go. You can still get stuck with chains, if you do not know the limits. They provide some margin, but are not fool proof.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dkv
posted Hide Post
I got super-z tire cables for my car. Worked well when we got snow in CT. Still a pain in the ass to get on, though.

Now I have snow tires on our two cars and they are a dream!

Posts: 3155 | Location: Connecticut Shoreline | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I had to use chains a few times in Mammoth Lakes, CA. They suck.
quote:
Do you guys have any that you've used that work good, particularly at higher speeds ?

Chains are not for high speed driving. 35 mph is a prudent speed, maybe 45 tops.

Posts: 27952 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I think your enthusiasm for the idea of using chains will be tempered a good deal by actually using them once or twice.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
I don't live in snow country, but I couldn't get out of my driveway today with my year-around daily driver highway tires. I don't know what the current technology is in snow tire chains, but I think I need them.

A. Sharing the location (State at minimum) will likely assist in assisting.

B. Why now? What has changed? A weather event that occurs every 5-10 years likely doesn't justify the investment. Can you simply wait out the issue?

C. Is it just the driveway you have issues with? Why not clear it via sand or salt the drive as another has suggested? What is the terrain once you have escaped the drive?

D. Winter driving can be challenging especially if it seldom occurs. Sometimes it is safer to just stay put. Think of the others with little or no knowledge / experience. Often they are the higher threat.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Once every five years? Stay home or call Uber.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post