SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Costco Cannon Safe
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Costco Cannon Safe Login/Join 
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
And there are much faster ways that what is shown in that video.

RSCs are tested by UL for a period of 5 minutes against a small sledge (18" I believe), prying device (18"), and a drill with regular twist bits. The theory being that a hammer and a pry bar may be tools that a residential burglar may be carrying on them already.

I have a saw that would cut that safe in half in under 1 minute.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15716 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
RSC. Residential Security Container.
A blow to those who think it's a safe.

Nonetheless, much better than stacked up in the closet.

Posts: 3240 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Something else to think about is that if a thief has gained entry to your home, and he needs tools to break into your RSC or safe, he now has access to all the tools that you own as well.

Posts: 7254 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
And you might even need a safe to store ammo in. Hint: the ammo may be worth more than your guns.

When my kids were young, I actually realized that with the number of guns I had exceeding my safe capacity, that it made more sense to lock my ammo in the safe than the guns, along with the one of two home defense guns I might keep loaded, or at least handy to a loaded magazine.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
My father in law has a Cannon safe with the keypad and it’s never worked right. They’ve replaced it several times and still it takes anywhere from 5-500 tries to open it.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
And you might even need a safe to store ammo in. Hint: the ammo may be worth more than your guns.

When my kids were young, I actually realized that with the number of guns I had exceeding my safe capacity, that it made more sense to lock my ammo in the safe than the guns, along with the one of two home defense guns I might keep loaded, or at least handy to a loaded magazine.

I bought a job site box from Home Depot for my ammo. It works very well for that purpose. Loaded with my ammo, I can’t even budge the thing.

Posts: 2157 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:

"I have a saw that would cut that safe in half in under 1 minute.
". Would it be wrong to make a YouTube video of that ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54633 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Would it be wrong to make a YouTube video of that ?

^^^^^^^^
It would get a lot of views. Sadly there is a lot out there on You Tube about lockpicking, using bump keys etc. I cannot comment on the morality.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great price point on a decent safe, if it meets your needs then why not, some safe is better than no safe at all.

For the safe cutting video

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2guvwQvElA8

Posts: 23436 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Is there anything below getting into 'real" UL grades of actual safes that provides any meaningful burglary resistance?

quote:

RSCs are tested by UL for a period of 5 minutes against a small sledge (18" I believe), prying device (18"), and a drill with regular twist bits. The theory being that a hammer and a pry bar may be tools that a residential burglar may be carrying on them already.

I have a saw that would cut that safe in half in under 1 minute.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is there anything below getting into 'real" UL grades of actual safes that provides any meaningful burglary resistance?

Yes, but they aren't nearly as common. Prior to UL ratings there were standards as far as methods of construction so that insurers could determine their risks. This is where B, C, E, and F rates came into being.

A B rate safe is (up to) 1/4" plate body and (up to) 1/2" plate door. As you go up in "rating" you increase the thickness of the bodies and doors. It's important to not that UL rates safes, which is confusing since a "B rate" isn't actually rated at all.

Companies like AMSEC, Sturdy, Fort Knox, Brown, Graffunder, and a few others do offer gun safes with more steel than is typically seen.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15716 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I generally don't consider safes with doors less than quarter inch plate and bodies less than 7 gauge to be useful against anything more determined than than a smash and grab crackhead burlary. Is that right, or would heavier be necessary.

quote:
quote:

Yes, but they aren't nearly as common. Prior to UL ratings there were standards as far as methods of construction so that insurers could determine their risks. This is where B, C, E, and F rates came into being.

A B rate safe is (up to) 1/4" plate body and (up to) 1/2" plate door. As you go up in "rating" you increase the thickness of the bodies and doors. It's important to not that UL rates safes, which is confusing since a "B rate" isn't actually rated at all.

Companies like AMSEC, Sturdy, Fort Knox, Brown, Graffunder, and a few others do offer gun safes with more steel than is typically seen.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m thinking about getting a Liberty Fatboy gun safe for some guns and some other valuables.

Any thoughts on the Fatboy Extreme specifically with a SecuRam ProLogic electronic lock?

I’ve read the comments already about using a saw to cut thru the steel so I know they aren’t going to stop someone determined to get into it.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
I generally don't consider safes with doors less than quarter inch plate and bodies less than 7 gauge to be useful against anything more determined than than a smash and grab crackhead burlary. Is that right, or would heavier be necessary.

quote:
quote:

Really though, out of how many home burglaries there are. How many burglars REALLY took the time AND had the tools to cut through whatever safe that was in the house. I would be willing to guess the percentage is low versus the percentage of home invasions. In a residential neighborhood, I would think burglars are in and out of the house in a few minutes.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I have a Canon safe from Tractor Supply had it for about 5 years with no issues and it gets opened multiple times a day.
Do I expect it to beat a safe cracker or cutter certainly not but it will keep my kids out and the random burglar not prepared for a safe. But I can promise if someone enters my house I will be home or a friend or two will be there before they can successfully get into the safe.

Safe security is like all security is about layers. I have sensors on both garage doors that alert me every time they are opened. I have cameras on each entrance to the house that alert me when someone enters.
If that someone is someone I don’t know either myself or my friends will be there in just a few minutes.
I also have a camera on each safe that alerts me as well.

Buy a cheap $25 Wyze camera and put it on top of your safe.

As for ammo I bought a 48” underbody truck box from Tractor Supply
https://www.tractorsupply.com/...ody-box?cm_vc=IOPDP2

Same rules apply for the safe. Someone will be there before they can get into it. I attached it to the top of my big tool chest (wheels taken off) and is across from the safe so it is on camera. And due to weight there is no way one is moving it either.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25420 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I’m not wanting to start an argument with anyone but I really don’t know the answer so I’m asking.

How many instances in the last 5 years or so have their been of a professional burglar breaking into a home gun safe?

Or

How many times have meth heads broken into a house just to try and take anything of value and been thwarted by a relatively low grade safe?

I’m betting that the first number is very low and the second number is relatively high. If you have more than say...$50,000 or more worth of weapons I would imagine it’s worth spending 10% of their worth on a safe. We have built some relatively expensive gun safe rooms for a couple of our clients which included 12” of 5000 psi reinforced concrete on all 6 sides as well as Hamilton vault doors but these collectors both had collections in the 6 figure range.

In both the cases I mentioned they also had specific insurance policies detailing their collections.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
I’m not wanting to start an argument with anyone but I really don’t know the answer so I’m asking.

How many instances in the last 5 years or so have their been of a professional burglar breaking into a home gun safe?

Or

How many times have meth heads broken into a house just to try and take anything of value and been thwarted by a relatively low grade safe?

I’m betting that the first number is very low and the second number is relatively high. If you have more than say...$50,000 or more worth of weapons I would imagine it’s worth spending 10% of their worth on a safe. We have built some relatively expensive gun safe rooms for a couple of our clients which included 12” of 5000 psi reinforced concrete on all 6 sides as well as Hamilton vault doors but these collectors both had collections in the 6 figure range.

In both the cases I mentioned they also had specific insurance policies detailing their collections.

I read A LOT of burglary/B&E reports. I’ve seen smaller safes carried off pretty frequently, but a safe actually forced open during the break-in? Rare. Very rare. To the point that I don’t remember ever reading one in my division of nearly 200k people in the last year.

Is it doable? Absolutely. But it’s not going to be attempted by your average B&E guy. I’d be much more worried if I had something really worth it, like 100k in jewelry, or was a demographic known for keeping cash rather than using a bank. Those are the more thorough break ins I see.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
My father in law has a Cannon safe with the keypad and it’s never worked right. They’ve replaced it several times and still it takes anywhere from 5-500 tries to open it.

Get a better lock before that one locks him out for good.

Just Saturday I replaced the cheap LG mechanical lock on my safe with a good e-lock. I've exercised that lock with two different combinations, using all digits on the keypad, dozens of times since and it's not once failed to open.

As for the security of gun safes: I hole no illusions about how robust is my safe. I mean it to thwart casual home buglers that want to get in and get out.

As for fire protection: It'll eventually be relocated to a corner of the basement, with two sides up against concrete walls, where it'll be less exposed to fire and heat should the unimaginable ever occur.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:

Or

I read A LOT of burglary/B&E reports. I’ve seen smaller safes carried off pretty frequently, but a safe actually forced open during the break-in? Rare. Very rare. To the point that I don’t remember ever reading one in my division of nearly 200k people in the last year.

Is it doable? Absolutely. But it’s not going to be attempted by your average B&E guy. I’d be much more worried if I had something really worth it, like 100k in jewelry, or was a demographic known for keeping cash rather than using a bank. Those are the more thorough break ins I see.

That’s what I would think is the case. Most B&E’s are a crime of opportunity so a relatively decent safe, particularly one that is bolted down should thwart 99% of burglaries.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
Everything I have been told about home security boils down to one real thing.

Make the neighbor's house look like a lot less trouble than yours.

As Black said, add layers and hassles.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post