SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SOLVED: Image - Fuel Line Clip: Anyone Know How This Works?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SOLVED: Image - Fuel Line Clip: Anyone Know How This Works? Login/Join 
All the time
Picture of Gear.Up
posted
I installed a Power Commander on a motorcycle today. I'm finishing up but can't figure out how this clip on the fuel line that connects to the gas tank works.

I don't want to try to muscle it too much, because you have to replace the whole line if it's broken.

This image is when it's in place, before pulling the green tab out to release it.

Thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Gear.Up,

Posts: 2320 | Location: East TN | Registered: July 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm confused the power commander doesn't touch any fuel lines.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
All the time
Picture of Gear.Up
posted Hide Post
Correct, but you have to remove the gas tank and then the air box to get to the fuel injector and other connectors.

Posts: 2320 | Location: East TN | Registered: July 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
The green clip keeps the connections made.

Take a look at this photo, this appears to use the same concept, except the tapered area isn't covered in that black plastic body and the green clip is only the right portion of this metal one.

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That one may need a special tool. Some of the modern hoses system use a low cost, but specialized tool.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
To me it appears that the green insert should pull out enough to allow the line to disconnect. Then once the line is reconnected, the green insert is pushed back in, locking the line in place.

Posts: 5197 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
^
This
Ford had a system on their auto from the 80's like my old 89 van for pump and fuel filters
Jeep the same way.

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
^^^^ My 2009 Triumph Bonneville has exactly this fuel line/clip under the tank. Just pull the green tab out some to release the line; the green tab stays attached.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
That one may need a special tool. Some of the modern hoses system use a low cost, but specialized tool.

Yep.
They make a small plastic thingie, it's like two half circles, and it will fit in that void around the fuel line, push it down, and it releases the clip, and it's off.

I still can't figure out what was wrong with the old hose clamps, or compression fittings Roll Eyes someone always wants to reinvent the wheel.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8335 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:

I still can't figure out what was wrong with the old hose clamps, or compression fittings Roll Eyes someone always wants to reinvent the wheel.

hose clamps work via spring tension this locks mechanically. assuming both are protected from external factors one will fail on its own.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
All the time
Picture of Gear.Up
posted Hide Post
I got it fixed. After looking at more of my pictures last night, I thought that it probably needs to slide over the little ridge on the fuel line and that would put pressure on the clip to allow the retainer to slide in place.

Went out this morning and sure enough, that was it. Once the hose was positioned correctly, the retainer was easy to click back on.

Picture of the clip with the retainer in the release position:

And an image with the ridge on the fuel line below the tank:

Got it in place, added some gas to the tank and started it up before putting everything back together.

It lives! Start up video https://vimeo.com/269486861

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Lots of quick connects use the retention latches. A company I worked for made many of them. Self contained latches are pretty popular now. I built prototype assemblies for all the automakers and do not recall ever using a special tool aside from a standard quick connect release.

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post