SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kubota GR2120 Advice Needed / Owners Step Inside
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kubota GR2120 Advice Needed / Owners Step Inside Login/Join 
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted
Recently moved from CT to NC. New property is very hilly and rough. I sold my lawn equipment in CT before moving down, not wanting to deal with it. I've been shopping around lately and really like the Kubota GR 2120. For what I have, I need a true garden tractor, not a "lawn tractor" , or "riding mower". Does anybody here own one, or have any first hand insight they can speak of? Would be much appreciated.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Hopefully it is diesel

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
With the diesel and all shaft drive, I'd say that would make an excellent tractor for you.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
With the diesel and all shaft drive, I'd say that would make an excellent tractor for you.

My thoughts exactly. It has a PTO and hydraulic lift for the deck. Ability for snowblower and blade attachments. I also really like the all wheel drive and the inside rear wheel disconnect for tight turns.

They are offering 0% for 36 months, I'm not against borrowing free money, I usually buy this kind of stuff used tho.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
What is the purchase price

Thinking you can buy a used Kubuta tractor instead of mower for the same $

"Free $" is no such thing.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Free $" is no such thing.

When they let you borrow for 36 months for 0% that's pretty much free to me.

I can get the same machine on the used market for around 5 grand with around 600 hours on the clock. That seems to be the going rate. Pay cash and be done with it. Or I can buy it new for roughly 8500 spread out over 3 years with 0%. OR put it on my airline card and get another subsidized trip to somehwere, the finances aren't really the point.

I really just want to know if anyone has one, if they like it, and do they feel it is a good machine.

A compact tractor is too big for my needs and I would probably use the capabilities of it once per year, if that.

posted Hide Post
I don't get how much you're gaining over a 'normal' mower of similar configuration. It really doesn't have that much more capability for double the price (MSRP) - AWD/Shaft/PTO/hydro deck. AWD I get, but you still have itty bitty turf tires & low ground clearance. On such a small deck, I think hydro lift is absurd unless it's a drive-over attach. My foot-raise gets moved twice every time I mow - when I get it out of the shop & when it goes back in. How much snow are you going to blow in NC vs CT?
I do like the deck (deep) and it looks like a quality machine - but the 'features' seem more 'rube-goldberg' than 'better mousetrap'. Diesel also seems to be somewhat over-complex for a lawn-mower of the 20HP/48" deck range.
Calling either this or the ~$2500 48" mower a tractor is a bit of a stretch in my farm-raised mind. But, hey, I used a 50HP front wheel assist to plow my yard last weekend. I'm re-seeding & didn't want the smaller one cause it was hot & my ass needs AC Wink Debating on taking the duals off so it won't overlap the tiller or use a smaller, non-AC, steed for the next step.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
I have the one it replaced, TG1860. I can mow 2.5 acres on about 2 gallons of fuel and so far, I haven't run into anything that will even slow it down. It looks like the only difference is mine doesn't have the hydraulic lift for the deck. Mine has the 54" deck and I couldn't be more happy with it.

BTW, I've had mine since 2000 and it's been in the shop twice, and one of those was for something I could have done but just didn't feel like it at the time.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
My neighbor has a fairly new one and it sounds great and chews through the tall grass quite well but he has had it trailered out to the shop twice this summer ( that I’m aware of ) and I’ve seen it outside his barn with the engine cover titled open so I’m not sure what’s up with it. My personal Kubota experience has been great but it’s with a much older/larger tractor.

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Calling either this or the ~$2500 48" mower a tractor is a bit of a stretch in my farm-raised mind.

Agreed, but I'm sold on the robustness of the design. I like the hydros, deep-fabricated deck, and the pto. I definitely wont be in NC longer than 5 years, and then it will be back north I bet. I'll be the hero of the block with this thing and a 48" blower attachment.

quote:
BTW, I've had mine since 2000 and it's been in the shop twice, and one of those was for something I could have done but just didn't feel like it at the time.

Thanks for the info. How has the little 3 cylinder diesel been for you? I think it will be a lot better under load than the gas.

Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the info. How has the little 3 cylinder diesel been for you? I think it will be a lot better under load than the gas.[/QUOTE]

It's been great, you won't be disappointed

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have that "little 3 cyl" in a bunch of stuff but not this particular model. You will be stunned by the maintenance plan compared to your normal gas mower.
Edited to add. its a great engine, not saying that, but at this hp range its simply not needed nor are the hydraulics.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hydraulic lift and power steering are two great things on a small tractor. Makes it so easy to run that your wife/kids may even want to mow for you. I have a Kubota BX25D, and love it. Passed by the local dealer coming back from the range just today. Where are you in NC?

Posts: 1642 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I do not have a Kubota, I do have a garden tractor with hydraulic lift. Definitely worth going hydraulic! The "strong arm" lift can be a pain, literally, if you need to raise and lower the deck, blower, plow multiple times. Unless you mow in circles and never have to raise the deck, go for it. I like nice rows and am constantly raising the deck to go in reverse to line up the next row. Snowblowing deep snow or drifts, you can raise the blower up and take 2 cuts by lowering it with one finger.

I will say this about diesel though. Do you have other vehicles that take diesel? It will be another can in the garage or shed that is always in the way. If everything else is gas, stick with one can to cover everything. Plus, no chance of mixing things up and ruining an engine. But! The torque of diesel is quite impressive for doing work!

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
not a 2120 but I have a Kubota zero turn, 48" mower and a 26 horse tractor with bush hog, frt end loader, etc. Been very happy with both machines. Kubota is well engineered, well made and they flat work.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Where are you in NC?

Fresh transplant to the Winston Salem area. I just escaped the evil clutches of Ned Lamont.

quote:
Do you have other vehicles that take diesel? It will be another can in the garage or shed that is always in the way. If everything else is gas, stick with one can to cover everything. Plus, no chance of mixing things up and ruining an engine.

My truck is diesel. I've already got a can for straight gas, a can for 50:1 two smoke, what's another? Wink

posted Hide Post
Right there with you. Three cans. Gas, Stihl mix, and LawnBoy mix.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a Kubota Diesel Garden Tractor. Bought new in 2003. It was a money pit. The 4 wheel steering broke several times, the transmission failed, cracked cylinder head (that was due to an aftermarket spark arrestor placed by the dealer and not strictly a Kubota issue, majority of the cost of replacement paid by Kubota), radiator replaced and replaced mower deck chute several times (its plastic and cracks). Spent almost as much in repairs as it was new. I had 5 acres to mow and it took days. Would have been better off hiring someone with a full size tractor and mower deck to mow the pasture, Had about 1/3 acre of lawn and it was ok on that but didn't give a very good cut even with freshly sharpened blades. I sold it 2 years ago with about 160 hrs on it. I believe it was a GR 2120 or GR 2100. The "glide steer" was new for that model year and so the design may have been improved but the other stuff?

Mark Twain

Posts: 1414 | Location: Coastal Carolina | Registered: July 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
W-S? Me too. Sink Kubota is on US 64 just west of Lexington. PHAShoots.com is the website for the great local range, same area. And The Gun Store is right off exit 92, from US 52, edge of Lexington as well. All A-1.

Posts: 1642 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sink Kubota is on US 64 just west of Lexington. PHAShoots.com is the website for the great local range, same area. And The Gun Store is right off exit 92, from US 52, edge of Lexington as well. All A-1.

Thank you sir, saw the boys at Sink last Friday and just took delivery of my Model Year 2020 Kubota GR 2120. I love this thing, it is an absolute unit. Crappy cell phone pix to come.