SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Moving old truck with ATV and ATV trailer across multiple states...any thoughts?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moving old truck with ATV and ATV trailer across multiple states...any thoughts? Login/Join 
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dilettante:
Can a moving company take the ATV in a standard truck? It's about 750 lb.

I don't think the weight will be the issue. Getting it in the truck might be. Also the issue if there is gas in the machine.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
Grease axles and check tires and pressures. Biggest mistake I see, are people running down the road pulling a trailer at 70-80 mph, if you want mechanical problems do this. I have lost count after 2 million miles of all the boats, campers, toy haulers and cargo trailers that have passed me and later that day I have seen wrecked or broken down later.

Slow and easy 60-65 and you should be fine, if you pre trip before you go.

Posts: 3560 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
^^^^
I learned a few things after I bought our first travel trailer. Most trailer tires are speed rated at 65mph max. Most travel trailers and fifth wheels are close to the max load of the tires. After about five years, trailers tires should be replaced reguardless of how much tread they have. The testing standards for ST, trailer, tires is much easier than the standards for LT, light truck, tires which is why an ST tire will have a higher load index than an LT tire of the same size and load range.

For a lightly loaded utlility trailer, I would do what has already been mentiomed. Clean and lube the bearings, make sure the tires are good. I'd replace them if they are dry rotted. I'd also replace them if they are old.

As far as the truck, if it's well maintained, I'd have no worries driving it 3/4 the way across the country.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post