SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Moving old truck with ATV and ATV trailer across multiple states...any thoughts?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moving old truck with ATV and ATV trailer across multiple states...any thoughts? Login/Join 
posted
I'm helping a friend move back east from Colorado. He needs to either keep or sell his vehicles.

He has a 19-year-old F150 with over 100,000 miles on it.
He has an 8-year-old Arctic Cat TRV and a trailer to go with it.
I looked into having them shipped--it would be about $900 for the truck, $1000 for the ATV, and the trailer would cost too much.

Usually I would say to sell everything locally, but there's only a week to do this, so he might take a big loss.

What would you guys do? Hitch everything together and drive them all across country, knowing the truck might break down? Sell everything locally even with a loss?

Any experiences to share?

Posts: 85 | Location: Between Maryland and Virginia | Registered: October 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Drive it. Yeah, it may break down. A 2017 Benz might, too. If it breaks, you deal with it and get back on the road.

Posts: 417 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: June 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Drive it, but have him be smart. Grease the trailer bearings. Be sure tires can handle it and make sure he keeps them inflated properly.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Definitely drive it. Hell, if it's been taken care of, 100,000 miles on that Ford is nothing. The ATV is not that heavy and if he does proper maintenance on the trailer he should be just fine.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Drive it, for certain.

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I have a 1999 Tahoe and wouldn't hesitate to drive it cross country.
I would ask about the condition of the trailer. You don't want to trailer any distance with bad tires.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
Sell the trailer. Load the ATV in the pickup and drive.

Posts: 3240 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the idea of "load it up and drive" but the ATV weighs 700+ pounds. It would need a ramp to get it in the truck, meaning we'd have to buy a ramp or borrow one on each side.

Posts: 85 | Location: Between Maryland and Virginia | Registered: October 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dilettante:
I like the idea of "load it up and drive" but the ATV weighs 700+ pounds. It would need a ramp to get it in the truck, meaning we'd have to buy a ramp or borrow one on each side.

Maybe y'all can find a bank to back the truck up to and drive the ATV right in. Get it out the same way on the other end. I've loaded/unloaded motorcycles, riding mowers, and all kinds of stuff that way.

The water in Washington won't clear up until we get the pigs out of the creek~Senator John Kennedy

Posts: 987 | Location: Richmond, KY | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most 20 yr old vehicles have 200+ miles on them... drive that puppy!

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
If he has taken care of his truck and trailer it should be no problem.

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As suggested, back up to a bank but use 2x10's or 2x12's as "runners" for loading if there is any gap. If you end up using the trailer, don't just grease the bearings but clean, check and repack them. I've got a 20 year old GMC and I would drive from the St Louis area to California in it tomorrow if I had to.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Now's a good time for a road trip. Not too hot and not too cold. When we made our trek out of Colorado with our camper, it was -26 degrees on the eastern plains. Made the mistake of adding air to the trailer tires in Sydney. By the time we got to Lincoln Nebraska we had a flat. Lost a good hour only to learn the valve froze open and the air leaked out.

Keep the trailer too. I made the mistake of selling my atv trailer because I dint think it was worth it to pay storage fees on it as we didn't have room for it at the house. I took a big loss on it and regret selling it. Ended up buying another trailer within a year. Not as nice as the last one but it fits in our garage.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5752 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expat:
Sell the trailer. Load the ATV in the pickup and drive.

This for sure!

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Spare tire for truck, trailer, and a AAA membership and enjoy the drive.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25422 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Spare tire for truck, trailer, a jack and a AAA membership and enjoy the drive.

A minor but important addition, and emphasis on the AAA membership!

Have a safe trip...
Don

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
As long as the truck and trailer have been maintained and have no issues I would drive.

AAA membership isn't a bad idea.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16399 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
Drive it.

Posts: 1812 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Regarding the AAA membership, make sure to get the upgraded "Gold" or "RV/Plus" membership. It covers 100 miles of towing. The basic only covers 5 miles and many places charge $5 or more per mile. The over mileage is what kills your wallet. I used to run tow trucks, and had to break the bad news more often than I wanted, to a basic member.

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can a moving company take the ATV in a standard truck? It's about 750 lb.