SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Graduation is finally upon us!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Graduation is finally upon us! Login/Join 
The Traveler
Picture of Sweden
posted
Tomorrow marks the culmination of eleven long years of sacrifice. P239Girl is graduating from Colorado State University with two degrees; B.S. Agricultural Business and B.S. Animal Science. She’s been on the Dean’s list each of the last two years and is finishing up with all A’s for the second semester in a row. To say I’m proud would be a gross understatement.

P239Girl had a rough upbringing. Her blood parents are both addicts and were either wards of the State or dependents of the State, depending on the week. Thankfully at a very young age she was adopted by her maternal grandparents. However, Grandpa passed when she was 12, and then Grandma a few years later. Having dropped out of highschool to help provide for younger siblings, she didn’t have a typical childhood. Right or wrong, she made sound decisions in the best interest of those kids. Unfortunately, her siblings followed the path of her blood parents.

Fast forward a few years into her twenties. She was working as the office manager for an appraisal company. One day she informed me she “didn’t want to work at the front desk the rest of her life.” That evening we set a plan in place to get her a GED and subsequent college education. She was scared silly to re-learn math, but otherwise determined to climb this mountain. With constant encouragement and a proper mix of goading, she eventually registered for her GED and passed on her first sitting. Wasting no time, she enrolled in some remedial classes at the local community college and initiated her secondary educational studies. Working at least one, often two full-time jobs, she undertook what would become a path towards her dreams. She’d always hoped to work with animals and had premonitions she’d be employed by department of wildlife. Taking classes on-line and at numerous sister universities, she slowly built sufficient credits to apply for transfer to a leading vet program. There was no plan B, it was CSU or bust. Excitement beamed the day her acceptance letter arrived.

Now a fractured family, we’ve lived a hundred miles apart (the few weeks a year I’m not traveling for work). Intermixed with year-round full-time classes and still working at least one job, she bore me a beautiful daughter named Abigale. While an additional responsibility to juggle, she’s found a way stay focused on her goals and raise an amazing little girl. Throughout all this, she has been an exemplary step-mother and role model to my now 16yo son. She is superwoman as far as I’m concerned.

……This Cinderella story has a proper ending. As soon-to-be college grads tend to do, she’s been interviewing extensively the last six months but not found the right fit. Last week she was called into interview with the Department of Parks and Wildlife. That interview with the department director went well and resulted in a ‘soft’ job offer. (The director is on vacation till next week but the director’s boss called last night discussing potential start dates and saying he expected her to sign the papers when she gets back to town).

Many of you have met and befriended the love of my life, tonight we toast to her!

Catch a dream, hold on tight; sacrifice today for a sound tomorrow night.

Job well done honey, I love you!

Posts: 2484 | Location: CO | Registered: April 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will raise my virtual glass in that toast! Congratulations!!

Posts: 214 | Registered: December 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of E26R-40-BSE
posted Hide Post
Congrats, that's quite the accomplishment! You should both be proud!

Posts: 839 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: November 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Wow! Congrats to both of you. I must admit I'm a bit envious of your solid relationship as well. Best wishes for a healthy, enjoyable, and loving future!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Sounds like she's really earned herself a couple B.S. degrees - outstanding!

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
Congratulations indeed!

Posts: 3424 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Wonderful and inspirational story!

Keep chasing the dream and congratulations!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Set out once to become the world's greatest procrastinator, but never got around to it
Picture of Fdan
posted Hide Post
That is just an outstanding story! Congratulations to all of you. Smile

Posts: 1983 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing this, congrats to all!

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to your daughter!

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7232 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of james_1234
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing your story. Congrats to you and your daughter!

Posts: 1359 | Location: Colorado | Registered: May 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Awesome drive....

And you are lucky man

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats to you both.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Way to go, hopes she get that job.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
An inspiring journey

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to both you and her
Thank you for sharing.
Those are great degrees to have
I wish I would have had the foresight to a get a degree in those fields or wildlife/range management.

If that position doesn't work out, have her watch USAJobs, the Dept of Interior should be announcing/posting openings for Range Techs, range management and also for the Wild Mustang and Burro positions. Even though they are seasonal they last most of summer and into the late fall.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
I appreciate being able to know what you've shared. Congratulations to you both.

Posts: 7342 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is a great story. Thank you for sharing it, and a Big Congratulations to her for accomplishing her dream.

That is downright inspiring. Love stories like this. Really helps to hear some people still are willing to go the hard road and make it happen.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1106 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Traveler
Picture of Sweden
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2484 | Location: CO | Registered: April 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
'Inspirational' isn't a strong enough word.
Congratulations to you both!

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post