SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Israeli / palestinian relations, book suggestions please.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Israeli / palestinian relations, book suggestions please. Login/Join 
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted
I was at lunch with a friend of mine and he asked me a question that I thought I knew something about. I began to answer him and realized I did not know what I thought I knew. He was asking about the recent incident and wanted to know the press seemed so anti-Israeli. I began my explanation and quickly ran out of steam. Now chagrinned, I seek information. Naturally I reviewed some history and read what I could on the 'net but now I'd like more.

Could any of our well-read members point me in the direction of a good history of the conflict between Israel and Palestine?

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
This goes back as far as recorded history. Check out Genesis chapters 16 & 17.

The true "father" of Islam is Ishmael.

God said of him:

He shall be a wild man; His hand shall be against every man, And every man’s hand against him.

God also said:

And as for Ishmael, I have heard you. Behold, I have blessed him, and will make him fruitful, and will multiply him exceedingly. He shall beget twelve princes, and I will make him a great nation.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From Time Immemorial by Joan Peters

The Case For Israel by Alan Dershowitz

Silent

Posts: 1019 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ammoholic
Picture of drtenb330
posted Hide Post
^^^^Second for Alan Dershowitz. Very articulate, well thought out.

Posts: 1632 | Location: Miami Beach, Florida | Registered: December 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The Palestinians and BLM have a lot in common.
Both occasionally have a legitimate grievance but the news media paints them as saints all the time.
Most of the time they are creating their own problems then claiming the other side is totally at fault.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! I have downloaded both recommendations.

Big bore, I started my explanation in Genesis then ran out of gas.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rsbolo:

Big bore, I started my explanation in Genesis then ran out of gas.

Email sent.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
From Time Immemorial by Joan Peters

Published in 2001, pre 9/11. How can this NOT have been made available in Kindle format??

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The following books have good historical background info:

"The Peace to End All Peace: The Fall of the Ottoman Empire and the Creation of the Modern Middle East" - talks about the division of the Ottoman Empire at the end of WW1 that set the stage for the Middle East conflicts of the past 100 years, including the occupation/supervision of Palestine by the British and the attempts to allow Jews and Palestinians to coexist in the post-WW1 era.

"1948" - talks a bit about the background of the Jewish resettlement of Palestine, but is mainly about the withdrawal of the British from Palestine, the declaration of the State of Israel, the expulsion/emigration/flight of Palestinians, and the first war between the Arabs and Israelis.

There's also a good historical documentary series on YouTube that covers the early history of Israel, starting with the early Zionist immigrants to Ottoman Palestine in the late 1800s, the conflict between Jewish immigrants/residents and Palestinians in the early-to-mid 1900s, the mass influx of Jews after WW2, and continuing through the formation of Israel in 1948. It's titled "Pillar of Fire".

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"O Jerusalem"
by Larry Collins and Dominique Lapierre. It covers the founding of Israel in 1948.

Posts: 101 | Location: Jhb, South Africa | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Another vote for O, Jerusalem!

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
I got alot out of "From Beirut to Jerusalem"

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
The Palestinians and BLM have a lot in common.
Both occasionally have a legitimate grievance but the news media paints them as saints all the time.
Most of the time they are creating their own problems then claiming the other side is totally at fault.

I think that qualifies as an out of the park homerun. Very often, maybe most often, people ignore, deny, or are willfully blind to the reality that their poor conditions are the result of their earlier poor choices.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post