SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Appliance Brad freezer not as cold as it should be
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Appliance Brad freezer not as cold as it should be Login/Join 
Six Days on the Road
Picture of vandrv
posted
Brad or anybody else with freezer knowledge, I have an Amanda chest freezer model AQC0701DRW that is about a year old. I noticed tonight that the food in it is not as hard as it should be. The power and the compressor light are both on. I stuck a thermometer in it and it reads 28 degrees. I turned the temperature down but so far haven't seen any drop in temp. Is there anything I can check for problems or should I just start eating before all this food goes bad. Thanks for any help.

Posts: 759 | Location: The Boulevard of Broken Dreams | Registered: June 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it's under warranty, utilize the warranty. Sounds like it might have a freon leak just off the bat.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Six Days on the Road
Picture of vandrv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
If it's under warranty, utilize the warranty. Sounds like it might have a freon leak just off the bat.

I can't remember right off hand exactly when I bought it, but the way luck runs the warranty ran out last week. Is there a way to determine a Fremont leak. I cannot hear any noise from the compressor.

Posts: 759 | Location: The Boulevard of Broken Dreams | Registered: June 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Freezers are pretty simple. If the compressor is running, probably a leak in the sealed system. Older than 1 year and out of warranty? I'd not mess with service, just go get another freezer.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Six Days on the Road
Picture of vandrv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
Freezers are pretty simple. If the compressor is running, probably a leak in the sealed system. Older than 1 year and out of warranty? I'd not mess with service, just go get another freezer.

Thanks Brad. How can I tell if the compressor is running? I figured it might not be cost effective to have it repaired. I'm guessing that it is about fourteen months old, but will check tomorrow. I bought this freezer on your suggestion, so if I need to replace it, should I look for the same model, or is there something that is likely better? Thanks for any ideas.

Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Take the cover off the end of the freezer, compressor is underneath it. It should be warm/hot to the touch and have a mild hum or vibration if it's running.

It is possible you could have a bad thermostat (easy to check, just jumper it out) or a bad start device. in fact, I've seen a couple freezers lately where the start device (where the wires connect to the freezer) were not seated fully and burned up the device.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Six Days on the Road
Picture of vandrv
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Brad. I will check that out. I found the receipt and the freezer is a couple of days over thirteen months old. The dealer where I bought it said to give Whirlpool a call and see what they say. Hopefully it is just a cheap easily replaceable part.