SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Happy 72nd VJ Day Tomorrow
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Happy 72nd VJ Day Tomorrow Login/Join 
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted
Tomorrow's the day the Emperor threw in the towel and I got to be born.
I know, September 2nd is the day the surrender documents were signed but the 15th is when most of the shooting stopped.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
And my neighbor Gene Buehman was a YOUNG Sailor on the Missouri, when the surrender was signed.

And my Dad was on R&R after surviving a month on Iwo Jima. He mentioned to me that most Marines felt an invasion of Japan was inevitable. I distinctly remember him telling me that when the surrender was announced...Many of them simply did not believe it.

What a day it had to be for those destined for a mainland invasion!

Someone needs to post the shot of the Sailor kissing the Nurse in (IIRC) Times Square...when the surrender was announced. My favorite photo of the war. The END of it.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Also, the last war we officially won.
Events since then show that fighting to a draw and peace treaties don't usually work out too well.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

My father and uncle, selling icecream to the saliors in San Diego on VJ day.

Almost the same as kissing pretty nurses...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post