Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Horse Day Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Ah, I envy you. I haven't had an opportunity to work with horses for many years. That's a good looking young man you have, and I'm sure you're going to have great fun working with him.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
good looking horse. do you just ride for fun or use them for work or polo or fox hunting or...?

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
Ahh, that new horse smell....

Beautiful animal, enjoy!!!

Posts: 1696 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
good looking horse. do you just ride for fun or use them for work or polo or fox hunting or...?

TBG (The Beautiful Girl) will train him to compete in the Hunter discipline.

When I ride him, it will be in western tack for fun, but this is really a project horse for her, and I have my own old boy.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

For those of you who have not had the pleasure of meeting ArtieS, here are a couple of photos of him on horseback:

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Well, I am a redhead of English decent...

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

For those of you who have not had the pleasure of meeting ArtieS, here are a couple of photos of him on horseback:

Hey, we have some very cultured members here. Right? No? Yeah, nevermind.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
I know little about horses. However, I do know when something looks good and that is one fine looking horse. Best wishes for a long future with the new steed.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tenacious
Tempestuous
with Integrity
posted Hide Post
Do you use the same horse for polo and fox hunting?

Posts: 789 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
[insufferably stuffy English accent]Heavens, no.

Polo is played on polo ponies. One brings at least six ponies so that one always has a fresh pony for a chukker.

When one rides to hounds, a good jump is imperative to clear the hedges you know. A hunter of at least 16 hands is a bare minimum.

Silly philistine.[/insufferably stuffy English accent]

Edited to apologize and clarify.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ArtieS,

The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Feels odd to Congratulate a man on severely damaging his net worth

Posts: 5738 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
But I’m sure he’ll be fun

Posts: 5738 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Feels odd to Congratulate a man on severely damaging his net worth

Tenacious
Tempestuous
with Integrity
posted Hide Post
ArtieS, Please accept my apology for being an ignorant ,boorish, working class jerk! I thought I had asked a legitimate question that I did not know the answer. I do not appreciate the childish name calling. I would expect more from an educated,high class individual.

Posts: 789 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
jgerge222, no apology necessary from you, and my reply was intended to be tongue in cheek.

I sincerely apologize for offending you, and regret that you did not find my reply in jest. I certainly only intended to keep the English Hunting and Polo joke going, and not cause offense. In fact, I intended the polo and hunt post to be read with an insufferably stuffy English accent, and probably should have been clearer about that.

V-Tail was pulling my chain with the hunting and polo stuff (the picture of the guy playing polo is Prince Harry, not me). We don't do any of that, and are ordinary, central Florida recreational horse riders, with a small barn.

Please accept my apology, and understand that I mean no harm.

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
To give you a serious answer, I know very little about polo, but polo is played on small, quick, maneuverable horses that run extremely hard during the match. A match is broken into 7 minute periods each called a "chukker" A short match is 4 chukkers and a full grass match is 6 chukkers. Typically, given the intensity of the movement a polo player will use a new pony for each chukker, because the horses get exhausted. Thus either 4 or 6 horses would be needed for a match. Professional players may use double that number and change horses in the middle of a period.

The Hunting picture that V-Tail posted is traditional horseback hunting, also known as riding to hounds, which is following a pack of hounds across the fields, streams and hedges as the hounds chase a fox. Often, the fox was caught before the ride, caged, and then released with a head start, then the dogs went, then the horses went. England has now outlawed fox hunting with dogs as being cruel to the fox. It is still done with a chemical sent trail for the dogs to follow, and clubs exist for people to practice that form of riding. The sport of "cross country riding" is a timed course that is meant to mimic this sport and is even an Olympic event.

The discipline that my partner competes in is called "Hunter" riding, but that is a competition conducted by riding a course in an arena and being judged by a professional judge. These events subjectively judged, they aren't timed. They involve non-jumping flat classes, jumping classes and what are called equitation classes. Equitation judges the rider; the other classes judge the horse.

Show Jumping, which is also an Olympic sport, looks a lot looks a bit like the Hunter discipline, in that there is a jump course set up in an arena, but unlike Hunters, it is a timed course, and time faults are awarded for knocking over rails on a jump, or exceeding a certain maximum time. There is no subjective component in Show Jumping.

Dressage is a subjectively judged event where the horse performs a series of stylized movements, and has two judging components; degree of difficulty, and execution of the movement. Certain movements are required, at different levels of competition. It's kind of the horse sport equivalent of figure skating, and is often performed to music.

Then there's the entire scope of "western" riding disciplines, which although I ride western style tack, I don't understand at all.

I hope this helps.

Tenacious
Tempestuous
with Integrity
posted Hide Post
Thanks Artie, I shan't raise my hackles so quickly. No offense taken, I really do not have any horse knowledge or sense, but I always do enjoy your pictures of your beautiful horses.

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Thank you, I appreciate your grace.

A