SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need recommendations for a simple Mac laptop database app
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need recommendations for a simple Mac laptop database app Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
First, please don’t drift this thread to Microsoft or Linux platforms – thanks.

I want to get a simple Mac laptop database app. My basic requirements:

1. Everything (app & data) on my Mac, as opposed to the cloud.
2. $30 (max) one-time cost (no subscription).
3. Easy database creation and modification.

I don’t need numerical or statistical capabilities – just text data. And the quantity of data would be moderate.

A spreadsheet can serve some database functions, but becomes awkward with increasingly complex requirements.

I checked the web and found LOTS of offerings – a PITA to sort through them all, so asking for help from the brain trust. Do any of you folks have experience with Mac database apps such as I described?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyanide357
posted Hide Post
If you're just looking for something similar along the lines of MS Access - you could use LibreOffice Base (just install the full libre office suite). It's free (open source) LibreOffice

If you need a higher capability database, then there are other open source options available (SQLLite, Postgres, CouchDB, MongoDB, etc) that should all work.

Posts: 249 | Registered: November 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You don't give any significant info there. Database is a big word and covers a lot of data types. This looks like a good place to start.

What do you need to do? Run queries, access via an application, the questions can go on and on.

Just to let you know, no "real" databases run on a Mac because they are not servers. It doesn't sound like you need a "real" database but I'm just guessing here.

SQL Lite Is A Real DB But May Be More Than You Need.

Posts: 7546 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
MySQL. When you decide to run Python, which is currently installed in your Mac, you'll have a match made in heaven.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just to let you know, no "real" databases run on a Mac because they are not servers.
This is patently false. The underpinnings of MacOS is a more-or-less standard Unix (as popularly known in this day and age), and you can configure Mac hardware to be the equal of or superior to the great majority of Internet "servers" extant in the world today, although the "lowly" MacMini is good enough for the majority of uses.

My clients run Mac servers for a variety of server-style applications, web, mail, DNS, database, etc. some with a global scope, and hundreds of thousands of clients. Most open source server software easily compiles and runs on macOS. Apple even distributes a "macOS Server" application that provides packaged "server software," and allows an administrator to manage network services via a GUI.

Since the OP mentioned laptops, I will concede that it is more of a challenge to configure a laptop with sufficient resources to act in a server role, but it certainly can be done.

It might be helpful, so as to bound this discussion, to define what is meant by a "real" database. I think the folks at MongoDB, MySQL, and Sybase, all of which run on macOS, might have their own opinions on this matter.

Posts: 6456 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
quote:
Just to let you know, no "real" databases run on a Mac because they are not servers.
This is patently false. The underpinnings of MacOS is a more-or-less standard Unix (as popularly known in this day and age), and you can configure Mac hardware to be the equal of or superior to the great majority of Internet "servers" extant in the world today, although the "lowly" MacMini is good enough for the majority of uses.

My clients run Mac servers for a variety of server-style applications, web, mail, DNS, database, etc. some with a global scope, and hundreds of thousands of clients. Most open source server software easily compiles and runs on macOS. Apple even distributes a "macOS Server" application that provides packaged "server software," and allows an administrator to manage network services via a GUI.

Since the OP mentioned laptops, I will concede that it is more of a challenge to configure a laptop with sufficient resources to act in a server role, but it certainly can be done.

It might be helpful, so as to bound this discussion, to define what is meant by a "real" database. I think the folks at MongoDB, MySQL, and Sybase, all of which run on macOS, might have their own opinions on this matter.

You're full of shit. The next time you see a 1tb to a 800tb db nuning on a Mac, let me knowBig Grin Bwaaaaaaaaaaaahahaha. They don't exist. Back to the thread, MySql or SqlLite might do a good job for the OP.

Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I've seen many 1TB+ databases on Macs, Mostly RDBMS's under Oracle or Sybase. I don't think I've seen anything as large as 800TB that wasn't implemented in a distributed manner. Can you give a working example of something like that in the environments with which you are familiar?

Posts: 6456 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
I concur with LibreOffice.

Libre - free download, open Base, create a database ...

On my MBP (13-inch, 2018, 16GB, 1TB), I use Python and Flask (RESTful web services), create new databases with Libre, and when tasked, import MySQL databases (extra steps with Java issues easily solved and documented online).

Others are sure to chime in.

--chris

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
I've seen many 1TB+ databases on Macs, Mostly RDBMS's under Oracle or Sybase. I don't think I've seen anything as large as 800TB that wasn't implemented in a distributed manner. Can you give a working example of something like that in the environments with which you are familiar?

Let's start a new thread and not wreck this one. I think we could have a great discussion! I'm pretty sure I will value your opinion.

Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
Airtable? I’m looking for a FileMaker alternative.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
Looks interesting, but, as I said, no cloud.

“Description
Airtable is a cloud collaboration service…”

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions folks, I truly appreciate them. But most were over my head. It’s not you, it’s me. In the meantime, I’ve found one (link below), that appears to be about what I want. And it’s free (with in-app upgrade offer for additional features). And I didn’t see any mention of “cloud” in the article (win!), except for iCloud to sync Mac and iPad apps (I don’t have an iPad).

https://mac360.com/2016/08/yes...ree-ac-database-app/

Serious about crackers

Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
FileMaker Pro...

Easy, not super expensive, fairly intuitive, good online blogs for "how do I...?" questions

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:
MySQL. When you decide to run Python, which is currently installed in your Mac, you'll have a match made in heaven.

I have mySQL running on my MacBook Pro. It's free, and so is mySQL Workbench, which gives you a nice GUI with which to use it.

By the way, mySQL is enterprise-level software. There are commercial sites and organizations that use it.

https://www.macupdate.com/find/mac/mySQL

https://www.mysql.com/products/workbench/

https://www.thoughtco.com/inst...mysql-on-mac-2693866

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post