SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any experience with AVID? (school program)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any experience with AVID? (school program) Login/Join 
It seemed like a good idea...
Picture of lude4life
posted
My daughter was nominated to join the school's AVID program by her teachers.

She has expressed wanting to take AP classes for college credit in high school.

From what I understand, the program is a college prep/readiness system? They will be put in more advanced classes. She said they will do some community service and college field trips as well.

She is 12 right now (will be 13 next year when going into the program).

Doing research its hard to get a feel for it. Kind of comes off as a remedial program for struggling kids, although my daughter has straight A's with a couple B's. And other sites sound like its a program to take "average" kids that show higher potential but may be holding back due to shyness, friends, or whatever.

Im all for it. Anything that will better prepare her for high school AP classes and college/scholarships is great in my opinion. Just confused on the program and why its not a standard for all students or if it is a type of remedial course, why it wasnt brought to my attention she needed more help in school, although her grades surely didnt show it.

Thanks for any insight or experiences you have with the program.

-Jay

"Assault is a type of behavior, not a type of hardware." -Alan Korwin

Posts: 2810 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: November 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
When my wife and I were first married she logged a LOT of volunteer hours working as an AVID reading tutor. I don't remember much as it was almost 10 years ago, but I'll ask her what she recalls.

Posts: 6363 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
The form of the program will vary by school. In our district, it's primarily for students who are struggling.

I think that band or choir could easily accomplish the same goals. But I might be a little biased.

Posts: 3675 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Family Man
posted Hide Post
AVID is a program which hopes to take students performing below their potential and provide support and strategies for successfully graduating high school and moving on to college.

The typical AVID student is muddling through academically, would be the first person in their family to attend college, and one who could be successful in the AP/DC classroom with support (tutoring, study skills, and organizational strategies.)

The quality of the program in your daughter's school will depend on the teacher (the most critical component to the success of the program), the integration of AVID strategies throughout the school, and your daughter's work ethic. Most schools require students in AVID to take at least one AP or dual credit class. She would also have an AVID class period during the day that would act as one of her electives.

Based on your post, I'm not sure your daughter is an ideal candidate for AVID. That does not mean she would not benefit from it. I suspect the teacher believes your daughter could and/or should be taking more challenging classes, and hopes AVID which encourage her to do so.

Posts: 987 | Registered: December 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post