SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Rare parchment copy of Declaration of Independence found by Harvard researchers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rare parchment copy of Declaration of Independence found by Harvard researchers Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
Fox News

An extremely rare copy of the Declaration of Independence has been found in an obscure records office in southern England.

The National Archives in Washington has the only other parchment document like it, say Harvard researchers Emily Sneff and Danielle Allen.

They uncovered the copy at the West Sussex Records Office, in Chichester, England.

The Sussex archive listed the document as “manuscript copy, on parchment, of the Declaration in Congress of the thirteen United States of America,” in its online catalog.

“I’d found vague descriptions of other copies of the Declaration that turned out to be 19th-century reproductions of the signed parchment in the National Archives, so that was what I was expecting,” Sneff told the Harvard Gazette. “What struck me as significant was that it said manuscript on parchment.”

Sneff was sent a disc with photos of the document.

“When I looked at it closely, I started to see details, like names that weren’t in the right order — John Hancock isn’t listed first, there’s a mark at the top that looks like an erasure, the text has very little punctuation in it — and it’s in a handwriting I hadn’t seen before,” she said. “As those details started adding up, I brought it to Danielle’s attention and we realized this was different from any other copy we had seen.”

The researchers said the signers on the Sussex version are not broken down by state, something that distinguishes it from the copy in the National Archives.

The two dated the document to the 1780s and that it originally belonged to a Duke of Richmond known as the "Radical Duke" for his support of Americans during the Revolutionary War.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
World famous item has just been sitting around in an office for the last 240 years and nobody noticed ?

Posts: 4757 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
32nd degree
Picture of roarindan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
World famous item has just been sitting around in an office for the last 240 years and nobody noticed ?

Ohhh somebody noticed Jerry... I mean they logged it into their online catalogue.

"the world doesn't end til yer dead, 'til then there's more beatin's in store, stand it like a man, and give some back"
Al Swearengen

Posts: 4586 | Location: East Overshoe, second buckle from the top. | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Maybe this is the F-you that Georgy III received.

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I would think the British would have been sent at least one copy

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
No, I can't remember the name of the "radical Duke", but he existed. John Wilkes, the Parliamentary bugbear, was also a well-known supporter of American liberties. We did have a few supporters over there. If the Brits were to get a copy, it would've been from a diplomat or spy rather than something officially sent by Congress.

As to why the document sat in a beaurocratic office for so long, well, it's not one of the more famous copies (aren't there four or five "originals"?) and it wouldn't be something that the Brits would consider a vitally important historical document.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I'll be honest, I don't recall any history classes teaching how the message was provided to the British after the signing. I'm guessing it wasn't emailed or faxed.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
The details of various broadsides, engrossed versions, etc., such as is known, are found here.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
I'll be honest, I don't recall any history classes teaching how the message was provided to the British after the signing. I'm guessing it wasn't emailed or faxed.

We unfriended the King on our Facebook page.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
It is believed to have originally belonged to the Duke of Richmond, or the 'Radical Duke,' who left behind a legacy of advanced views on parliamentary reform.
'It would be nice to associate this document with the radical duke,' Sneff said.
During the Revolutionary War he gave significant support to the Americans, reported the Globe.
The document was most likely created in New York or Philadelphia, and researchers are trying to determine who wrote it and paid for it to be copied.
It is not an official government document, like the original, but a display copy likely created by a commercial clerk in the 1780's, reported the New York Times.

tac

Posts: 11315 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

It was just some nonsense from the upstart colonists.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:

We unfriended the King on our Facebook page.

::ThumbsUp::

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

It was just some nonsense from the upstart colonists.

Not at all. Please read my post above yours. It was a copy sent to one of the few friends the emerging Colonies had, one who put his money where his mouth was in support of the abolition of tyrannical government in all places.

tac

Posts: 11315 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
The details of various broadsides, engrossed versions, etc., such as is known, are found here.

In 1949, 14 copies of the Dunlap broadside were known to exist. The number had increased to 21 by 1975. There were 24 known copies of the Dunlap broadside in 1989, when a 25th broadside was discovered behind a painting bought for four dollars at a flea market.

In these parts, west of Philadelphia, any very old mirror frame or picture at a garage sale usually has the backing unfastened to check for hidden documents. I've stopped at plenty of "sales" as do others. I've also seen "distressed" looking bureau mirrors for sale which appear to have untampered backing, displayed by people far too wily to miss a potential windfall.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:

Not at all. Please read my post above yours. It was a copy sent to one of the few friends the emerging Colonies had, one who put his money where his mouth was in support of the abolition of tyrannical government in all places.

tac

It was a little joke. Very little, apparently.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

The 16th one in the list is of particular interest given its clear lineage and usage, now located at Independence National Historical Park in Philly:

quote:
previously owned by Col. John Nixon, appointed by the sheriff of Philadelphia to read the Declaration of Independence to the public on July 8, 1776, in the State House yard; presented to the park by his heirs in 1951.

I'd like to see that one.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Crap if it's in the Hands of Progressive liberal professors, they'll re-write it!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post