SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bradford White Gas water heater problem
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bradford White Gas water heater problem Login/Join 
Picture of Seotaji
posted
A friend has a Bradford White gas water heater.

Model: MI403S6FBN

The control panel is not flashing with a status light.

Is there anything other than a bad control board that would cause the status light to turn off (other than a lack of power)?

I'm willing to throw parts at it, up to the cost of what the warranty company quoted to replace ($400).

I've read the manual and it has nothing for when the control panel stops flashing at all.

Thank you for your assistance!

Posts: 6917 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
How old is it?? Did you find a way to reset?

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seotaji:
A friend has a Bradford White gas water heater.

Model: MI403S6FBN

Is there anything other than a bad control board that would cause the status light to turn off (other than a lack of power)?

I'm willing to throw parts at it, up to the cost of what the warranty company quoted to replace ($400).

I've read the manual and it has nothing for when the control panel stops flashing at all.

Thank you for your assistance!

I Googled and found this:http://www.bradfordwhite.com/sites/default/files/product_literature/48494-A.pdf

I know it sounds elementary but did you verify that the heater is getting power? Reset the breaker and check the circuit up to the heater?

I've seen breakers do some strange things. Our house WAS wired used a Cutler-Hammer box and breakers circa 1994. While changing a wall switch I got frustrated as the breakers were not marked. So I got the "brilliant" idea to kill the master breaker. Audible "snap" and felt it do the same, problem was that the house did not shut down. Yep, stayed hot. Flipped it a couple more times on and off. Finally it shut down.

Replaced the switch, went to several places besides Home Depot and Lowes, electrical supply houses. No bueno, no longer made. My step-brother tried his sources, he has a general contractors license, same same. Only thing I found was a "rebuilt" breaker on Ebay. No way was I trusting that.

Called my electrician buddy, 7 and a half big ones I had a new shiny Square D panel installed. Fixed.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bradford White used to be the only American made water heater in the business. At least they were when I put mine in a few years ago. I wonder if that's still true.

Posts: 5732 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seotaji
posted Hide Post
House and water heater are 3 years old.

Could not find a breaker for the water heater.

Tried to relight the pilot using the included instructions. The water heater tried to kick on, which was good, but then immediately shut off.

Holding pilot button for 20-30 seconds while pressing the igniter.

It is getting power.

Thermocouple?

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Not saying this is the issue but I think I once had a problem with the flame not staying on. I think I replaced a flame sensor which helped. My memory is fuzzy on this though.....

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Well it certainly sounds like the thermocouple if it tries to light but goes out.

Thermocouple is only about $10, worth a try at that price. Home depot might have it... Any place that sells that brand should have basic parts like that.

https://www.repairclinic.com/P...delNumber=MI403S6FBN

Amazon has it to.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
BW is a very good company. Excellent, well-imformed CSR department. Their shortest residential warranty is 6 years, I think, on the tank. Not sure about the controls. I'd call them before making any decisions.

That unit would have a millivolt generator type thermocouple, I think.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
If this is a newer BW tank you need to 1.clean the air intake The newer tanks have a closed burner chamber and are finicky about combustion air. If the screen is dirty it is not getting enough air.
2. some BW tanks have a temperature limit snap switch that go bad. Jumper across the switch and if it stays lit it needs replaced. You can leave the jumper on until you get a new one.

I just looked at the model number and this may have a re set on the limit switch. It may be a red button. It will be under the cover by the burner.

Manual here:https://www.manualslib.com/manual/20115/Bradford-White-M-I-5036fbn.html

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1110 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of giz55792
posted Hide Post
We have a Bradford White as well that was doing the same thing. It turned out that there is a sensor that shuts it down if it detects fumes of any kind, even Mr. Clean fumes, and it fried because I was cleaning the floors. A new sensor and all was right again.

Posts: 711 | Location: Virginia, MN | Registered: October 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seotaji:
Bradford White gas water heater. Model: MI403S6FBN
House and water heater are 3 years old.
Could not find a breaker for the water heater.
Tried to relight the pilot using the included instructions. The water heater tried to kick on, which was good, but then immediately shut off.
Holding pilot button for 20-30 seconds while pressing the igniter.
It is getting power.
Thermocouple?

First, this heater is gas-fired and requires no outside electrical power. So no breaker will be found.
Secondly, it has a 6 yr. full parts warranty... so WHY would the warranty company be replacing it, when it's only 3 yrs. old?!?!

The control panel WILL NOT illuminate if the pilot isn't lit.

I'm assuming the pilot will stay lit and then try to light the main burner, then it all goes out? Or is the pilot going out when you release the button?

If it tries to light the main burner for a short time then goes out, you have a lack of combustion air. The screens in the bottom of the unit are plugged. Only 3 yrs. old, pets/remodeling?

If the pilot is the only thing that lights and goes out when you release the button, you have one of several conditions, dirty pilot, bad thermocouple, tripped high limit, etc.

Very unlikely that the gas control is the problem.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seotaji
posted Hide Post
I called the installers number that was attached to the tank. They said it's under warranty, but labor is not included. Something seemed off that they would guesstimate that the control was bad.

I dug into it last night.

The tank is burping water through the pressure release on setting 3.

The pan was full of water, but just underneath the drain. It was a not a great installation.

Pilot was lit, then trying to light the main burner, it would ignite and then go out.

The whole house is 3 years old.

I overnighted a thermocouple assembly as a precaution, so will install that tonight and report back.

I really appreciate the help. I will give BW a call. Will they deal with a homeowner instead of an installer?

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Watching this to see how it turns out. May affect my purchase decision.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
If the pilot light stays on up until the burner lights it is not a thermocouple problem.

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1110 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
My thinking? Call BW first. Their CSR team has heard it all, have x-ray eyes, and can anticipate what you see and describe. If the pilot is lit it is probably not the thermopile generator. As unlikely as it seems, it sounds like a thermostat. I rarely hear of the gas control going bad.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seotaji
posted Hide Post
It appears to be the thermocouple.

I replaced the entire assembly last night and had no problems getting the burner going.

Checked it tonight and still running solid.

Turned it down to 1 and it does not appear to be burping water out of the pressure release.

Ugh, I'm really glad this isn't my house. The builder and contractors did a number on it. It really is slapped together in places.

Nothing in this house has been maintained correctly since purchase. I have advised the homeowner to schedule annual maintenance sessions or visits from a local service center to ward off breakdowns like this in the future.

Thank you all for your amazing assistance. I can't thank you guys enough.