SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Dead at 87
Page 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... 55
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Dead at 87 Login/Join 
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaveL:
quote:
Originally posted by PrinceAliFabulousHe:
This is a joke right? This is an opportunity to screw the left over for another decade and you want to waste it appointing some left wing judge? Yeah, no thanks.

No, it’s not. Look, I don’t want to dull the fact the RGB is no longer part of the Court with a debate over what comes next, so if that needs to end I will happily end it. But Scalia was right - the politicization of the Court is probably the worst thing to happen to our country in the last 50 years. The fact that we’re bracing for a war over this nominee proves that and I’m opposed to perpetuating it because it’s threatening one of the pillars of our republic. It will only stop if someone has the integrity to not continue it when they have the power to choose otherwise. That’s the choice Trump has right now.

Appointing Ted Nugent would cost Trump another term and Republicans the Senate, and it would matter right up until January when Biden is sworn in, Breyer suddenly retires, and some ideologue who had the right turn signal removed from her car on principal is sworn in. Then the left goes on Thomas and Alito death watch. It’s like having a fifth glass of Jack Daniels - it feels good when you feel good but later you realize it was a really bad idea.

Court picks are a crap shoot. Roberts. Souter. Republican nominees have been a majority of the Court since 1969 yet they were six of the seven votes in favor of Roe v. Wade. Trying to differentiate good from great is a fool’s errand that’s not worth the political good will it would cost right now.

Getting someone better than RBG on the Court is a given, and that is cause for celebration. Getting Trump re-elected so he can play the long game is not a given, and it is infinitely better than him going out in a one-term blaze of glory.

What is gained by capitulation? You think a concession is going to induce the democrats to play by our rules? What in the last two decades could possibly make you think that that's a possibility?

Oh gee, intentionally fill the seat with another Roberts, then *maybe* get another selection to get us to the point where we'd already have been, while the democrats play for keeps and will keep throwing up RBGs and Sotomayors no matter what.

Sounds like a great idea. Roll Eyes

Posts: 3659 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
And this right here is how we always end up with a Justice Roberts. "Republicans" like Bill Kristol. A pathetic, weak, defeatist line of thinking. If you can't see the fight that lies in front of us, I don't know what else to tell you, man.

Yup. Time to play nice and be timid is long over. What has "reaching across the aisle" with the commies got us? Zero. Whenever government is involved, there will be politics, whether it's the executive, the legislative, or the judicial branch. Don't wish for no polarization, because it's never going to happen.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
quote:
Originally posted by DaveL:
quote:
Originally posted by PrinceAliFabulousHe:
This is a joke right? This is an opportunity to screw the left over for another decade and you want to waste it appointing some left wing judge? Yeah, no thanks.

No, it’s not. Look, I don’t want to dull the fact the RGB is no longer part of the Court with a debate over what comes next, so if that needs to end I will happily end it. But Scalia was right - the politicization of the Court is probably the worst thing to happen to our country in the last 50 years. The fact that we’re bracing for a war over this nominee proves that and I’m opposed to perpetuating it because it’s threatening one of the pillars of our republic. It will only stop if someone has the integrity to not continue it when they have the power to choose otherwise. That’s the choice Trump has right now.

Appointing Ted Nugent would cost Trump another term and Republicans the Senate, and it would matter right up until January when Biden is sworn in, Breyer suddenly retires, and some ideologue who had the right turn signal removed from her car on principal is sworn in. Then the left goes on Thomas and Alito death watch. It’s like having a fifth glass of Jack Daniels - it feels good when you feel good but later you realize it was a really bad idea.

Court picks are a crap shoot. Roberts. Souter. Republican nominees have been a majority of the Court since 1969 yet they were six of the seven votes in favor of Roe v. Wade. Trying to differentiate good from great is a fool’s errand that’s not worth the political good will it would cost right now.

Getting someone better than RBG on the Court is a given, and that is cause for celebration. Getting Trump re-elected so he can play the long game is not a given, and it is infinitely better than him going out in a one-term blaze of glory.

What is gained by capitulation?

A contested election, then a 4/4 split vote, then a vote in congress which Trump is expected to win.

You asked what was gained, not whether it was enough.

Those who forget the pasta are condemned to reheat it.

Posts: 1552 | Location: SF Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Nominate Condoleezza Rice so the Dems will have to be against black women

Rice is a Bush RINO. And not even a J.D. Would be a huge mistake.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheOtherDave:

A contested election, then a 4/4 split vote, then a vote in congress which Trump is expected to win.

You asked what was gained, not whether it was enough.

On what basis do you assume Trump winning a vote that gets kicked to a Congress with a 34-seat dem majority?

*edit*
Never mind, stopped reading too soon

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bobtheelf,

Posts: 3659 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

On what basis do you assume Trump winning a vote that gets kicked to a Congress with a 34-seat dem majority?

It doesn't work the way you think it does.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:

Because they vote by state, and Republicans control a majority of state delegations.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
quote:

Because they vote by state, and Republicans control a majority of state delegations.

By the absolute thinnest possible margin, which highlights the fact that EVERY election is important.

Posts: 2457 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ugeesta:
quote:
Originally posted by JoseyWales2:
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:

McConnell has located his backbone where judicial appointments are concerned, but he is backed into a corner by his 2016 statements on replacing Scalia.

Baloney. There are no corners in politics. All he has to do is say his "position evolved". How many times do we hear that from the Dems when they flip flop on something.

If I recall correctly, Sleepy Joe Biden was the first Congress critter to push the ‘no selection till the new President is seated’ crap. Think back in the 80’s.

McConnell was shoving that shit back in the Dems face in 2016. I agree with other posting here. Push the SCOTUS thru and fuck the Dems. The gloves are off and they would do the exact same thing if they were in power.
Yes, but in 2016, Joe was denying he ever said that, and was demanding the senate give Garland a vote. Of course he doesn't remember that...

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Regarding whether or not a confirmation should be attemped now...

flashguy

I looked back several pages and didn't see this mentioned (sorry if I missed it):
Just to add another dimension, if the upcoming election is contested, do we want that case to come before a court that could be divided 4-4? A 4-4 court can't decide anything. I would opine that it is urgent that a nomination be made early next week and confirmation completed well before the election. The clock is ticking.

Posts: 1314 | Location: Gainesville, VA | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markand:
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Regarding whether or not a confirmation should be attemped now...

flashguy

I looked back several pages and didn't see this mentioned (sorry if I missed it):
Just to add another dimension, if the upcoming election is contested, do we want that case to come before a court that could be divided 4-4? A 4-4 court can't decide anything. I would opine that it is urgent that a nomination be made early next week and confirmation completed well before the election. The clock is ticking.

Yep and then I believe the lower court ruling stands and that could mean the something like the 9TH Circuit.

I am in favor of President Trump and the senate going full steam ahead on the process to nominate a replacement Justice. Let the voting public see the process and how the democrats will try to smear and destroy anyone chosen like they did to Brett Kavanaugh, probably a woman, and go back to her high school classmates to hear made up preposterous maybe like she had an abortion. Let pelosi rant on how she is going to impeach Brett Kavanaugh and Clarence Thomas too.

The "first" debate should be very interesting.

I really hope this video is aired again as a political ad reminding how the democrats treat Supreme Court nominees, in this case a black nominee they tried to destroy via a "high tech lynching".

Posts: 9737 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Can't wait to hear what Rush has to say on Monday.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5396 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wait a week, then push someone through. The Democrats will never approve any nominee and there is no need for anothe Kavenaugh spectacle. Besides, the Dems already said they want to expand the number of Justices and pack the court.
Biden will be oushed to put forth his Supreme Court picks

Posts: 1401 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
The fact that we’re bracing for a war over this nominee proves that and I’m opposed to perpetuating it because it’s threatening one of the pillars of our republic. It will only stop if someone has the integrity to not continue it when they have the power to choose otherwise. That’s the choice Trump has right now.

I trust President Trump Is fully aware that history shows that attempting to appease the left is a losing proposition.

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trying to "play nice and cooperate" has proven to not work so Trump needs to push ahead with a new pick right away. Screw the democrats and we damn sure don't need a centrist like Garland. She was a bitch right to the end with the "last wish" about replacing her, so she can go to hell as well.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
So, I guess Ruth will be voting by mail?

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Maybe they should erect a statue in honor of RBG.

Posts: 3448 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
When discussing a replacement remember this...the left has already said (and I believe them) that if they gain the WH and congress they will pack the court. And this was with a live RBG.

Now is the time to press the attack, not let the foot off the gas. Ask yourself...what would the left do in this situation? Yea, exactly.

Give no quarter on this issue. FOOT ON THE GAS.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post