SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is anyone into hydroponics or aquaponics?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is anyone into hydroponics or aquaponics? Login/Join 
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted
I’m thinking about giving one or both of these methods of growing plants a try, but can’t decide on which grow media - perlite, expanded clay pellets, pea gravel or floating raft method. I like to Hear from someone with experience with this type of “farming.”

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
You workin' on growin' some stick-icky? Big Grin

Posts: 32380 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have grown hydroponically for a few years. Many trials to go through to find the best method. Since moving back to Florida after 4 years in the North Georgia Mountains, we no longer do hydroponics. I could fill a few pages on the subject, things discovered along the way. We used a variety of methods from timed and recycled slow drip, to floating rafts.

Since you are just starting up, I would advise you to go with the floating raft until you learn more about it and then progress to timed and recycled slow drip.

We used specialty mylar grow tents, 4 x 8 x 6 tall. These were placed inside of the garage. That way we controlled the climate all year long. We also experimented with lighting from the inexpensive grow florescent lamps to some very expensive LED lights that were so powerful they simulate sunlight. They require special glasses to enter the tents unless you turn off the lights. I could go on and on but I'll try to answer some of your questions after you read up on the subject.

First I recommend you get a few books on the subject. They are loaded with build plans etc. I don't remember the titles and mine disappeared in the move back to Florida. They came from Amazon.

Awake not woke

Posts: 566 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Nosticks, I think you just gave me a nudge toward the floating raft, Dutch buckets or rail systems with timed circulation of premixed nutrient solutions.
My nephew just stole 4 25X100’ green houses and we’re now trying to figure out what to do with them.
Raising fish and combining that with plants doesn’t appeal to me. I’m retired and a bit lazy. Big Grin
Nice try, Mr. Rogue, but there’ll be no brownie or special herb karmas. You’ll have to get your kicks on Route 66. Smile

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post