SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How to seal drilled holes in brick mortar joints ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to seal drilled holes in brick mortar joints ? Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
The previous owner of my deck I'm replacing attached the load bearing ledger board the brick facing of the house, which is a big no-no. Now I'm left with a bunch of lead-anchored 9/16 lag screw holes I need to fill. So, what should I fill these holes with, and should I remove the lead anchors before filling them ? I called Quickrete and they said to use Quickrete mortar patch, you mix it with water and apply. Problem is, I need to fill the hole the entire width of the brick mortar joint, which is around 3 to 4 inches. I asked the dude how to fill these deep narrow holes with the stiff mortar, he had no answer. I asked him if Quickrete had any product that could be squeezed out of a tube or something along those lines, he said no.

So, how can I fill these holes, and should I leave the lead anchors in, or dig them out before patching ?

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8657 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
Sika.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Me personally I'd ignore the anchor and use one of the newer two part epoxy patch systems (I use Sampson). Mortar is fine but is a PIA but you can easily make a consistency to fill anything.
If access is not a future issue any good sealant would be fine but lifecycle will not be as good as the brick. something like a one-part urethane sealant will be fine.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I used their self-leveling sealer for expansion joints on my concrete my pool deck. I didn't know they had something for vertical applications. I'll give them a call. Thanks.

Posts: 8657 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by caneau:
Sika.

As a builder I would also reccomend Sikaflex...
https://www.amazon.com/Sikafle...ds=sikaflex+221+gray

And I would remove the bolts if you can. One misconception about brick is that it is impervious to moisture and in fact nothing is further from the truth. Brick actually absorbs moisture quite readily and there should be a gap between the back of the brick and the sheathing of the house to allow moisture to drain. At the base of the wall there should be weep holes to allow for this.
One question I have for you is how you are attaching the new deck now??

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
The short answer, mix up a few handfuls of mortar mix in a small bucket. You should be able to make a "snowball" with it at the right stiffness. Wait 10 minutes. Mix it again, then stuff it into the holes. Use a piece of wood, like a pencil, to jam it in tight. Smear it flush with your (nitrile-gloved) hand.

Filled the entire depth of the hole, can't see it making much of a difference. When mortar is applied to brick, there is usually a gap in the middle; the holes should not affect the structural integrity of the wall.

The long answer? Same, but remove the anchors. In historic preservation there is concern cold temperature will follow the metal into the wall, water vapor will condense inside the wall, and damage will occur. Maybe yes, maybe no in your application. The anchors are probably two-part and the lead would have been forced and expanded into the cavity by the anchor bolt. So they may be recalcitrant and can always be drilled out.

I tried to determine your location, but climate in and around the Wile E. Coyote School of Gunsmithing is indeterminate.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
https://www.lowes.com/pd/QUIKR...for-Concrete/3510420

Don't fool with any of the stuff you have to mix. Just shoot the hole full of this^^^ or similar. Lowes has multiple options in the cement isle.

Any good silicone calk in the appropriate color would be fine as well.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sika.

Yes!

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3626 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sikaflex 1-a. I just shot about 8 miles of the stuff at work. Be sure to have a slicker to seal the edges.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Insert clear or concrete colored silicone caulk then immediately apply dry mortar mix to the caulk. I saw this done by foundation lifters after fixing my brick faced concrete steps. After weathering it looks as if no holes were ever there.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4264 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Pull the shield. If the holes are big enough dry pack with slightly moistened patch. A good mason should know the local product line. Drypack means tamp a little grout at a time with a ram just smaller than the hole.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6312 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
Once the anchors are removed mix cement to a plaster consistency which is wetter then normal. Fill your wifes old pastry bag with the mix and squeeze it in the hole. Level it with your finger.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3862 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
quote:
Sika.

As a builder I would also reccomend Sikaflex...
https://www.amazon.com/Sikafle...ds=sikaflex+221+gray

And I would remove the bolts if you can. One misconception about brick is that it is impervious to moisture and in fact nothing is further from the truth. Brick actually absorbs moisture quite readily and there should be a gap between the back of the brick and the sheathing of the house to allow moisture to drain. At the base of the wall there should be weep holes to allow for this.
One question I have for you is how you are attaching the new deck now??

How am I attaching the new deck to the house ? I'm not. I'm probably going to pour piers and build from those.

Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
The short answer, mix up a few handfuls of mortar mix in a small bucket. You should be able to make a "snowball" with it at the right stiffness. Wait 10 minutes. Mix it again, then stuff it into the holes. Use a piece of wood, like a pencil, to jam it in tight. Smear it flush with your (nitrile-gloved) hand.

Filled the entire depth of the hole, can't see it making much of a difference. When mortar is applied to brick, there is usually a gap in the middle; the holes should not affect the structural integrity of the wall.

The long answer? Same, but remove the anchors. In historic preservation there is concern cold temperature will follow the metal into the wall, water vapor will condense inside the wall, and damage will occur. Maybe yes, maybe no in your application. The anchors are probably two-part and the lead would have been forced and expanded into the cavity by the anchor bolt. So they may be recalcitrant and can always be drilled out.

I tried to determine your location, but climate in and around the Wile E. Coyote School of Gunsmithing is indeterminate.

The Wile E. Coyote School of Gunsmithing is in Southestern VA. Winters are mild, summers are humid, spring and fall are very short.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
How am I attaching the new deck to the house ? I'm not. I'm probably going to pour piers and build from those.

So are yo even going to see the holes when you're done? If not I'd just shoot them full of silicone or butyl and get on with my life.
But the dry mortar trick sounds like it couldn't hurt.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post