SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How long have you known your oldest friend?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How long have you known your oldest friend? Login/Join 
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted
Some things recently made me think about the true friends that are in my life and I realized that I have known one of them for more than forty two years. We are in contact at least once a week or more frequently.

How long have you known a friend that you still have contact with regularly?

Posts: 5734 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Forty years

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
35 years. We still BS on the phone quite a bit.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
27 years, not bad for 32.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
A couple nearly 60 years. I don’t get together often with anyone, and we saw very little for decades when I lived in Whackyland.

Another for about 40 years, although we see each other less now, old age, poor health and distance.

I’m still in touch with a lawyer I worked for in the ‘60’s. I’m still in touch for the only other surviving member of the polka band I worked for in hs and college.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Was at a buddies birthday party last weekend. Me and two buddies from middle school were talking and realized we've been friends for over a quarter century. We still get together a few times a year.

Just hung up the phone with frat brother I've known for 19-20 years.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am 50 years old. I have known my best friend, and been best friends with him, for 45 years now. We meet when my family moved in across the street from him, and have been friends ever since

Posts: 2225 | Location: Lawrenceburg, In | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Longest: 38yrs.

Closest: 33yrs.

And a few in between those two.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
We don't keep up as much as we used to, but about 22 years, 5th grade.
After that, less than 10.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15285 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
38 years. He and his son were just at my daughter's birthday dinner last night. We kayak together and plan on going on an overnight hiking trip with our sons this fall.

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I have contact with a few from high school days, more than 60 years ago, but I don't see them very often--I did visit one in 2011. For a friend I see fairly regularly, one of my Best Friends I met in 1978 and we see each other every couple of months, and e-mail at least once a week. My other Best Friend dates back to 1973--I last saw him in 2014. I also saw a few other friends from 1971 in 2014--they're in SC and I hope survived the hurricane OK (lost way to contact them).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
71 years for me. A couple of gals that I was in elementary school with attend my morning
"coffee klatch"We were both in the same first grade class.

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
About 40 years... but life and geography has affected the frequency of our interaction. When we are able to link up it's like the years between interaction have never happened, but the gap seems to get longer and longer.

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
I've known my best friend 29 years. We talk or text frequently.

My oldest friend goes back 37 years, but we aren't in regular contact.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
26 years.
We went to school together from Jr High on and he now works for me.
He has been a true friend and I am very thankful to have such a person in my life who hasn't given up on me.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gotta put my age in too for reference since some of you have had friendships longer than I've been alive. haha

I'm 33. Longest "regular" friendship is 27 years. He was a grade above me but if you want to count his sister who is still someone I see a few times a year that would probably be 30 years.

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired old fat motor cop
posted Hide Post
Non family
Joe and I go back to third grade
We are both 60 now

" Life is full of choices', Choices have consequences."

Posts: 698 | Location: New England | Registered: October 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Forty years - One of the first people I befriended when my family relocated from New Yorkistan to New Jermany in February 1978, right after the 'Blizzard of 78'!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8865 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
I'm 56. I've known my buddy for 46 years. We get together weekly at a minimum.

He doesn't have may redeeming qualities but he is the one who turned me onto my 228 in 1994.

On the negative side, he talked me out of a brand new MP5 in 1985. And, he won't sell me his unfired M1 carbine.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
40 years, met him at my first Scout meeting playing British Bulldog.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post