SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Planting Pine/Spruce Seedlings
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Planting Pine/Spruce Seedlings Login/Join 
posted
I cleared about 2 acres and will start planting Pine and Spruce seedlings today and my back is hurting already just thinking about it. The Missouri Department of Conservation sells the Pine seedlings for $.16 each and Norway Spruce for $.32 each with free shipping and I have 300 seedlings to plant.
Picked up an old farm disc to pull it with my 4 wheeler and have my dibble bar (red shovel looking thing)and if it ever stops raining I'll get some seedlings in the ground today.
Anyone plant seedlings?

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I planted a dozen around the yard here 18 years ago by jabbing holes in the ground with a rock bar. Two survived. They're probably 25' tall now.

Actually, now that I think about it, 3 survived. One had to be cut down because its roots found our old sewer line and stopped it up. That one was really prosperous compared to the others.

Posts: 26899 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I planted a dozen around the yard here 18 years ago by jabbing holes in the ground with a rock bar. Two survived. They're probably 25' tall now.

Actually, now that I think about it, 3 survived. One had to be cut down because its roots found our old sewer line and stopped it up. That one was really prosperous compared to the others.

I am hoping that 200 survive...the conservation dept. said the area I cleared has good soil for trees..I have about 30 acres but most of it is only good for growing Oak trees and rocks....approximate cleared area:
DJI_0003

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I did it one summer in high school. We went through old clear cuts and fires and replanted. It wasn't too bad of a job for a teenaged back, but I'd hire it out these days.

BTW, you (or more likely the progeny) may well regret planting those pines. They grow like weeds here and are not really good for much. They leave needles and ankle-busting cones everywhere and IMO are just kind of ugly trees. If it were me, I'd try to plant a boat load of fir in there. At some point it'll be marketable and/or useable for firewood. That pine isn't really good for either. The spruce are nice trees though.

Posts: 20097 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I did it one summer in high school. We went through old clear cuts and fires and replanted. It wasn't too bad of a job for a teenaged back, but I'd hire it out these days.

BTW, you (or more likely the progeny) may well regret planting those pines. They grow like weeds here and are not really good for much. They leave needles and ankle-busting cones everywhere and IMO are just kind of ugly trees. If it were me, I'd try to plant a boat load of fir in there. At some point it'll be marketable and/or useable for firewood. That pine isn't really good for either. The spruce are nice trees though.

I'll plant a few of the seedling for landscape specimens but the majority will be sold as cut your own Christmas trees....my plan is to plant 2-300 every year for about 6 years

posted Hide Post
Planted 1500 about 30 years ago. Spruce and pine. If I had it to do over they would be all spruce varieties. Both grow good looking trees and since you are doing Christmas trees I expect they will be fine. For me they are part of fill in old farm land. The Pines grow fine, but heavy snow breaks limbs off. The spruce fold up like an umbrella in heavy snow, so they don’t break. One species can also share diseases, so having a mix is a good thing. Ours are planted about 6-8’ apart, which would be fine for your purpose. If you really want them long term, they should be much closer, like 3-4’. This way, as they grow the limbs are self clearing, not getting very big before breaking off.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris42:
Planted 1500 about 30 years ago. Spruce and pine. If I had it to do over they would be all spruce varieties. Both grow good looking trees and since you are doing Christmas trees I expect they will be fine. For me they are part of fill in old farm land. The Pines grow fine, but heavy snow breaks limbs off. The spruce fold up like an umbrella in heavy snow, so they don’t break. One species can also share diseases, so having a mix is a good thing. Ours are planted about 6-8’ apart, which would be fine for your purpose. If you really want them long term, they should be much closer, like 3-4’. This way, as they grow the limbs are self clearing, not getting very big before breaking off.

I'm probably going to plant all Scotch Pine next year and you have to order/reserve them early because they get sold out quick.
I'm going with a 7x7 grid for planting this year

Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
We planted 15,000 longleaf pine seedlings on 31 acres in January. We used a contract crew from Guatemala to plant them. About 20 of those guys with dibbles planted those trees in 3 hours. Only advice I can give you is plant your rows and spacing wide enough so you can get a mower between them. Your trees will seem to disappear as the grass and weeds grow around them but they will emerge from the grass stage in a year or two. We also left some areas of bare ground for food plots and to benefit the quail and turkey.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
We planted 15,000 longleaf pine seedlings on 31 acres in January. We used a contract crew from Guatemala to plant them. About 20 of those guys with dibbles planted those trees in 3 hours. Only advice I can give you is plant your rows and spacing wide enough so you can get a mower between them. Your trees will seem to disappear as the grass and weeds grow around them but they will emerge from the grass stage in a year or two. We also left some areas of bare ground for food plots and to benefit the quail and turkey.

I've watched several YouTube videos of the Hispanic crews custom planting and those guys don't waste any time that is for sure.
Another thing I noticed was that they didn't seem to dibble a very deep hole and didn't seem to concerned with "J Rooting".
7x7 should be wide enough to get my zero turn between the trees..hope so anyway

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I wish you success in your endeavor into Christmas tree farming. The Norway spruce are kinda pretty and I would think they would sell pretty well. The only pine that I thought made a decent Christmas tree is the Piñon, a single-needle pine with a shorter needle than most pines. Maybe the ones you have can be trimmed up to look nice and sell OK.

I hated tree planting, but then when we ordered in trees we got 20,000 - 30,000 seedlings.

What conifers are native to that part of the country; or are there any?

Posts: 13253 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
Good luck to you! I just planted seedlings from the Conservation Dept too. Not nearly as ambitious though. Ten each of walnut, pecan, hazelnut and pine.

I don't know if I'm a Nut Farmer or a nut, Farmer.

Posts: 832 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
I wish you success in your endeavor into Christmas tree farming. The Norway spruce are kinda pretty and I would think they would sell pretty well. The only pine that I thought made a decent Christmas tree is the Piñon, a single-needle pine with a shorter needle than most pines. Maybe the ones you have can be trimmed up to look nice and sell OK.

I hated tree planting, but then when we ordered in trees we got 20,000 - 30,000 seedlings.

What conifers are native to that part of the country; or are there any?

Shortleaf Pine is only species native to this area. The White Pine seedlings weren't my first choice but they were cheap and I figured my fist year would be a learning curve....probably all Scotch Pine next year.
I know that small tree farms aren't a big money maker but being a farmer does have some advantages come April 15th.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgshooter:
Good luck to you! I just planted seedlings from the Conservation Dept too. Not nearly as ambitious though. Ten each of walnut, pecan, hazelnut and pine.

I don't know if I'm a Nut Farmer or a nut, Farmer.

I'm going to try Pecan down by my creek next year.
The Missouri Department of Conservation does have a very good and affordable seedling offering:

https://mdc6.mdc.mo.gov/Applications/TreeSeedling/

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’ve planted a bunch, up towards 1000 over the Spring. Most of mine have been Red Pine, then some White Pine and Spruce.

Scotch Pine get scraggly as they grow, not the prettiest type. Red Or White Pine age well, more upward when they have others around, as opposed to a single in a field.

For a thick Spruce that’s a fast grower I like the Norway Spruce, tall and long living. Of course match the soil and conditions with the species.

The main thing is to get those roots mostly straight while planting, no ‘J root, where the tree dies a few years later. It’s better to go slow and plant carefully. If one needs a break, put the trees in damp soil, preferably under shade till later.

Posts: 6158 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Don't deer like to munch on the seedlings?

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
When I was in high school I got a batch of Norway Spruce seedlings from the local co-op. They must have been a lot cheaper back then; I remember paying ten bucks for 100 of them.

We planted them completely around my parent's property. Over the years we harvested a number as Christmas trees. When my mom sold the place last year, the property was completely bordered with thirty foot trees. Great privacy barrier by then.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by msfzoe:
Don't deer like to munch on the seedlings?

That is a concern but I don't see them as much on the high ground where I started planting. I have 2 cattle dogs that will bark at the wind and I usually put them inside the shed at night..I'll leave them outside if I get hungry deer.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
When I was in high school I got a batch of Norway Spruce seedlings from the local co-op. They must have been a lot cheaper back then; I remember paying ten bucks for 100 of them.

We planted them completely around my parent's property. Over the years we harvested a number as Christmas trees. When my mom sold the place last year, the property was completely bordered with thirty foot trees. Great privacy barrier by then.

I'm going to plant some of the Norway Spruce around the house but not so much for privacy..nearest neighbor is about 1700 feet from our house and it is pretty much solid Oak trees between us except for the patch I cleared.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
I’ve planted a bunch, up towards 1000 over the Spring. Most of mine have been Red Pine, then some White Pine and Spruce.

Scotch Pine get scraggly as they grow, not the prettiest type. Red Or White Pine age well, more upward when they have others around, as opposed to a single in a field.

For a thick Spruce that’s a fast grower I like the Norway Spruce, tall and long living. Of course match the soil and conditions with the species.

The main thing is to get those roots mostly straight while planting, no ‘J root, where the tree dies a few years later. It’s better to go slow and plant carefully. If one needs a break, put the trees in damp soil, preferably under shade till later.

Barely got started planting today with 25 in the ground but I got my tree layout pretty much done.
The soil is really wet and the dibble bar opens a hole right up but closing it is not as easy...ended up packing around the seedling by hand. We have 1 more day of sun and then 4 more days of rain so I'll be playing in the mud again tomorrow

posted Hide Post
I planted seedlings like that a couple for a couple years.
I think I have about 30 left. My wife mowed over a lot of them and I think one side all died as a farmer sprayed something on them.
I have a pole barn a lot like the one in the pic too.
I hope yours do better than mine and you do not have bagworms.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post