SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tip: use a french press to rehydrate mushrooms
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tip: use a french press to rehydrate mushrooms Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
I just saw a neat tip: use a french press to rehydrate mushrooms. An easy way to keep the 'shrooms submerged. And then to separate the 'shrooms and fluid. You can discard or use the fluid as you choose.

I haven’t tried it yet, but I think that it’s certain to work.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8952 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok. Ill bite. What reason would one have to rehydrate mushrooms?

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
Some mushrooms, especially the more exotic ones, are sold as dehydrated mushrooms. My favorite grocery offers such mushrooms. Amazon offers them too. E.g.:

www.amazon.com/dp/B01G3J80IA/r..._api_i_9JAYDbKQ28SS1

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8952 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
^^^^^^^^
Some mushrooms, especially the more exotic ones, are sold as dehydrated mushrooms. My favorite grocery offers such mushrooms. Amazon offers them too. E.g.:

www.amazon.com/dp/B01G3J80IA/r..._api_i_9JAYDbKQ28SS1

This is the big reason.

A lot of Italian recipes that use mushrooms for flavor but not as the "meat" of the dish call for dehydrated porcini mushrooms. Porcini mushrooms have a richer, deeper flavor than pretty much any other kind of mushroom and add a lot to a dish, but fresh porcinis aren't always available, even in Italy (in the US, they're almost never available), and can be startlingly expensive.

Plus they can just sit in your pantry and be there when you need them. A couple months ago I needed to come up with a sauce for a meat dish on short notice with no time to go to the store and managed a surprisingly good mushroom cream sauce with a few kinds of dried fungi (porcinis, shiitakes, and shredded Chinese black fungus) out of the pantry.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post