SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Passenger side retractable running board fails to deploy 08 Expedition
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Passenger side retractable running board fails to deploy 08 Expedition Login/Join 
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted
Don't feel like getting a dealer ripoff. Any DIY ideas?

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1487 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
retractable running board

do you need it? Can you live without it?

The car is 10 years old. things break and sometimes it's best to just not fix it given the expense / time.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Can you tell if it starts to move and then retracts? if so then you can try a spray lubricant on the linkage to loosen it up.

If not, it can be the door switch, or perhaps the motor power connector.

Some good suggestions here:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/fo...g-board-problem.html

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Try a junkyard.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
-Check power at the drive motor.
-If power at drive motor pull the motor and check motor operation.
-with motor removed manually move running board and check for binding.

Only so many things it can be.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3839 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You didn’t happen to leave the passenger side for open for a long period of time did you?

It happened to my 08 expedition one time. Went into the option selector for the running boards, cycled it down then off. Then after one or two trips reset to auto drop. Got it to work and hasn’t been a problem since

Posts: 1746 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
Im surprised you got 10 years out of it. I hear its common for those motors to burn out. I dont think they cost much to replace. And its not hard.

Posts: 7389 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Did you honk your horn three times when you got underway? Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Get 2 motors, because as soon as you fix the passenger side, the driver side will go out. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Go figure. I've never even heard of retractable running boards until now.

Maybe I need to get out more.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I haven't worked with these, but I imagine that after 10 years of the running board extending and retracting every time you get in or out and people stepping on it, the motor (or one on each end) has gone bad. Luxury gadgets are great until they break and need repair, then the cost puts people off and they don't get repaired.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post