SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ozarks Visit?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ozarks Visit? Login/Join 
in the end karma
always catches up
posted
We are needing to change our plan from visiting Colorado Springs in June because apparently we planned it during the Hill Climb... to many people in one place for me!

So we are considering the Ozarks instead...

Suggestions of what to see and were to stay?

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3692 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
It depends on what you're looking for....
Waterskiing and boating, people watching, restaurants, golf?
Can't beat the Lake of the Ozarks.

Something a little quieter?
Camping, canoeing, fishing?
The Eleven Point or the Current River are nice.... but the Current River will be pretty busy on weekends.
http://www.missouriscenicriver...levenpointriver.html

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24067 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of different experiences possible in "the Ozarks" and it will be difficult to home in on what to see without knowing a little more about what interests you. The whole town of Eureka Springs is interesting. Mountain View offers the Ozark Cultural Center and Blanchard Springs Caverns, plus the nearby White River has excellent boating and fishing opportunities. I'm sure others here can make similar suggestions about other locations.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
I spent a weekend in Eureka Springs, Arkansas last month and found it to be an interesting town. I also called up Nighthawk and Wilson Combat in Berryville and went by their offices. Nighthawk was exceptionally accommodating and gave me a short factory tour.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1887 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
If you're going to lake of the ozarks check out pistols plus gun range. The range is hot as hell and only about 6-10 yards but the cool thing is the library of guns they have. Do not click on their website on google as I just did and it led me to adware for some reason. I think they have about a couple thousand guns on display there.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live at the Lake of the Ozarks and if you are looking for water activities/dining/drinking/shopping then this place can't be beat. I have canoed most of the rivers away from the lake area and if you are wanting peach and quiet with camping and river activities there are a bunch of those in the "Ozarks".
The weekends will be VERY busy for most of the summer but during the week it's not too bad...there are large events planned on many weekends and some of the events make the Lake area crazy busy in areas.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Depending what you are looking for, Branson for the shows, lakes, Trout fishing, river canoeing Lake Taneycomo, Table Rock Lake.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4829 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Family? Kids?

Have you been up along the Eastern shore of Lake MI? After 'Sleeping Bear Dunes' check out Traverse City area then stop on Mackinac Island.

Then hit a few places in the U.P..

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Yeah, "the Ozarks" is a bit confusing. That could be an area from northern Arkansas thru Branson and on up into the Lake of the Ozarks. We have more than enough tourists up here, I hear the Branson area is nice though. Razz

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
We were just there in March. We specifically went to Mansfield, MO to see the Laura Ingles Wilder museum. My wife is a huge fan and so I promised her a visit on the way back from TacCon.

Pretty country, nice museum. If you go, I can highly recommend the Weaver Inn, a B&B in Mansfield.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
For scenery, northern Arkansas is my favorite area of the Ozarks. For activities, Branson is the place. It all depends on what you're looking for.

FYI if you are looking for lake activities, many of the area lakes are very full from the flooding and the water is unseasonably cold right now. My parents have a house on Table Rock, and it's not a great time to be in the water.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5281 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Buffalo River in the Arkansas Ozarks is really a beautiful place:
http://www.cliffhouseinnar.com/

Dawt Mill in Missouri is pretty cool too if you just want some R&R:
http://dawtmill.com/

The Lake of the Ozarks is not a Corps Of Engineer Lake and we are at our normal full pool.
http://www.funlake.com/

One of the largest Poker Runs of the year is coming up at the Lake of the Ozarks on June 22-24....Support Our Troops Poker Run and I am proud to be a long time sponsor and support out Troops:
http://www.lakecharitypokerrun.com/

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
for 6 years I have wanted to visit Branson, Mo
and no one would go with me.

Then a new tv show on a local station came on and after 7 weeks of seeing Branson talent ,
I am glad I stayed home,

but go for the bass fishing

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54604 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MO-Sig
posted Hide Post
One of our favorite places is Big Cedar Lodge in Ridgedale near Branson. It's on spectacular Table Rock Lake and owned by Johnny Morris of Bass Pro Shops. You can rent people's timeshares off eBay or Craigslist and get some amazing deals.

http://www.bigcedar.com

This is what happens when you stop letting kids play dodgeball in school.

Posts: 475 | Location: Fly Over Country | Registered: October 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Lake of the ozarks and table rock are both great travel destinations. Lots of variety in activity.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post