SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Orion in the Alaskan sky
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Orion in the Alaskan sky Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
So, I've been chasing the Northern Lights ever since I've been up here. Working nights, Alaskan weather and solar activity do not make for a good combination of seeing a good show. Even with trips to Talkeetna and Fairbanks, I've yet to see more than, "Green Fuzz" on the horizon.

Tonight Anchorage actually had clear weather, but there's no solar activity, so no Auroras to chase. Well with the fresh snow, clear skies and full moon, I decided to practice my nighttime photography. I've got a lot to learn. Now I know enough about shooting into the sun and getting starburst and lens flare which can be fun to play with. I had no idea that shooting into the moon produced lunar flare. A 747F taking off from Ted Stevens while cool, was not the effect for the skyline shot I was hoping for. But spectacular evening, fresh snow reflecting the full moon, the mountains literally glowed. Hiking around Glen Alps at 0400 was like daylight. Yes, Alaska is the Land of the Midnight Sun, just not this time of year.

But I did get one shot tonight that I'm really proud of, Orion hunting over Flattop Mountain.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Very cool pic. What camera, exposure time, F-stop, etc. did you use?

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:

Nikon D7500, Nikkor 18-300mm 3.5-6.3 zoom lens, f3.5, 20 second exposure, ISO 26,000.

First time I've seriously tried nighttime photography. I've got a lot to learn...

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
This was typical of a lot of the shots I was getting last night. I had no idea lunar flare was a thing. The cool thing about this shot from Goose Bay looking across Kinik Arm is one of the Iditarod musher's kennel was just over on the other side of the road. So I got serenaded by 100 huskies howling at the full moon.

A shot of the moon lighting up the Chugach Range. The snow literally glowed in the moonlight and it was almost like daylight.

Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Think of the moon as a giant sun reflector. Big Grin
Nice nighttime shots.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks cool! Send some of that snow to us here in Cordova!

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Nice!

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice photographs!

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I don’t see no onion...

Wink

Posts: 26902 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Very nice pics!

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2088 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been dipping my toes in night photography as well but have been focusing more on the night sky during the new moon cycle or last quarter after the moon has set for the night. Haven't attempted any scenic shots when the moon has been out but I have shot pictures of just the moon and the exposure and ISO settings have been quite a bit less because of the brightness of the moon.

You would be surprised how much detail a camera can pull out of a dark night sky. Next new moon cycle you should give some of these shots another try but back off on the ISO setting a bit. High ISO settings introduce a lot of noise into the images.

Hopefully this link works but here is a shot I took a month or so ago with my Sony A6000 with a 21mm, F1.4 and 25 second exposure. I post processed the image in Lightroom Classic with some presets that I have but the lens picked up all of the detail and color even though there was no moon in the sky.

Edited to resize image.

Posts: 2486 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
But I did get one shot tonight that I'm really proud of, Orion hunting over Flattop Mountain.

That shot is better than good. It's philosophically inspirational.

It makes one wonder. Nice job.

“When I consider the short duration of my life, swallowed up in an eternity before and after, the little space I fill engulfed in the infinite immensity of spaces whereof I know nothing, and which know nothing of me, I am terrified. The eternal silence of these infinite spaces frightens me.” Blaise Pascal

Posts: 3078 | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
Very cool!

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 420 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
all beautiful guys. Thanks for sharing.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19181 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjp:
Looks cool! Send some of that snow to us here in Cordova!

Surprised you haven't got any yet. I've been thinking about driving over o Valdez for the past couple of weeks. Everytime I'm off the weather forecast calls for snow over there so I haven't made the trip.

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Orion – the BEST constellation!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8945 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:

Nikon D7500, Nikkor 18-300mm 3.5-6.3 zoom lens, f3.5, 20 second exposure, ISO 26,000.

First time I've seriously tried nighttime photography. I've got a lot to learn...

Was the lens at 18mm or something more?

Posts: 9038 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Your linky no workey

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
veiw from my scope Wink

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54633 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Beautiful shot of Orion.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post