SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Larry King and Gregory Sierra RIP
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Larry King and Gregory Sierra RIP Login/Join 
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted
Don’t have a link, I apologize. King was 87, his cause of death wasn’t mentioned. Sierra, who portrayed Detective Chano on ‘Barney Miller’ died of cancer at the age of 83.

Posts: 12178 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
In my 25 years as a cop, I have come to realize that Barney Miller was the single most realistic cop show in the history of television.

For that accomplishment alone, Mr Sierra will be missed.

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2447 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RIP. I also like Sierre in Sanford & Son

Posts: 1568 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Last I heard, King was hospitalized with Covid-19.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29682 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by car541:
In my 25 years as a cop, I have come to realize that Barney Miller was the single most realistic cop show in the history of television.

For that accomplishment alone, Mr Sierra will be missed.

I remember a policeman being interviewed on a talk show back in the late 70s or early 80s. The host asked him which police shows were the most realistic, then he reeled off the names of several dramas, like: Kojak, Police Story, Hill Street Blues, etc. The policeman paused a moment and responded "Barney Miller" and the entire audience burst out laughing. Awesome moment.

Posts: 8610 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was just watching him as Chano on ‘Barney Miller’. Loved that show and the characters in it. 40+ years later his portrayal of the character is still enjoyable and relevant.

I hope people like him realize how much we loved the characters they created.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
I read an article once that mentioned west coast policemen couldn’t identify with ‘Barney Miller’, they thought it was just television. East coast policemen who watched the show would say “Yeah, that sounds like last Tuesday”.

Posts: 12178 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Larry King certainly interesting. King of the softball question.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Larry support repealing the Second Amendment King. I'll just leave it at that.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never understood how people said Barney Miller was the most realistic police tv show. It was a great show but IMHO not the most realistic. That award goes to NYPD Blue or The Wire.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My friend was a detective for almost 30 years now retired. He said the wire was the most realistic to him.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
RIP Chano

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Sierra also played the first Lieutenant in Miami Vice, Lt Lou Rodriguez.

Posts: 6008 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ace31
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
Larry support repealing the Second Amendment King. I'll just leave it at that.

Damn I did not know this. Biting my tongue.

Posts: 2162 | Location: Wherever the voices in my head tell me to go | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post