SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gun question on medical history, how to answer?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun question on medical history, how to answer? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I've never had a physician ask me such a question.

Closest I came to this was when I went for a pre-exam in advance of a colonoscopy in 2013. I filled out all the forms and when I brought it up to the receptionist, she whipped out a digital camera and asked me to stand in front of the wall to the left, so she could take my picture.

Now, I spent 26 years in the medical industry. I was in doctor's offices day, day out for two and a half decades.

I said "You don't need that."

The woman raised her eyebrows and all her co-workers behind her started looking at me. She held the camera in her hand and looked at me, as if waiting for me to recant my horrible statement.

"Why do you need a photograph of me?"

"Well," she said with a wave of her hand, "we take a picture of all new patients."

I leaned forward and very quietly said to her "Ma'am, you don't need a photograph of my face. I'm here for the doctor to examine an entirely different portion of my body."

She said nothing, so I just had to ask. "Do you have many people who come in here, claiming to be someone else so that the doctor will look up their ass?"

She said "You're the first patient to refuse." I told her that's the story of my life. I went and sat back down and waited to be called.

And they don't have a photograph of me in their files.

Posts: 107556 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Closest I came to this was when I went for a pre-exam in advance of a colonoscopy in 2013. I filled out all the forms and when I brought it up to the receptionist, she whipped out a digital camera and asked me to stand in front of the wall to the left, so she could take my picture.

Now, I spent 26 years in the medical industry. I was in doctor's offices day, day out for two and a half decades.

The woman raised her eyebrows and all her co-workers behind her started looking at me. She held the camera in her hand and looked at me, as if waiting for me to recant my horrible statement.

"Well," she said with a wave of her hand, "we take a picture of all new patients."

I leaned forward and very quietly said to her "Ma'am, you don't need a photograph of my face. I'm here for the doctor to examine an entirely different portion of my body."

She said nothing, so I just had to ask. "Do you have many people who come in here, claiming to be someone else so that the doctor will look up their ass?"

She said "You're the first patient to refuse." I told her that's the story of my life. I went and sat back down and waited to be called.

Well, no telling what they took pictures of while you were out Big Grin

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Neither the doctor nor the gas passer acted as if they gave a shit about any of it.

posted Hide Post
quote:
"Gun Ownership - If you have a gun at home, is it properly secured?"

Why? Are you gonna make house calls?

Posts: 1350 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
If I'm asked that question by my physician, that person is no longer my physician. It's outrageous a doctor would even deign to ask such a thing.

My doctor is a three-times champion sporting clays shooter with a freebie gun from Perazzi to show for it.

Posts: 11320 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Skip over it.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:

Smile x 10

Posts: 11320 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Guns and my medical providers:

Doc # 1 notices mine while examining me and asks, "What's that -- a SIG? I have an H&K."

Doc # 2 starts telling me about his P320.

Doc # 3 opens desk drawer and shows me a bulged barrel from a P226. SIG sticker on his car, his daughter works for SIG.

Cardiology nurse notices my pistol under my shirt, tells me not to worry about it, her brother is in the army and carries all the time when he is home.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
Skip over it.
And what do you do when they ask you about the field you left blank? Not all offices would. Most probably would not, but I say with great confidence that some offices would press the issue. What then?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
Skip over it.
And what do you do when they ask you about the field you left blank? Not all offices would. Most probably would not, but I say with great confidence that some offices would press the issue. What then?

I would just inform them that I chose not to answer it. If they persisted I would let them know "I will discuss it with the doctor. Thank you." Then if the doctor persisted that would be the time for the "none of your business" or question what that has to do with their diagnosis and treatment of you, etc.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6723 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
I went in yesterday for my semi-annual exam. Peeled off my shirt, disclosing my pistol to the doctor and nurse. They both have seen it before and could care less.

Was at a local hospital yesterday and they have a sign on the door that prohibits guns on premises.

Left it in the car. But will not be going back there any time soon. Found a dermitologist with a private practice instead. And I will carry when I visit them (appointment in March!!!!!)

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I’ve been asked once. I opted to frown and respond “guns are scary” which was met with an approving chuckle and they noted wherever they noted. It wasn’t a lie, I have a healthy respect and fear of the capability of the device. It seemed like the way to answer “none of your fucking business” without getting it annotated in the affirmative, should that ever be a concern.

Posts: 17120 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't been asked by a Dr. But I'd opt for the NA category if asked. Only choice that gives them zero information IMO. If asked to clarify or confirm I'd tell them I don't have any guns because as a number of you have pointed out it's really none of their business.

Posts: 1962 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I leave any non medical questions blank. They asked verbally once and said it was mostly safe storage and child related. I told them I didn't have any kids so they had nothing to worry about.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
“Boundary violation” is a good answer.

Posts: 517 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I believe the official answer is: Nunya.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
Under Va. law, I can carry in some places that other CCW holders can't. None of the doctors, or nurses, which I have seen have seen in "restricted" areas, cared.

I have had some ask me about training and features of different pistols. One said he was prior military and he has seen plenty of guns, they don't bother him. I have had some thank me for my service.

From my experiences, I would say most don't care.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Skipping it works for me. If they want to press the issue, I can say "Not relevant to my health", verbally. Or I just check "No", depending on how I feel, that day.
I like to mix it up. Keeps them guessing and fucks up their data.

I put whacko liberal books in my Amazon cart, sometimes, for the same reason. It messes up their profile of me and my tendencies.

YMMV.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Of course we all know it's none of their business. If you can skip it then do so but if they need an answer then just answer yes. "Properly" is the operative word here. For a responsible adult, any firearm is "properly" secured even when it is not secured at all.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dusty3030:
Leave them blank.

It's none of their business and they can't deny service to you if you don't answer it.

this is my approach also

MDs treat people every day with minimal info

---------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post