SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gun question on medical history, how to answer?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun question on medical history, how to answer? Login/Join 
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted
As I suspect most know, Obamacare encourages insurers to promote an annual "wellness exam" for their insureds. So I am seeking a physician so as to take advantage of the financial incentives offered by my insurer. I last consulted with a physician over 20 years ago, and I am finding that much has changed while I haven't been paying attention.

The new patient medical history form, the structure of which is also apparently mandated by Obamacare, has a question in the "personal safety" section, to wit: "Gun Ownership - If you have a gun at home, is it properly secured?" Multiple choice answers are Yes/No/Not Applicable. Nowhere is "properly secured" defined.

Obviously, a bullshit question, founded on invalid assumptions, and politically-charged opinion. I intend to write in, "decline to answer," and explain face-to-face if it comes up, but I am not exactly eager to engage with a physician on the wrong foot, not that I'm losing a lot of sleep over it. I am also quite willing to answer a hypothetical question with the hypothetical answer of "Yes," but that just moves whatever assumptions somewhat might make to a different level.

Who else has encountered this situation? How did you answer? Was it questioned? How did it go?

Posts: 6398 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Needs additional answer - None of your fucking business.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

^^ THIS!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I've never seen the question on any of the forms I've had to fill out. Nor have I ever had a doctor ask the question.

I'm curious how this is answered by others here.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

^^ THIS!

RMD

Yup....the only answer!

PS .... "properly secured" is not an acceptable choice either.....fuck them! Mad

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Bunch of horse shit, but you already knew that. At our first visit with our daughters MD they pulled the same thing. Are there any firearms in there house, the nurse asks? I said “you better believe it, I’m a firearms dealer!” That got kind of a blank look. The MD turned out to be great though, no worries.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6996 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Leave them blank.

It's none of their business and they can't deny service to you if you don't answer it.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
I’ve only seen the question once, on a hospital form. I answered NO. I may have bought 1 or 2 and forgot about it.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
If I'm asked that question by my physician, that person is no longer my physician. It's outrageous a doctor would even deign to ask such a thing.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dusty3030:
Leave them blank.

I agree. No need to answer it. I doubt it is part of your medical record.

I'm an administrator with one of the largest hospital systems in the South. No where in our EMR system is there a place for such info.

Just leave it blank.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6705 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Leave them blank.

It's none of their business and they can't deny service to you if you don't answer it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is the best answer. I would not do anything to call attention to yourself. I do not care about my physician and his politics as long as they are not imposed on me.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I think you just pass over that question. I bet you won't hear any more about it.

I also think you are giving this far more thought than it merits.

I get it, some busy-body doctors, and maybe politicians, think this is a public health issue, but it really isn't. However, you aren't going to cause any revisions to any forms by making an issue of it or writing some biting social criticism on the form. If the doctor asks, tell him you aren't answering and why.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
This BS started during Clinton admin when the Surgeon General decided guns were a public health issue. I always ignored the question. Florida even has a law that prohibits medical professionals from making care decisions on the basis of firearm use.

The question is relevant sometimes in mental health matters but nowhere else.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I'd just leave it blank, they won't do anything like toss you out, the other day started with a new foot doctor to remove an ingrown toe nail, the second question asked for my SSN, I left it blank, nobody said anything.

Nothing about guns and found he's a Trump supporter, then again he'd numbed my toe and had sharp scissors in his hand so I wasn't going to start any issues at that point lol

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
"None of your GODDAMNED BUSINESS"

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
I always put N/A; because that information is not applicable to my medical care. It ain’t lyin’, and it ain’t sayin’ shit.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Total opposite in my case. I just wrote this thread about my Primary Care Physician visit a week or two ago....It would be great if you lived close by here in South Florida, he's a great Doc!

>>>LINK<<<< My Doctors view on handguns

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
About two months as I lay writhing in pain in the ER due to kidney stones, the young nurse/attendant/whatever comes in (this is only 2 or 3 minutes after they take me back - so I'm still in a lot of pain) and asks if I have any guns in the house and if I feel suicidal. I didn't feel like fighting it at that exact moment. I wanted my morphine Big Grin

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
The nurse during my last physical included the question, are there any guns in the home? I answered no. My wife had two in the waiting room and the rest were in the safe. There were none out in the home.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Fill out the form anyway you chose. You're not under oath.

The first time I saw that question on a form, I left it blank. The no firearms sign on the front door was another clue. I was meeting a new doctor for the first time.

When the doctor introduced himself, I said let's cut to the chase. Where do you stand on the 2nd Amendment? He laughed and revealed the GLOCK 19 under his sweater. Then he said he's sent all of his reception staff to GUNSITE for training and purchased them pistols. They all carried in the office. He asked what I carry. Nice guy just caught up in the Obama crap.

All three of my doctors are firearms enthusiasts.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post