SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gyoza!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gyoza! Login/Join 
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted
We whipped up another batch of gyoza on Saturday for our annual block party. It was delicious!

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Yum... We made sure to have gyoza with every dinner that we had in Japan

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
What is gyoza?

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by msfzoe:
What is gyoza?

Pure deliciousness. Go to a Japanese Restaurant and order it, you won't be sorry. A fried dumpling with meat and veggies.

Ate it all the time when we lived in Japan and still order it every time we eat Japanese food.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is gyoza?

Potstickers basically

http://www.thekitchn.com/whats...om-the-kitchn-215959

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Every time I get Teriyaki I make sure to get gyoza -- so damn good.

Posts: 5071 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Yup; dumplings - usually a thinner wrapper than potstickers.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBTRS:
quote:
What is gyoza?

Pure deliciousness. Go to a Japanese Restaurant and order it, you won't be sorry. A fried dumpling with meat and veggies.

Ate it all the time when we lived in Japan and still order it every time we eat Japanese food.

Yum! I used to get the cheese gyoza all the time when I was stationed in Japan. I miss it to this day and it's been 20 years now.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of porterdog
posted Hide Post
I am crazy for them. The place I get them serves a thin brown dipping sauce alongside; totally makes the experience.

Is your government serving you?

Posts: 1271 | Location: Detroit (Rock City!) | Registered: September 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Potstickers, dumplings, gyozo, shumai, etc, many variations are popular all over Asia.

Din Tai Fung is a restaurant chain specializing in Dumplings that's based in Taipei with US locations . It's pretty great.

I went to a small independent dumpling shop outside of Hsinchu where three generations of a family were making them and running the show. Dad and daughter were doing final assembly in a corner of the dining room, grandma was cooking, and mom was the server, cashier, etc, or some combination like that. Fantastic.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is gyoza?

Japanese Pierogies

Posts: 33777 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last time I was in Japan I went to a Korean restaurant (I know, I know, but bear with me).

I had the most delicious gyoza concoction. It was kimchi gyoza and I still crave it almost 2 years later.

I've never seen it elsewhere and I'm getting to the point of trying to make it myself.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks good, I over did it with those things and similar things during the 6 years I lived in Asia. Hard to even look at them any more.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:
Last time I was in Japan I went to a Korean restaurant (I know, I know, but bear with me).

I had the most delicious gyoza concoction. It was kimchi gyoza and I still crave it almost 2 years later.

I've never seen it elsewhere and I'm getting to the point of trying to make it myself.

Do it. Gyoza is one of the foods that I defer to the manufacturers and restraunts but with practice and diligence you can make something delicious if not identical. Steamed gyoza and ramen noodles is a good 'drunk snack'.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Gyoza is similar to pot stickers but not made the same, so they taste different. In my opinion Gyoza are much better than pot stickers.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
We also make large batches of gyoza from time to time. We normally pan fry the bottoms in about 2 TBS oil for a couple of minutes, dump in a little water, cover the pan and steam them 8-10 minutes until they're cooked the rest of the way. They turn out browned and crispy on the bottom with the tops softer. Ours have quite a bit of garlic in them since we can't find nira (garlic chives) in Alabama. Now that I saw the picture, I think we'll be making some this weekend.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
Okinawa - 1st Gyoza and they were crispy -
Hard to find them served this way in the US. We always ask for extra crispy but they are always a little soft but so tasty.

Can we list some of the favorite home made recipes.

Posts: 493 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
white whine ? or red?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54608 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
white whine ? or red?

Good beverage companions for Gyoza include Japanese beer (Asahi, Sapporo, etc.) and/or sake.

Japan can be a difficult place to eat for those who don't like fish, so on business trips to Japan, I would live on Gyoza and Kushikatsu/Donkatsu.

Posts: 15025 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post