SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone ever use Dell Outlet? UPDATE: made a purchase
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone ever use Dell Outlet? UPDATE: made a purchase Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I used to work for Dell. Best job/employer I ever had.

When I worked there, the Outlet store essentially sold product that had been returned since Dell had a "no questions asked unconditional return" policy. Each unit was tested. If the unit had not been powered up then it was sold as "like new". If however, the unit had been powered up then we could no longer sell it as like new and even if no issues were discovered had to be sold as "refurbished". When you get a refurbished unit it has been tested and refurbished to industry standards (not my expertise so I don't know what that is). Dell is very big on adhering to industry standards so they will not be going off on their own path. When I was there over 80% of returned products had no needed repairs. So...you would normally get a unit that, except for industry jargon, would be a new computer. No way to tell however.

T-Boy

Posts: 499 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: September 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snidera:
All the usual caveats about refurbs - you're trading warranty for cheaper price.
I have no information about the Dell outlet, but I do know that with Apple, if you buy a refurb from the company (Apple), you get a unit that is indistinguishable from new retail, in every respect, including warranty.

I'm not trying to convince OP to go Apple instead of Dell, I'm stating that buying a refurb direct from whichever manufacturer originally made the unit, is probably 100% as safe as buying new retail, and getting a cost saving.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30664 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
With those specs is build it rather than buy it and source exactly what I wanted right down to the case.

I've bought several computers from the Dell Outlet, and had good success, but those machines were more workstations rather than the custom dig you're looking for.

I just priced build vs buy. It was exact same cost. I7-7th gen is $325, case power supply and fan is another hundred, graphics and sound cards 200. Mother board $120. 16gb ram $150. All said, $1,000 with OS.

I bought brand new Dell with almost same specs for $1,100. Will be delivered to my door tomorrow ready to go with one year warranty. It's only cheaper to build if using older or mid tier stuff. For $100 extra I save 3-4 hours and get in home service for a year. I decided my time was more valuable.

PS, mine was new XPS, not outlet buy.

I7-7700, win 10, 1tb HD with 16gb SSD thingy to speed it up, 4 gb vid card, 16gb ram expandable to 64. Will reuse my sound card or use integrated card.

Very fair price in my mind.
Never suggested it was cheaper. When someone wants a very custom build, like the Op, I think building is often times a better option to get exactly what you want without having to make compromises.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Dell Outlet computers have the same warranty as Dell's new computers.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
All I buy for PC's anymore comes from Dell Outlet. Scored a couple of Win Pro 10 machines with SSD's for about $600 each. Bought my last two monitors for like $75 each.

Couldn't tell any of it from new.

Posts: 11222 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T-Boy:
I used to work for Dell. Best job/employer I ever had.
When I worked there, the Outlet store essentially sold product that had been returned since Dell had a "no questions asked unconditional return" policy. Each unit was tested. If the unit had not been powered up then it was sold as "like new". If however, the unit had been powered up then we could no longer sell it as like new and even if no issues were discovered had to be sold as "refurbished". When you get a refurbished unit it has been tested and refurbished to industry standards (not my expertise so I don't know what that is). Dell is very big on adhering to industry standards so they will not be going off on their own path. When I was there over 80% of returned products had no needed repairs. So...you would normally get a unit that, except for industry jargon, would be a new computer. No way to tell however.

Did you work at DFO when it was a real store located on Burnet Road? We started off buying Microsoft mice by the 55 gallon drum from DFO. We moved up to buying Toshiba memory by the pallet. In '98 alone we spent over $2.5M there. What a great place indeed.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2191 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
Yes. Have purchased from the DFO for many years. It is gtg.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone! The current rig is working, just really slow. About 2 months ago I saw my perfect computer at Dell Outlet, wish I had got it! Inventory changes quick so I will just keep looking until I see exactly what I want and not hesitate.

I look at the Alienware brand mainly because they tend to have options with higher memory and better graphics cards.

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I've had a couple of Dell refurbs over the years and had no problems. Actually, I've had refurbs from Acer, Samsung, Dell, and HP, and none of them had any issues until they were up there in age, at about the time any PC starts having issues due to age. At that point they were so out of date CPU and graphics wise, they needed to go anyway. I do have one PC that just refuses to die. My first Laptop, a Refurbed Acer, is 21 years old and even though the battery is long gone, the PC itself works great! The thing is a tank, with a big hunk of steel plate on the bottom for a heat sink. with a 12" screen, it weighs more than a 17" new gaming PC does.

Posts: 214 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I just made my first purchase from Dell Outlet. Here is what I ended up with.

$1499
Refurbished Alienware Aurora R6
Windows 10 Pro
i7-7700k Processor
1TB Sata
256GB SSD (might add a second one later on)
32GB Memory (2x16GB) (probably add another 16GB)
Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I just ordered new Dell, but I am sending it back as I thought mine came with a I7-7700k, came with the I7-7700k. Took many calls to tech support and sales to figure out which it was supposed to have and if I made a mistake or they did.

It was due to conflicting info on the compare feature and the specs. Their XPS 8920 and 8920 SE both say upto 4.2ghz. It should say either 3.6 and 4.2ghz for base or it should say 4.2 and 4.5 for boost.

I am instead going to place a new order from the outlet, spend $70 more and get double the HD, 6GB GPU instead of 4, and extra 8 RAM for 24GB instead.

Thanks for the timely thread guys!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I just ordered new Dell, but I am sending it back as I thought mine came with a I7-7700k, came with the I7-7700k. Took many calls to tech support and sales to figure out which it was supposed to have and if I made a mistake or they did.

It was due to conflicting info on the compare feature and the specs. Their XPS 8920 and 8920 SE both say upto 4.2ghz. It should say either 3.6 and 4.2ghz for base or it should say 4.2 and 4.5 for boost.

I am instead going to place a new order from the outlet, spend $70 more and get double the HD, 6GB GPU instead of 4, and extra 8 RAM for 24GB instead.

Thanks for the timely thread guys!

Hmm, the website did say 4.5 when I purchased, but my itemized receipt says 4.2. I am assuming 4.2 is base and 4.5 is the boost? Below is the exact text on the receipt.

MOD,PRC,KBL,I7-7700K,4.2G,91W

EDIT: looked at another computer and says UP TO 4.5. I think I am good.