SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dinner Tries to escape (photo)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dinner Tries to escape (photo) Login/Join 
Frog in boiling water
posted Hide Post
Had two octopus legs for an appetizer with dinner last night. It was excellent they served it with guacamole and a slightly spicy sauce.

Posts: 429 | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My memories of calamari (octopus or squid?) was having it in Sicily when I was in the US Navy.

Looked like onion rings, chewed like rubber bands.

Saw a woman cleaning octopus in Naples, Italy. On a rock, in the ocean water. Beating the crap out of it (literally) with a stone. Turn it inside out, beat on it some more.

Like liver, not on my “most wanted” list of things I like to eat.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love Calamari, but that is the only way I have had it. Thought it was cool at the last place I had it, some of them were complete little octopi.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Originally posted by George43:
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
... I've always wondered who the first person was who, upon seeing a lobster, thought to himself, "Hey, that looks good enough to eat!"
Which begs the question, who was the first person to dive down, cut his hands clawing an oyster off of a reef, surfaced cut himself more opening the shell and said I will eat this piece of snot raw, and then said "um um good"?
On both counts, there was an older and younger sibling involved...

Ask me how I know.
And undoubtedly a kid named "Mikey" present. Big Grin

On a side note, there's a SPECTACULAR, authentic Peruvian restaurant in the Galleria area of Houston...Latin Bites. Their Ceviche in leche de tigre, to include octopus and squid, is some of the best I've EVER had. I haven't been there in a while, so I don't know if that was just something seasonal or on the regular menu.

Now I'm hungry...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like it's getting ready to charge!! Where was your protection? Smile

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I couldnt eat it. Factly, Id probably wheel cart that whole electric range down the block and park it by a strangers driveway.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16694 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
For many decades they viewed the lobster to be as appealing as a big roach. Would only grind them up and scatter the bits in the fields to get the crops to grow.
They were fed to the prisoners of Alcatraz.

Posts: 3920 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
That’s a great photo! I love squid, octopus, lobster and all other things seafood. I am 2nd gen American though and it is what I was raised on.

My adult children have no interest in such cuisine.

Posts: 2583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:...
And undoubtedly a kid named "Mikey" present. Big Grin...

Being that it is my name, I was most certainly present, and all my brothers and sisters hated me because I was an only child...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
They were fed to the prisoners of Alcatraz.
Wrong coast. There are no lobsters out west.

Posts: 2660 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post