SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dinner Tries to escape (photo)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dinner Tries to escape (photo) Login/Join 
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted

Saw the octopus in the store and had to buy it to play with Smile It did get eaten Smile

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Shit that people should not eat for $1000 Alex.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Ummm. Lost my appetite. Maybe some cereal will be ok.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
As much as it freaked me out, very clever. Wink There’d be six holes in the range if I saw that.....

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5749 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
On a related note, I've always wondered who the first person was who, upon seeing a lobster, thought to himself, "Hey, that looks good enough to eat!"

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
On a related note, I've always wondered who the first person was who, upon seeing a lobster, thought to himself, "Hey, that looks good enough to eat!"

Same guy that said "Hey, let's eat the next thing that comes out of the chickens butt"

Posts: 767 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
For many decades they viewed the lobster to be as appealing as a big roach. Would only grind them up and scatter the bits in the fields to get the crops to grow.

Posts: 9140 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Eek

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1680 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
How do you prepare an octopus for dinner?

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11269 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I Korea they make octopus jerky.
Not too bad.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
quote:

Which begs the question, who was the first person to dive down, cut his hands clawing an oyster off of a reef, surfaced cut himself more opening the shell and said I will eat this piece of snot raw, and then said "um um good"?

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I do not each fish or other seafood. Several years back a friend married a Korean woman, and her family owned a small chain of Korean restaurants. Naturally they catered the wedding.

At the reception they had a large spread of food. Half of those in attendance were of Korean descent (many of whom didn't speak English), while the other half were American. They had food that covered both ends of the spectrum. So there I am looking at the Octopus when my friend walks up and tells me I should try it. He says "tastes like chicken".

I've been told this several times before, and it's never been true. I try it. He was right. It actually did taste similar to chicken, but there were differences.

First, he told me what it cost, and chicken is much more reasonably priced. Second, it looked unappealing. All of those suckers weren't doing it for me. Finally, it chewed more like a leather wallet than chicken itself. My verdict: I'll just eat chicken.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
decades ago I was stuck in LA for 3 weeks straight. Managed to eat most meals with various members of Japanese community, and came to have favorites in that type of food chain preparation. A couple times was treated (no, really) to the unexpected delights of picked octopus, as well as I believe at this point, 'raw' octopus....although memory may be in error.

In any case the big fun trick was to get just the right size piece in sideways with tentacles to fill the smiling mouth with the suckers prominently in place of the normal 'smiley teeth view'. There was a host of sea creatures/methods of preparation I in fact did not care for, yet I survived with some good food memories.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

An eight armed dinner jacket and apertifs?

Posts: 17136 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
In hindsight, that person was a genius. I've had a couple of trips up to PHPaul's neck of the country where lots of them got eaten.

quote:

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:

So there I am looking at the Octopus when my friend walks up and tells me I should try it. He says "tastes like chicken".

I've been told this several times before, and it's never been true. I try it. He was right. It actually did taste similar to chicken, but there were differences.

First, he told me what it cost, and chicken is much more reasonably priced. Second, it looked unappealing. All of those suckers weren't doing it for me. Finally, it chewed more like a leather wallet than chicken itself. My verdict: I'll just eat chicken.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
I have had octopus both raw and cooked. It is a little chewy raw, but it's good both ways. Same for squid.

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7210 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

Boiled, grilled or fried. My favorite is served as a salad.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1929 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by George43:
quote:
... I've always wondered who the first person was who, upon seeing a lobster, thought to himself, "Hey, that looks good enough to eat!"

Which begs the question, who was the first person to dive down, cut his hands clawing an oyster off of a reef, surfaced cut himself more opening the shell and said I will eat this piece of snot raw, and then said "um um good"?

On both counts, there was an older and younger sibling involved...

Ask me how I know.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43865 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
For many decades they viewed the lobster to be as appealing as a big roach. Would only grind them up and scatter the bits in the fields to get the crops to grow.
That would still be my approach. I only eat seafood that had fins.

a1abdj, I did try octopus when I was in Greece. It was like eating an art gum eraser. (I guess it hadn't been flung aganst the sidewalk enough times.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post