SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Lingenfelter Corvette
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lingenfelter Corvette Login/Join 
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted
A friend of mine told me last fall he was going to sell a 1998 Lingenfelter supercharged Corvette he had. It has been bugging me all winter that I should have a new toy and this might scratch the itch. I can't find much info on this year Vette with this supercharger package.
The car is a 1998 convertible, silver, with about 35000 miles. He is asking $19,500.
You Vette experts out there, Whats this car worth, and is it worth buying?

Posts: 4625 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rock Paper
Scissors
Lizard Spock
Picture of James in Denver
posted Hide Post
I don't know much about vette's, had one (C4) and it was ok.

That said, based on the video from Flemmings, I'd say go-for-it at 19,500.

Lot of car for the money and it sounds like Lingenfelter does it right.

Again, I don't know vettes, but i'd love a test drive if you buy it LOL! Smile

James in Denver

----------------------------
"Voldemorte himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!"
Book 6 - Ch 23

Posts: 4484 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
There are only two companies I trust to modify corvettes, Lingenfelter is one of them.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lingenfelter

I think it's a little on the high side, only because there are no bluebooks listings for "Lingenfelter" This only has value to Lingenfelter fans the ordinary vette buyer wouldn't know or care about Lingenfelter. The fanatic Yvette buyer certainly would. It's like the Long Is Baldwin-Motion of the Muscle Car era... what they would be worth today with low mileage!
That said I am sure he will still sell it at that price, regardless.
If you like the car grab it, it's not unreasonable

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8353 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
There are only two companies I trust to modify corvettes, Lingenfelter is one of them.

Curious who the other one is.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Callaway, probably.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
A true Lingenfelter with low mileage for $19.5k is a good deal.

I'm gonna disagree with downtownv on this one though, I think anybody even doing casual research into the corvette world is going to come across lingenfelter at some point or another. It's not really like your average aftermarket modified car with god knows who that did god knows what to it. Lingenfelter is to corvettes as renntech or kleemann is to Mercedes/AMG or probably more accurate, Dinan is to BMW.

Being a 98, it's the 2nd year of that body style so I'd still have a nice PPI done to look for any issues. Chances are though, there wouldn't be any.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Lingenfelter is highly regarded in the Corvette community.

While the car itself is quite dated, the entire C5 line was outdated when it came out, the car is still very fast.

I would go for it at that price if everything checked out mechanically. How are the clutch, trans and rear tires? The base C5 wasn't built for Lingenfelter type power. The C5 has a plethora of problems: electrical gremlins, rattling interior, HUD breaking, steering column locking.

There are a lot of companies without the huge Lingenfelter name that also modify Corvettes that are beasts: East Coast Supercharging, Texas Speed Performance, England Green, LG Motorsports.

It's no mystery on how to make the Corvette go fast, it's just a SBC and guys have been doing it for many years.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/covYZ9YxmXA" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO

What a travesty that that 'Vette is an automatic.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
LS1 motors love boost. I just finished an A&A supercharger on a c5 and it made a ton of power on the stock motor. The only thing we upgraded was the clutch to a twin disc.

I think lingenfelter and Callaway cars have a small, specific market. I wouldn't buy one because I don't like how they look, but the people that like the brands spend big money on them. If your goal is a blown c5, you couldnt do it cheaper buying a regular c5 and adding the blower, so this seems like a good deal regardless, although the supercharger is likely the age of the car too.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Callaway, probably.

Bingo.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I should add, this Vette is a auto. It has some special torque converter, can't remember who's. It's supposed to allow for the additional HP.

Posts: 4625 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
At one point G G Liddy had a Lingenfelter Vette.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
LS1 motors love boost. I just finished an A&A supercharger on a c5 and it made a ton of power on the stock motor. The only thing we upgraded was the clutch to a twin disc.

I think lingenfelter and Callaway cars have a small, specific market. I wouldn't buy one because I don't like how they look, but the people that like the brands spend big money on them. If your goal is a blown c5, you couldnt do it cheaper buying a regular c5 and adding the blower, so this seems like a good deal regardless, although the supercharger is likely the age of the car too.

cmr076,
When you say you don't like how they look, what do you mean? From the video above and this pic I found, I thought they mostly hid the modifications?

I would have to agree that it sounds like a good price if it's what you are looking for. Is it an investment (you could take it out to Barrett-Jackson or put it on one of the the online auction sites). Or is it a weekend driver? If it's a casual weekend cruiser, I'd probably rather have one that's a little newer and basically stock.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24108 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
quote:

Callaway

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Corvette from Lingenfelter or Callaway. In fact I just purchased my 5th Corvette , a 2012 Callaway convertible. Awesome. With most of us Corvette nuts condition trumps all else, so if it passes the condition test, jump on it. Big Grin

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2762 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They have a cult following. While they're not as fast as the newer ones, it's still going to be a lot of fun and I don't think the car will lose any value the entire time you own it. If you like it, go for it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
If you don't take it... I will...

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
I should add, this Vette is a auto. It has some special torque converter, can't remember who's. It's supposed to allow for the additional HP.

Won't necessarily gain any horsepower, but it helps the trans hold the additional horsepower on hard launches without puking its guts everywhere. It'll also allow you to launch at higher RPMs (stall speed, foot full down on brakes then push the throttle and pop the brake like a clutch) for better 60 foot times at the strip.

pretty standard modification in those automatic vettes when you start adding power. The trans itself is fairly solid but the TC is always a weak link.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post