Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Generators Login/Join 
Picture of 9mmnut
posted
Anyone have experience with The ones Harbor Freight sells. I am looking at the Predator 8750/7000 model. My present one is a Rigid about the same size but is not electric start. Getting to old for pull start on the 360cc engine. Guess I will sell the Rigid.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I've thought about buying the Harbor freight one. I lose power so infrequently that I figured for the money combined with the fact I'd only use it once a year for a day or two max it was worth the risk.

If I had any chance of needing one I don't think I'd buy one. I don't trust their stuff in general. I usually consider things I buy there single use items and am happy if the last through task or project.

I'd love to hear from someone who has bought one and really ran it hard for extended periods and/or someone who has had one for years.

Other than longevity, my next biggest concern is voltage regulation. Good AVR in generators is a major thing that separates the expensive from cheap ones.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
What is the price? I am pretty skeptical of stuff from them that would be critical in an emergency.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19173 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can you get a kit to make yours electric start? Maybe a cordless drill on the recoil starter?

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I got a similar big yellow one on clearance at Costco for around $400. Powers only gone out one time for more than a minute in the few years since. Didn't even get to hook it up!

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
I got a similar big yellow one on clearance at Costco for around $400. Powers only gone out one time for more than a minute in the few years since. Didn't even get to hook it up!

I sold, serviced, and installed automatic standby generators for years. The joke always was they were an insurance policy guaranteeing you never actually need a generator. I go every year and change their oil. I'd ask them if they've got to use it yet. Most of the time the answer was no or we lost power for twenty minutes once or twice. If you want to make your utility provider more reliable, buy a generator.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Have a craftsman 5600 that must be 10 years old. I've never had a problem. I started it once or twice a year, change oil occasionally and make sure to use fuel stabilizer. Adding fresh degas helps.
Couple of things. Forget the idea of an extension code to power anything. Mine powers the entire house. There's a physical plate in the breaker box to shut the house off from the grid. There's a big outside plug for the generator. One tank will last about 10 hours and I have two largish gas tanks. I chain the generator to the foundation and have a pistol ready to grab. Last, we shut down at bedtime.
We have used it 4-5 times, the longest being a four day ice storm.its paid for itself.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
I checked to see about converting to electric start but was told not possible. I see that the same generator is now being offered with electric start so I will check again. At most should be able to switch complete engines.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought one the spring after Hurricane Isaac.

followed the break in procedure to the species

Its only been fed real gas

starts basically 1-2 pulls everytime.

Ive had to use it about a dozen times since I got it, not exactly fuel efficient, but thats not why I got it. Its large enough to run everything I need it to in the house, with power left over

For the sub-$500 I got it on sale for, its flawless operation so far, the only complaint I can have for it is its a bit loud.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RaiseHal
posted Hide Post
If you want to make your utility provider more reliable, buy a generator.

Ain't that the truth. Our power was going out a lot so the last time it went out I headed to Sprall-Mart and they had a smoking deal on a small Honda generator. By the time I got home the power was on and hasn't gone out again for years. So I've a new, old stock generator gathering dust in my garage.

But who's complaining?

It's a shame that youth is wasted on the young --- Mark Twain

Anyone who is not a liberal by age 20 has no heart; anyone who is not a conservative by age 40 has no brain---Winston Churchill

Posts: 4650 | Location: The Free State of Georgia | Registered: August 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post