SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I bought another Knipex pliers
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I bought another Knipex pliers Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
This one, a few days ago:

KNIPEX Cobra Water Pump Pliers
www.amazon.com/dp/B005EXOKKE/r...ZEDGB3VBJAQFQMQN1P2F

A small (5-inch) pliers with a large span. Larger sizes available too. Nice box-joint design with good mechanical advantage. Large serrations in the middle, fine serrations at its tip. I have it in my kitchen where I’ve found it handy for various tasks, such as opening stubborn screw-on bottle caps.

I already had 5” and 6” KNIPEX Pliers Wrenches. The 5” replaced a 6” crescent wrench and the 6” replaced an 8” crescent wrench.

Great design, construction, and material.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Great, just be careful about lending them out, b/c you aren't likely to see them again.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one too. Incredibly handy little tool!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a couple. Fantastic.

Posts: 7346 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used a similar one borrowed from a coworker.

His were the Alligator version. Great tools!

I read somewhere that the cobra are preferred since you can simply press the hinge button to change the jaw size. The alligator need to be opened wide to adjust.

--Tom
The right of self preservation, in turn, was understood as the right to defend oneself against attacks by lawless individuals, or, if absolutely necessary, to resist and throw off a tyrannical government.

Posts: 1506 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I have those in a few sizes.
Most likely to be used daily hand tools are in my tool cart that I set up on the job.
I also use a work station cart that has a few tools on it at all times as I use them the most and the 5" set and the small Knipex flush cut pliers are the only ones that stay with it permanently.

Must have tool for removing Volvo electrical connectors.
I used to use heater hose pliers for that but getting those was a game changer.
Makes short work on stripped out button head screws or small bolts too.
Either removes it or breaks it off.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been eyeballing a pair like this one for auto hose clamps.

Spring Hose Clamp Pliers With retainer | Knipex
https://www.knipex.com/product...v=9472&sku=8551250AF

--Tom
The right of self preservation, in turn, was understood as the right to defend oneself against attacks by lawless individuals, or, if absolutely necessary, to resist and throw off a tyrannical government.

Posts: 1506 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I have a couple pairs, great tools!

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of the larger ones. Love them. They, plus my Klein made-in-USA needlenose pliers, get a LOT of use at work.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Knipex makes outstanding tools.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I have a little 5 inch side cutter from them for guitar strings. It is an excellent tool.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
You just cost me 55.00 for a Knipex 7122200. Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Just in case you haven't spent enough yet and you work with Ty-raps much, take a look at these.
Ty-raps, cut off with regular sidecutters, leave an incredibly sharp end sticking out just enough to slice you open like a sharp knife. They just do in a more painful manner due to the angle on the end.
These are only for use on softer material like copper wire and plastics or you'll ruin the cutting edge. Once you have a set you'll never go back or feel safe around ty-raps without one.
https://www.amazon.com/KNIPEX-...a-492459959488&psc=1

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
Those 5” Knipex Cobra pliers are the handiest tool in my bag. To add to them, take a look at the Knipex Cobra XS. These two make a very handy addition to your tool kit.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1351 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Just like other quality tools, they are addicting.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Just in case you haven't spent enough yet and you work with Ty-raps much, take a look at these.
Ty-raps, cut off with regular sidecutters, leave an incredibly sharp end sticking out just enough to slice you open like a sharp knife. They just do in a more painful manner due to the angle on the end.
These are only for use on softer material like copper wire and plastics or you'll ruin the cutting edge. Once you have a set you'll never go back or feel safe around ty-raps without one.

What is it that is good about them? Do they cut the ends off flush so there is nothing sticking out to cut?

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amals:
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:

What is it that is good about them? Do they cut the ends off flush so there is nothing sticking out to cut?

Yes.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I have this set for zip ties.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/KN...0-80-90-US/304094989
No more Daggers of Death.

I've pulled my arms out of places and been cut to shreds from zip tie ends.
People get bitched at in my shop for not cutting them off flush.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Pipe Smoker, I’m missing why there are 2 prices for each size tool. What is different about each one?

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I bought this set of Knipex tools for use in the house for 'honey do' jobs and to avoid having to go out to the shop.

Very highly recommended! Plus this is an excellent price: IIRC, I paid well north of $300.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post