SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I bought another Knipex pliers
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I bought another Knipex pliers Login/Join 
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:
Pipe Smoker, I’m missing why there are 2 prices for each size tool. What is different about each one?
The word "new" in the title of the more-expensive one. Other than that, I didn't find any difference in the pictures or descriptions. ???

Posts: 4818 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pipe Smoker, I’m missing why there are 2 prices for each size tool. What is different about each one?

I’m puzzled by your comment. Clicking on the link in my OP I see only one price: $27.49. That’s for Amazon Prime, before sales tax is added on. I’m viewing the site with Safari on my iPhone.

Of course, the “Other sellers on Amazon” panel will likely have other prices.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
My Ipad uses Safari also and the Amazon site shows 2 of each size with 2 different prices. It looks like they used the same image for both old and new styles.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
My Ipad uses Safari also and the Amazon site shows 2 of each size with 2 different prices. It looks like they used the same image for both old and new styles.

I see what you're seeing, and it's because the second duplicate is from a 3rd party vendor and not from Amazon's fulfillment warehouses, so the prices and shipping are a bit different.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Now, would the 5" or 6" be better for all-around tinkering around the house?

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
6" for general around the house, but you'd be better served by having a small and large. Some projects can take advantage of the additional leverage of a larger tool.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Thank you two munches, Mr. Nismo. I was thinking it must be the difference between the alligator and Cobra styles.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I like Knipex very much, and cannot begin to count the number of their products I have. Some in multiple sizes: Cobras, Alligators, diagonal cutters, end nippers, pliers wrenches (a very handy tool), long nose pliers, extended long nose pliers, combination pliers, and I know I've forgotten some.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:

I think that the 6” size is likely the best choice for most folks.

And I’m thinking that the 6” Knipex Cobra would make the best nut cracker ever! Even tough walnuts would be easily cracked.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
I bought this set of Knipex tools for use in the house for 'honey do' jobs and to avoid having to go out to the shop.

Very highly recommended! Plus this is an excellent price: IIRC, I paid well north of $300.

I have the same set, twice. Bought the insulated set for at work and ended up picking up another set for the house.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3851 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love Knipex stuff, but the pliers I bought at Sears, called "Robogrip" a while back kick their butt. I'd say that the Robogrip technology is 3 times better (for me) than Knipex or Channelocks where you need to set the size first.

BTW, I have the 1000 volt set that Knipex makes and also their electrical needle-nose and I'm in love with all of that.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I have several sizes of Cobra Pliers and Pliers Wrenches. They are great. I got pissed about a few things I could not get undone and had to grind off a while ago and decided I wasn't going to have that problem anymore.

I added the Cobra XXL to the toolbox. They're 22" long, weigh more than 6 pounds, and the jaws open almost 5".

They are comically large.

I love them.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:

If you're going to do any real work with them (like plumbing) you will appreciate the 10" and perhaps the 12" Cobras (they also make a 16" Cobra). The 10" also have available jaw protectors that fit over the jaws so you won't mar the work (like using them on brass parts). They work on the 10" Cobras or Alligators.

10" Cobras with 5 pair jaw protectors, at Bowers Tool Co.  

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This thread is going to cost me some coin, lol.

Posts: 1513 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
I was unaware of these, great design. Thank you for posting this! PS NOT made in China...how is this possible?!?!?

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1631 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Just in case you haven't spent enough yet and you work with Ty-raps much, take a look at these.
Ty-raps, cut off with regular sidecutters, leave an incredibly sharp end sticking out just enough to slice you open like a sharp knife. They just do in a more painful manner due to the angle on the end.
These are only for use on softer material like copper wire and plastics or you'll ruin the cutting edge. Once you have a set you'll never go back or feel safe around ty-raps without one.
https://www.amazon.com/KNIPEX-...a-492459959488&psc=1

A friend taught me a different approach long ago. With pliers with a flat front grab the tail right at the box it goes through. Twist vigorously. It basically balls it up inside locking it tighter, and twists it off with no sharp edges.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by photohause:
I was unaware of these, great design. Thank you for posting this! PS NOT made in China...how is this possible?!?!?

I think Knipex's patent expired, b/c you can get made-in-China pliers-wrench knock-offs from Irwin and Lenox now.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:

And I’m thinking that the 6” Knipex Cobra would make the best nut cracker ever! Even tough walnuts would be easily cracked.

Thanks. Just ordered the 6". Coincidentally, the 6" is the only one I've ever got to play with that was owned by a co-worker.

posted Hide Post
Our Menards has the 7-1/4", 10" and 12" Cobra in stock. Just bought the two smaller ones the other day. Nice.

Posts: 1179 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post