SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Plastic block window in bathroom - repair or replace?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Plastic block window in bathroom - repair or replace? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I have a window in the bathroom above the tub - it's about 4x4' and the caulking (or whatever is in the seams between the individual blocks) is coming out. The caulking remains in basically one solid grid-like piece but it's coming off the block so that I can lift and see the individual blocks.

The window was installed with the house back in 2001.

Is this something that is just repaired (re-caulked? New pre-fab grid?) in place? Or do I replace the entire window with what seems to be new pre-fab set of blocks (in fixed sizes)?

How much would it typically cost for the recommend fix method (materials and labor if I have to hire someone)?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Personally, if it were my home and I planned to occupy it for some time, I'd remove it all and replace it with a single unit. If the current block install is in the condition you note, getting it properly sealed up and secure by simply trying to repair it is likely going to be futile.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
consider replacing with glass and smart tint film
https://www.electronichouse.co...ronic-window-shades/

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Here's some pics if it helps.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Tagged to follow.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Just pull it all out then clean it then caulk it with Polyurethane window caulk/sealant.
I see no need to pull all of them out especially if the seal/caulk on the inside is fine.
Not a big deal to do but you need a clean dry surface for the caulk to cling.

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I’d pooky up that cracked stucco at the window corner as well. You don’t want rain water to get in there and rot the substrate or rust the lath.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Huh. At first glance I thought it was glass block, but then I read it is plastic block. Is the plastic block really one large piece molded to look like individual blocks? Is the white material actually caulking or is it some sort of trim specifically for this plastic block?

If the whole window is one piece molded to look like individual blocks, I would guess that the white stuff is trim specifically for your window. If that's the case, I'd try to glue it back in place.

If the window is individual plastic blocks, I would think it's caulk. In which case, I'd clean out the old caulk and recaulk it.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the blocks still feel solid, I would clean any residue off, and then redo it with a quality silicone sealant.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Huh. At first glance I thought it was glass block, but then I read it is plastic block. Is the plastic block really one large piece molded to look like individual blocks? Is the white material actually caulking or is it some sort of trim specifically for this plastic block?

If the whole window is one piece molded to look like individual blocks, I would guess that the white stuff is trim specifically for your window. If that's the case, I'd try to glue it back in place.

If the window is individual plastic blocks, I would think it's caulk. In which case, I'd clean out the old caulk and recaulk it.

Hmmm, if it is one piece plastic block then the trim is most likely cosmetic ? > then I'd just use some silicone adhesive to reapply the existing.

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you in my neighborhood? That looks like my bathroom window as of a few years ago.. same color stucco, and everything.

mine got a hammer and replaced with a real window. with blinds, not films.

Then one good thing about those plastic blocks if you can get past all the ugly is that they insulate well. No problems with the window I replaced with, but at a previous house the high humidity makes lots of condensation on poorly insulated windows in cold winters and runs down and rots the sills.

Posts: 231 | Location: Reidville, SC | Registered: October 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Considering the simplicity of a picture window (tempered since bathroom?) but it seems like it would cost about $1000-$1500 (parts and labor). My concern is about double paned windows eventually fogging up inside and needing to be replaced. But would like this, especially if I could get a small rectangular window (1' x 4') at the top that I could open up for the whole house fan.

Still not sure what to do if I just stick with the existing style. Sounds like options include: 1) replacing with new blocks, 2) re-caulk with polyurethane/silicone.

I'll check again but I think it's a bunch of individual blocks - seems like there is a seam that goes all the way through to the inside between blocks.

I'm planning to have the house painted this summer as well - if they use elastomeric paint, they will fix cracks in the wall before painting.

posted Hide Post
It should be relatively easy to re-caulk. Tape along the edges after you clean the surface to be caulked, run a bead of caulk as smooth as you can caulk it (cut the tip at a 45 degree angle), and then run a wet finger along the wet caulk to smooth it as you go along. Carefully peel the painters tape before the caulk is completely dry but relatively stiff.

I'm not sure on the costs or types of windows up North, but a high quality single casement PGT impact window with 7/16" glass in that size would run around $700-800 installed her in South Florida, less if you went with single hung or horizontal rollar. Tempered so you can't see through it would add about $150. I would think a non impact window would cost less.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Re caulk it with silicone. Or a flexible, UV resistant paintable caulk. Your choice.

I don't see anything that warrants replacing the whole shebang.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I'll find a window company to re-caulk. I'm guessing $150-300 for the job, inside and out?

I've caulked things around the house before. I absolutely suck at it and make a horrific mess of it. I've come to accept that I should not handle caulk and caulk guns. Smile

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Thanks guys. I'll find a window company to re-caulk. I'm guessing $150-300 for the job, inside and out?

I've caulked things around the house before. I absolutely suck at it and make a horrific mess of it. I've come to accept that I should not handle caulk and caulk guns. Smile

Yeah, in that price range.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post