SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Today Is The 26-Year Anniversary Of Jim Rome’s Famous Altercation With Jim Everett
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Today Is The 26-Year Anniversary Of Jim Rome’s Famous Altercation With Jim Everett Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
Ha! I never heard of this before. It's hilarious! And please, don't tell me it was staged - I really need this to be real today Big Grin

https://dailycaller.com/2020/0...ltercation-26-years/

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Haha, that was great.

I'm not really clear why he kept calling him Chris though.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30398 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Angry Korean
with a Dark Soul
Picture of Windhover
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Haha, that was great.

Rome was insinuating that Everett was unmanly. By calling him Chris, Rome was invoking Chris Evert, the female tennis player.

This stemmed from the fact that ONE TIME, Jim Everett flopped and took a sack without getting hit rather than get blasted by a defensive end.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
And please, don't tell me it was staged - I really need this to be real today

^^^^^
It is legit.

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Haha, that was great.

As in Chris Everett, the female tennis player.

Rome wasn't a fan of Jim Everett and referred to him as a woman. To JE's credit, he went on the show to try and smooth things over, Rome obviously wasn't having any of it.

He lost his TV gig after this and wasn't back on anything major until a few years after his radio show blew up.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Haha, oh right. Thanks

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30398 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
It's real. Rome was, & is a smug asshole. Everett should've drilled a few times, really good. He figured he was safe on TV. He figured wrong.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I remember the incident, seeing a replay on TV. The times I listened to the guy, I wanted to punch him in the face, he was such an asshole.

The...way...he...pauses...when...he...dramatically....speaks... Roll Eyes

Plus his use of "hip" clever-in-his-mind catch phrases was more than annoying. Haven't heard him in decades, since I tuned out of pro sports. He was even worse than Keith Olbermann, another sports asshole.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16658 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Rome, Olbermann, Skip Bayless.

Million-dollar egos, ten-cent heads.

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rome's screaming like a little girl did make me smile!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
For Rome to insinuate Everett was a pussy for trying to duck out of another hit/sack says more about Rome than Everett. Even today with all the QB protections in place a guy still has to hang in there & take the licks. Much more so in those days. I'd like to see Rome stand in the pocket & pass the ball knowing what was coming.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Classic! Thanks for posting. I remember this, and used to watch his show and listen to his radio show quite a bit.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snoris:
Rome, Olbermann, Skip Bayless.

Million-dollar egos, ten-cent heads.

You forgot Colin Cowherd

Posts: 13225 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The day Jim Rome left zero doubt that he's a complete tool.

Posts: 4276 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I always wished Everett would’ve punched him right in the face. Then again Rome probably would’ve sued him being the pussy that he is.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3960 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting! Jim is a fellow Purdue alumni and somehow I didn’t know/remember this.

Imagine what sportscasters would be like today if more 80s and 90s era players whooped reporters in the infancy of 24 hr sports networks.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23194 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
Jim Rome singlehandedly got me to stop watching ESPN.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8349 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
I knew Jim when he played for the Saints when my wife worked for them. He really was a nice guy. I remember the first time we met, the team asked me to drive him to Newark Airport as he wasn't travelling on the team plane because of the impending birth of his child. The trip from Giants Stadium to the airport I had to keep reminding myself NOT to mistakenly call him Chrissy.

Funniest part was trying to fit him into my 94 Ford Explorer. Had to open the sunroof.

He wanted to give us a hundred dollar bill for a ten minute trip. Refused and he sent us one of his jersey's autographed.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XinTX:
Jim Rome singlehandedly got me to stop watching ESPN.

Then he did you a favor. ESPN has gotten much worse since then.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
My only regret was that Everett didn’t kick Rome’s ass further.

Posts: 13804 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post