SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone Have Issues With Wine Giving Them Heartburn?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Have Issues With Wine Giving Them Heartburn? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
First off, I know I’m probably a good 50 lbs overweight from what I *should* be for my body type and height. I’m 6 feet even and pushing 240 and should be 185-195. I think beginning a weight loss program will alleviate a lot of this?

I like wine but don’t drink it a whole lot. Lately it seems like a little as half a glass or a single glass will give me TERRIBLE heartburn that lasts for a couple hours. What gives? Should I see a doctor about this? Beer does not cause it, could it be the acid in the wine? It does seem to happen more severely with white than red.

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Most wine gives me a headache and/or heartburn. It's the worst with really sweet whites, like Rieslings and Moscatos, which my wife loves.

Same with many liquors (especially Tequila).

I stick to beer, and the occasional small glass of red wine.

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Only when my wife drinks it! Big Grin

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enjoy Computer Living
Picture of LoungeChair
posted Hide Post
Yes indeed. Certain things give me heartburn. Red wine and tomato based foods at dinner time are a pretty sure thing. Red wine has bothered me since I was 40 or so. A Prilosec before bed usually keeps me from suffering too much.

-Loungechair

Posts: 674 | Registered: October 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Are you sure it's heartburn (which would really be stomach)? It could be early Alcoholic Liver Disease. The overweight thing almost certainly indicates a fatty liver, which would set the stage. Time for a doc visit and some blood workup.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Here's something I learned.

I was coughing for a long while which my primary doctor diagnosed as allergy.

Symptom is if I'm eating or drinking, I wouldn't cough. If I start coughing, just drinking water or swallowing my own saliva didn't stop the cough. I needed Ricola or some logenze to stop the coughing.

Went to an ENT doctor who stuck a telescope through my nose and down my throat. Had some anesthesia so it wasn't bad.

Diagnosis was I have mild chronic acid reflux.

He said coffee, lettuce, alcohol will exacerbate the condition. So maybe you have some kind of acid reflux and the alcohol in the wine is making the symptom pronounced for you.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
High standards,
low expectations
Picture of Surefire
posted Hide Post
Wine is acidic, with a fairly low pH, which in combination with alcohol isn’t going to help heartburn, that’s for sure.
I suffer at times similar to yourself, but usually all it takes is a tums to calm things down. Haven’t had to use more extreme heartburn medications for years now, which is nice.

The reward for hard work, is more hard work arcwelder76, 2013

Posts: 5252 | Location: Edmonton AB, Canada | Registered: July 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Yes. If I drink any kind of alcohol, or coffee, or eat greasy food within a few hours of bedtime I am kept awake with acid reflux.
Pro-tip on the weight....I’m pretty slender framed, the farther below 200 I keep my weight, the less stuff like that bothers me.

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Sailor1911, I must say I experience the same outcome! Eek LMBO!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I suffered a lot years ago from what apparently was acid reflux. It was terrible. I would wake up ready to throw up, coughing uncontrollably, never threw up but my inards seemed on fire. I figured it was stress from doing Wilford Brimley’s nude scenes as a body double. I peaked at 270.

In retrospect, it must be tied to weight. The problem started as I gained weight, seemed to peak with weight, and has abated as I have lost weight. My then doctor had me take an antacid twice a day for some relief. I’ve now gone to one ranitadine 150 a day and may end that.

I’ve been losing weight steadily since the first of the year, at about 220, and have very little appetite. This morning, I was at 206.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Any type of alcoholic beverage gives me heartburn. I sure miss margaritas at the Mexican restaurant.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LoungeChair:
Yes indeed. Certain things give me heartburn. Red wine and tomato based foods at dinner time are a pretty sure thing. Red wine has bothered me since I was 40 or so. A Prilosec before bed usually keeps me from suffering too much.

Red wine is acidic. Usually I don't have an issue with it. BUT, when you mix a meal that's acidic also like tomato sauce (Like Chicken Parm) AND red wine, I'll get heartburn once in a while.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure of the difference between heartburn and acid reflux but ...

A tailor I have not seen in 18 months was consulted Saturday. He remarked on my weight loss. I stopped eating after 5pm, I said. Plus nearly no junk food.

He said he was getting acid reflux and his doc said to eat more smaller meals, five or so, and do not eat after 6pm. His acid reflux went away.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
See your doctor.

Dealing with GERD for 25 years

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Yes, wine will do it. The worst bout of GERDs I had was after some friends of the family were in town and their favorite wine was red, so I bought a big box on their recommendation.
After their stay, quite a bit was left, so I continued to drink it over the next week.

I didn't make a connection but by the end I could not stomach any food, doctor recommended prylosec, and was on it for half a year before I finally dropped it to see if I could go w/o.

By then I had lost enough weight that I didn't need my BP pills.

Many wines also have sulfites and people who are sensitive seem to get headaches.

Posts: 7319 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Wine doesn’t give me heartburn. Nothing does – I have the proverbial cast iron stomach. Don’t know what to thank for that blessing. I do keep my weight under control, thanks to the discipline sternly imposed on me by my SECA 876 bathroom scale. The SECA cost me $360, but I consider that money well spent.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Weight and diet are certainly factors. Genetics can also be, I'm within my BMI, however many in my family have acid reflux.

There's three food types I know of that will trigger a very uncomfortable evening: rich foods, acidic foods and lots of alcohol. I take a Prilosec or, it's generic brother Omeprazole (super cheap at Costco) this greatly helps calm things down. The danger is you can't take it more than 3-month straight at a time or, you'll damage your liver. So, moderate and balance your diet and of course see your physician.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
White wine gives me heartburn. Red wine I can drink a bottle and have no issues. Watermelon gives me heartburn too so maybe it's a sugar thing....I just avoid both.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
Weight can certainly be a factor, but isn't necessarily. I have had pretty severe reflux issues and so has my son ( I weigh 110, and the kid is pretty thin also). We didn't nail down any specific food triggers, but neither of us has had much trouble since drinking a little Apple Cider Vinegar daily for a couple of months.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Most wine gives me a headache and/or heartburn.

Not heartburn, but certain red wines (Malbec) give me a headache. (I never drink white wine so can't speak to that.)

I don't recall if other reds have caused a headache, but it's happened so many times with Malbec that I won't drink it anymore.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6370 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post